Gas Guzzling on the Decline!

Old January 3rd 11, 04:42 AM posted to alt.politics.usa.republican,alt.politics.democrats.d,talk.politics.misc,rec.autos.driving
Car Crashes Mean Car Sales - GM loves highway criminals

Default Gas Guzzling on the Decline!

On Dec 31 2010, 1:51*pm, RichTravsky >
wrote:
> [...]
> *20 percent less gasoline than today, experts say, even as millions of more
> *cars clog the roads.
>
> *The country's thirst for gasoline is shrinking as cars and trucks become
> *more fuel-efficient, the government mandates the use of more ethanol and
> *people drive less.
> *...
> *But this time looks different. Government and industry officials including
> *the CEO of Exxon Mobil say U.S. gasoline demand has peaked for good. It
> *has declined four years in a row and will not reach the 2006 level again,
> *even when the economy fully recovers.
> *...
> *Americans are burning an average of 8.2 million barrels 344 million
> *gallons of gasoline per day in 2010, a figure that excludes the ethanol
> *blended into gasoline. That's 8 percent less than at the 2006 peak,
> *according to government data.
>
> *The decline is expected to accelerate for several reasons.
>
> * Starting with the 2012 model year, cars will have to hit a higher fuel
> *economy target for the first time since 1990. Each carmaker's fleet must
> *average 30.1 mpg, up from 27.5. By the 2016 model year, that number must
> *rise to 35.5 mpg. And, starting next year, SUVs and minivans, once
> *classified as trucks, will count toward passenger vehicle targets.
>
> * The auto industry is introducing cars that run partially or entirely on
> *electricity, and the federal government is providing billions of dollars in
> *subsidies to increase production and spur sales.
>
> * By 2022, the country's fuel mix must include 36 billion gallons of ethanol
> *and other biofuels, up from 14 billion gallons in 2011. Put another way,
> *biofuels will account for roughly one of every four gallons sold at the
> *pump.
>
> * Gasoline prices are forecast to stay high as developing economies in Asia
> *and the Middle East use more oil.
>
> *There are demographic factors at work, too. Baby boomers will drive less as
> *they age. The surge of women entering the work force and commuting in recent
> *decades has leveled off. And the era of Americans commuting ever farther
> *distances appears to be over. One measure of this, vehicle miles traveled
> *per licensed driver, began to flatten in the middle of the last decade after
> *years of sharp growth.
> *...
> *The shift from SUVs began in 2004 and has saved Americans $15 billion on
> *gasoline this year, according to the National Resources Defense Council. By
> *2020, improved fuel economy is expected to lower annual carbon dioxide
> *emissions by 400 billion pounds, the equivalent of taking 32 million cars
> *off the road.
>
> *In reality, there will be 27 million more cars on the road a total of 254
> *million a decade from now, according to government projections.
> *...
>
> Excellent news - less dependence on foreign oil.

We could easily make gas consumption fall even more if we took away
the drivers license of dangerous drivers. All convicted DUIs should
lose their license for 5 years. Same with anyone caught doing 20+ MPH
over the limit on a freeway. Stop coddling these killers and we'll
save gas and lives and $100 billion a year in medical expenses.
Old January 3rd 11, 08:14 PM posted to alt.politics.usa.republican,alt.politics.democrats.d,talk.politics.misc,rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Jan 3, 5:16*am, Mr.B1ack > wrote:
> >We could easily make gas consumption fall even more if we took away
> >the drivers license of dangerous drivers. *

> * *Are you nuts ? They drive more - and faster ... meaning
> * *both oil companies and oil speculators make MO' MONEY !
> * *Oil companies and speculators BUY POLITICIANS and REGULATORS.
> * *Ergo, no such law will come to be.

We apparently haven't learned yet. Saw a report last week that SUV
sales are high and rising again.

Harry K
Old January 4th 11, 06:04 AM posted to alt.politics.usa.republican,alt.politics.democrats.d,talk.politics.misc,rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Jan 3, 12:11*pm, Mr.B1ack > wrote:
> [...]

> >> Ergo, no such law will come to be.

> >We apparently haven't learned yet. *Saw a report last week that SUV
> >sales are high and rising again.

