Opinion on iRacing short falls.

Old May 23rd 09, 01:07 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ken MacKay[_2_]

Default Opinion on iRacing short falls.

Tony R wrote:
> They have announced that when private leagues are introduced (August)
> that drivers will require the appropriate license for the class.

Can someone post this annoucement (or a link)? Very curious to see what
they have in mind for leagues. Thanks.
Old May 23rd 09, 01:29 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
schooner

"Ken MacKay" > wrote in message
> Tony R wrote:
>> They have announced that when private leagues are introduced (August)
>> that drivers will require the appropriate license for the class.

> Can someone post this annoucement (or a link)? Very curious to see what
> they have in mind for leagues. Thanks.

Ken - I believe it is all just in a forum thread within iRacing.
It doesn't sound to be a fully controllable league like you may have seen
with NR2003 however but I haven't read all the details, jsut glanced over
it.

Old May 23rd 09, 10:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Niles Anders[_1_]

> The majority of users are there to have fun, but the fact is that
> there are plenty of those who use it for training, including top-level
> professional drivers.

I just don't believe this. What do top level racers need iRacing for?
There are a hundred times as many racers that don't use iRacing or even
think they need iRacing. More iRacing zealousness. iRacing and it's
driving school game is irrelevant.

I know a lot of SIM Racers that are iRacers and I know of some real
racers that are SIM racers that have tried iRacing. I also know real
racers that are rFactor racing too. The common thread is they are
"competition junkies" playing a racing game and the driving school game
in iRacing is unnecessary for them to satisfy their competition itch.
iRacers tell me so. The people racing rFactor don't even think about
training. There is a very similar training system built into to rFactor
that everyone by-passes with the by-pass code ISI_BABYFACTORY. Why,
because it's irrelevant.
Old May 23rd 09, 10:49 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

On May 24, 12:06 am, Niles Anders > wrote:
> I just don't believe this. What do top level racers need iRacing for?

What do F1 drivers need simulators for? The fact is, most of them use
one for training. NASCAR Sprint Cup is essentially a spec series, and
the drivers don't necessarily need customized software. The same goes
for IRL, which is probably coming to iRacing soon.

> There are a hundred times as many racers that don't use iRacing or even
> think they need iRacing. More iRacing zealousness. iRacing and it's
> driving school game is irrelevant.

No, your point about "hundred times as many racers" is what is
irrelevant. The fact that there are plenty of real life drivers that
don't use iRacing doesn't change the fact that there are plenty who
do.

> The people racing rFactor don't even think about
> training.

And it shows on the public servers.

iRacing should tweak their system so that more experienced drivers
could advance quicker (although you can get from rookie to C class in
a matter of a few days anyway), but the system is very efficient in
keeping most of the craziness in the rookie series.
Old May 23rd 09, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony R

Niles Anders wrote:

> I know a lot of SIM Racers that are iRacers and I know of some real
> racers that are SIM racers that have tried iRacing. I also know real
> racers that are rFactor racing too. The common thread is they are
> "competition junkies" playing a racing game and the driving school game
> in iRacing is unnecessary for them to satisfy their competition itch.
> iRacers tell me so.

I think the training benefits are marginal. In terms of track
familiarisation racing sims have been used for many years and iRacing is
the most accurate. Whether when it comes to getting to the track,
millimetre perfect simulation really matters or the fact of knowing it
is a hairpin and not a 4th gear turn is what is really important - the
track could be 2 seconds slower due to the temperature and wind levels
from one day to the next preventing you replicating your iRacing lap the
night before. The most accurate sim would seem a good start though.

The driving school you refer to is the license progression (there is no
driving school per se) which is welcomed by many as providing some much
needed structure to the free for all sim racing that has become a world
apart from real racing. It also provides a much more accessible route
for new entries into online sim racing.

Most long term sim racers I know have found it a breeze moving up the
ranks but it is quite different from downloading an rFactor mod and
jumping online with it that night.

