96 SL1 cooling fan inopperable

Old June 4th 05, 03:59 AM
jogone

Default 96 SL1 cooling fan inopperable

My car overheats with the AC on, except while driving on the highway. I
check the 30 amp fuse in the engine compartment and it looks good, there
is also a relay but don't know how to check it. I don't want to buy
another fan unless i know this one is bad. Can someone please help?
Thanks
Jogone

Old June 8th 05, 03:03 PM
Jonnie Santos

Semi Head wrote:
> Date: Fri, Jun 3, 2005, 10:59pm (CDT+1)
>
> From: (jogone)
>
> >My car overheats with the AC on,
> >except while driving on the highway. I
> >check the 30 amp fuse in the engine
> >compartment and it looks good, there is
> >also a relay but don't know how to check
> >it. I don't want to buy another fan unless
> >i know this one is bad. Can someone
> >please help? Thanks
> >

> >Jogone
> >

> I have the same problem with my 95 SC-2.
> Can someone help us?
>
> S_H

Seems like it's probably a failed temp sensor (or bad connector), or the
fan has gone.

So, with the car parked in the driveway, open of the hood, go start the
car and switch the AC on. The fan should come on at the same time.

If not it's either not getting a signal to switch or it's getting the
signal and the fan motor is shot - which wouldn't be surprising given
the age of the cars mentioned above.

Some Saturns (based on model year) have one or two sensors (maybe 1 is a
sensor and the other a sending unit - can't remember). They are
relatively cheap, but I hate throwing parts at a problem hoping for the
best.

I wasn't able to tell how it is determined either car is overheating.
My fan on a '97 didn't used to come on until the temp gage was waaaay
over to the right (3/4 mark) which was perfectly normal, and then when I
got a new temp sensor the fan started coming on at the 1/2 mark. Since
I don't know the actual engine temp, I'd have to assume the gage reading
changed but not the trigger temp for the fan to switch on. And I don't
know if the signal from the sensor bounces through the PCM or goes
directly to a gage, but that's a whole other (probably unessessary)
conversation - nevermind...

Old June 10th 05, 08:42 AM
Semi Head

Actually my fan no longer works with the air on. It never runs now but
did fine, two weeks ago.
The Service Engine lite does not come on. It heats-up at red lights &
slow speeds esp. with air on, but temp does ok if no air is on.

i replaced that temp sending sensor 2 months ago. The strange is, the
normal operation temp is barely above 1/4 on the gauge.
i just bought the car 3 months ago, it had extreme problems.
Had to replace Fuel Filter & EGR valve plus the Temp Control sensor on
the engine block.

Mr. Jonnie=A0Santos, so what do you think i should do ?
& how to do it ?

thanks.

S_H

Orginal Post & responses:

Date: Fri, Jun 3, 2005, 10:59pm (CDT+1)

Old June 10th 05, 02:58 PM
Jonnie Santos

Semi Head wrote:
> Actually my fan no longer works with the air on. It never runs now but
> did fine, two weeks ago.
> The Service Engine lite does not come on. It heats-up at red lights &
> slow speeds esp. with air on, but temp does ok if no air is on.
>
> i replaced that temp sending sensor 2 months ago. The strange is, the
> normal operation temp is barely above 1/4 on the gauge.
> i just bought the car 3 months ago, it had extreme problems.
> Had to replace Fuel Filter & EGR valve plus the Temp Control sensor on
> the engine block.

I'm loosing track of who is who (both posts have same similar prob).
You're speaking of the sending unit, so I'm guessing you are the 1995.
Since the fan quit completely after the sensor was replaced I'm suspect
of that - read below...

*Chilton's says "On 1991-1995 Saturn models, a coolant temperature
sender, as well as a coolant temperature sensor, are used. Be careful
not to confuse the singe-wire coolant temperature sender used by the
instrument cluster temperature gage with the 2-wire sensor used by the
PCM. On 1996-98 Saturn models, only one 2-wire sensor is used to
perform both function.

*Chilton's 1991-08 Saturn Repair Manual (8419) 62300, Page 2-12
Old June 12th 05, 06:06 PM
Semi Head

I replaced the 2 wire temp sensor located on the engine block (1995
SC-2)

All fan & temp functions worked fine until 1 week ago. The cooling fan,
no longer runs period (even if AC is turned on).
Is it the Fan motor or a relay?
Where is the relay, i can not find it to test.

Thanks

S_H

Old June 13th 05, 01:03 AM
Jonnie Santos

Semi Head wrote:
> I replaced the 2 wire temp sensor located on the engine block (1995
> SC-2)
>
> All fan & temp functions worked fine until 1 week ago. The cooling fan,
> no longer runs period (even if AC is turned on).
> Is it the Fan motor or a relay?
> Where is the relay, i can not find it to test.
>
> Thanks
>
> S_H

It quit working after you changed the sensor, right? Chiltons shows a
sensor (forward) and a sender (towards firewall). In the drawing they
look to located with a couple of inches of each other.

The sensor (forward) has two wires that feed the PCM, and the sender
(towards firewall) has a single wire connection. Chiltons specifies to
not confuse the two.

So if you bought one, and not the other, I'd be suspect the one you
didn't replace.

There's a page on fan testing. Page 3-26 talks about testing. There's a
30-amp maxi fuse under in the under hood junction box labeled COOL FAN.
The relay appears to be in the same junction box.

Any chance you can just take it to the dealer? I had really good luck
with mine way back when - and Saturn parts are not that expensive (labor
is pretty much standard I think, 70-80/hour). Just a thought...

Old June 13th 05, 11:20 AM
Semi Head

In the forum (url) below, i found the answers need for all cooling fan
related problems for SC2, SL2, SW2 models made before the year 2000.
Should help SL1 owners too.

From the info gleaned from that xtremegm.com thread (below) i will be
able to fix my cooling fan problem.
it seems, the odds are on the fan motor .

S_H

http://xtremegm.com/forums/printthread.php?t=292&pp=40

Old June 27th 05, 12:12 AM
Kirk Kohnen

The cooling fan (radiator fan) motor on Saturns is a wear item. It has
brushes in there that just wear out.

When the cooling fan stops working on a 96-99 Saturn or so with lots of
miles, it's about 98% probability the fan motor.

NOT the relay (those almost never go out).

lkaboutautos.com...

Old June 28th 05, 08:00 PM
The Real Tom

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 16:12:57 -0700, "Kirk Kohnen"
> wrote:

>The cooling fan (radiator fan) motor on Saturns is a wear item. It has
>brushes in there that just wear out.
>
>When the cooling fan stops working on a 96-99 Saturn or so with lots of
>miles, it's about 98% probability the fan motor.

On my 96SL2, it was a temp switch that prevented the fan from
operating.

later,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

>NOT the relay (those almost never go out).

alkaboutautos.com...