> * *Lots of those "easy credit / no money down / no
> * *interest 'till 2012" things again too. IMHO, no
> * *meaningful regulation of credit practices has
> * *been implemented either.
>
> * *Nope. Nobody learned a gawddamned thing.
>
> * *The depression isn't nearly deep enough - and
> * *those high gas prices didn't last long enough.
>
> * *Which begs us to wonder ...
>
> * *To some extent, a legit function of govt is to
> * *provide fiscal/social "safety nets" to buffer
> * *the inherent yo-yo aspects of market capitalism.
> * *Big 1st-world societies require that extra
> * *stability. Govt can get everyone over the
> * *roughest bits.
>
> * *However ... often those nasty boom/bust cycles
> * *or other screwups MEAN something ... there's a
> * *collective lesson to be learned. In '29 and '08
> * *the lesson was about indiscriminate lending and
> * *the hazards of speculating using borrowed money.
>
> * *Now '29 was a *disaster* ... vast numbers of
> * *people turned into hobos or flop-house/soup-line
> * *regulars overnight. Even many of "the rich" were
> * *reduced to sweeping floors ... assuming they
> * *didn't just jump off of something high. People
> * *LEARNED the value of a dollar, they LEARNED
> * *that even mighty institutions can crumble to
> * *dust, they LEARNED about the evils of credit
> * *and the wages of sinful speculation. Those
> * *lessons lasted a rather long time. A skeptical,
> * *conservative view of finance became deeply
> * *ingrained in the public psyche.
>
> * *The '08 situation has been different. Govt
> * *immediatly jumped in, bailed even the cappiest,
> * *stupidest banks and lenders, bailed all sorts
> * *of big biz and attempted to 'stimulate' smaller
> * *businesses. Joe Public got his reduced-mortgage
> * *plan, debts reduced, super-extended unemployment
> * *and a lot of other small perks. Joe barely notices
> * *that his job opportunities are still disappearing
> * *to east asia - and therefore doesn't demand strict
> * *measures to stop the outflow.
>
> * *Result ... nobody learned a gawddamned thing.
> * *They're ready to pick up with Hiz & Herz SUVs
> * *and a wallet full of credit cards right where
> * *they left off. Banks are increasigly ready to
> * *indulge such things, even if they're still
> * *paying off their bailouts. The only thing
> * *that's remained down is real estate - though
> * *the govt TRIED to get people hooked on that
> * *again too.
>
> * *So happy days are (sort of) here again ... in
> * *a relative way anyhow. And all that happiness
> * *is paid by BORROWED MONEY - terabuck loans from
> * *countries I wouldn't really call our "friends".
> * *All this sets the stage for a far worse crash
> * *a few years hence.
>
> * *So, did govt do good ... or do evil ?
>
> * *Should this depression have really HURT, enough

If I ever buy another car, I suspect it will be a hybrid or full
electric. I am retired in my 70s. 99.9% of my driving is a radius of
30 miles and the remaining trips are only 100 miles roundtrip.

Harry K
Old January 4th 11, 06:25 AM posted to alt.politics.usa.republican,alt.politics.democrats.d,talk.politics.misc,rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_7_]

On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 15:11:38 -0500, Mr.B1ack > wrote:

<< bit 'O snip >>

> So happy days are (sort of) here again ... in
> a relative way anyhow. And all that happiness
> is paid by BORROWED MONEY - terabuck loans from
> countries I wouldn't really call our "friends".
> All this sets the stage for a far worse crash
> a few years hence.

As the saying goes: those that don't learn from history are doomed to
repeat it.

> So, did govt do good ... or do evil ?

Evil. Government should have made sure that people with money in the
banks were covered as the FDIC is supposed to do. The rest should have
been left to lose their shirts. WHen one invests in such things as
sticks or all these mortgage backed derivatives that were being
packaged and sold, what the investor is taking is called, "risk," for
a reason.

Now those same wreckless investors are going to be even bolder in
their risk taking since the bailouts of 2008/2009 have conditioned
them to believe that big daddy government will come running to the
rescue when things go bad.

> Should this depression have really HURT, enough
> so everyone learned something ?

Apparently it didn't seeing as the cycle has started anew about last
summer or so...

--
President (sic) George W Bush says something intelligent:

Old January 4th 11, 06:29 AM posted to alt.politics.usa.republican,alt.politics.democrats.d,talk.politics.misc,rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_7_]

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 21:04:29 -0800 (PST), Harry K
> wrote:

>If I ever buy another car, I suspect it will be a hybrid or full
>electric. I am retired in my 70s. 99.9% of my driving is a radius of
>30 miles and the remaining trips are only 100 miles roundtrip.

That just gave me a pleasant thought: should that wonderful day come
soon that electric cars are truly viable - i.e. range of current ICE
powered cars and can be recharged in the same time that it takes to
refuel a car now - the maybe - just maybe - the oil companies will
decide that it just doesn't make sense to sell gas in the USA.

Then our resident troll - whom I call S4B - won't beable to get gas
for its beater and will be off the road...

--
Aunt Judy defends a known *drunk driver*:

"Almost all vehicle 'accidents' are due to driver
recklessness but the Chappaquidick incident is one
instance where it may really have been no ones
fault except the idiot who built the bridge."
--"Laura Bush murdered her boyfriend,"
(currently known as Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are MURDERERS) 11/10/2005
Ref: http://tinyurl.com/9jtjt
Msg ID:
Old January 5th 11, 07:00 AM posted to alt.politics.usa.republican,alt.politics.democrats.d,talk.politics.misc,rec.autos.driving
Ray Fischer

Mr.B1ack > wrote:
>necromancer
><Zidane's_Last_Red_Card@worldofnecromancer_no_spa m_no_way.org> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 21:04:29 -0800 (PST), Harry K
> wrote:
>>
>>>If I ever buy another car, I suspect it will be a hybrid or full
>>>electric. I am retired in my 70s. 99.9% of my driving is a radius of
>>>30 miles and the remaining trips are only 100 miles roundtrip.

>>That just gave me a pleasant thought: should that wonderful day come
>>soon that electric cars are truly viable - i.e. range of current ICE
>>powered cars and can be recharged in the same time that it takes to
>>refuel a car now - the maybe - just maybe - the oil companies will
>>decide that it just doesn't make sense to sell gas in the USA.

> And then pigs will fly :-)
>
> The "perfect" electric system isn't anywhere
> near. Batteries STILL suck, despite the vast
> amounts of R&D being put into them, and fuel
> cells suck even more (picky, expensive and
> not roadworthy - or moron-resistant).
>
> Liquid fuels pack a tremendous amount of energy
> into a small, conveniently-handled, rapidly-
> replenishable (even by morons) package.

The problem is that they all depend upon taking O2 from the public's
environment and dumping waste products for other people to deal with.

--
Ray Fischer | Mendacracy (n.) government by lying