Experience in real racing or sim racing counts for nothing in iRacing
which in my view provides a degree of equality just as a local hero in
12 car rallies at his motor club has to earn a license to race on track
in real life.

One of the great things about computer games is the ability to live out
fantasies of driving exotic cars and iRacing is something of an
exception. Contrary to the view that iRacing aim to dominate computer
based racing the fact they provide such a structured approach means
there will always be a place for other sims providing a driver to leap
into an Aston Martin and run with friends or against computer AI tweaked
to your own performance - and nothing wrong with that.

In this respect iRacing feels like starting over - almost like a South
American racer leaving his mates and moving to the UK to compete in
British F3 and turning up at cold, damp race track and learning a new
culture. Initially tough but if the drive is there success and
progression will follow.

As iRacing grows so will the formats and options but the structure is
very important to align sim racing with real racing and develop it as a
sport. That same structure will seem irrelevant to groups who have
developed their own structure albeit for a group of 20-30 and iRacing is
not a sim that can simply be picked up and used as we have seen with
previous boxed titles, so it won't appeal to everyone and there are
alternatives that can provide what these groups seek - which is good for
ongoing competition.

Cheers
Tony

Old May 24th 09, 10:36 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony R

Ken MacKay wrote:
> Can someone post this annoucement (or a link)? Very curious to see what
> they have in mind for leagues. Thanks.

No announcement as such, the proposals were being developed for
implementation next season although this now looks like it will be the
following season (November?). So we will have to wait and see, something
we sim racers are really good at
Old May 24th 09, 08:42 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David Fisher's Left Testicle

"Niles Anders" > wrote in message

>> The majority of users are there to have fun, but the fact is that
>> there are plenty of those who use it for training, including top-level
>> professional drivers.

> I just don't believe this. What do top level racers need iRacing for?
> There are a hundred times as many racers that don't use iRacing or even
> think they need iRacing. More iRacing zealousness. iRacing and it's
> driving school game is irrelevant.
>
> I know a lot of SIM Racers that are iRacers and I know of some real racers
> that are SIM racers that have tried iRacing. I also know real racers that
> are rFactor racing too. The common thread is they are "competition
> junkies" playing a racing game and the driving school game in iRacing is
> unnecessary for them to satisfy their competition itch. iRacers tell me
> so. The people racing rFactor don't even think about training. There is a
> very similar training system built into to rFactor that everyone by-passes
> with the by-pass code ISI_BABYFACTORY. Why, because it's irrelevant.

I'm no great fan of the iRacing system, but you are sounding more and more
biblically apposed with each post. Put your obvious obsession to one side,
why don't you?

Old May 24th 09, 10:24 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

gonna have to do more to OWN sim racing fo sure. too many others doing
things that appeal more and are much less controlling.

Old May 25th 09, 05:12 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jeffareid

> license progression

The downside to this is the time and money a player would be spending
in order to eventually race with the cars and/or tracks that player prefers.
I've always had the impression that this was part of the marketing plan
to increase revenue by forcing players to pay and play for several months
with cars they don't like, before getting to the cars they do want, but
on the other hand it's a scheme that will keep me and many other players
away from the game.

I'm still sticking with my 3 year estimate for how long it will be before
iRacing switches to a more conventional type of racing game structure.

> real world racers

As mentioned, most drivers tend to run at the same tracks, so learning
tracks isn't a big factor. For new tracks, fun runs or track days could
be used to learn tracks if there wasn't sufficient practice time. Games
can be used to learn the basic layout of a new track, but a driver isn't
going to learn his braking and turn in points until some quality
real world time with a particular car and track combination.

Willow Springs layout could be learned from NFS ProStreet, in spite of
the arcade like 5+g's in the turns, the track layout is reasonably
close.

>iRacing versus other racing games

Bottom line is iRacing is just another racing game, perhaps with better
physics (will have to see what rFactor 2 and NFS Shift come up with),
but a lot more expensive, and more restrictive environment, and a long
time spent with undesirable cars to end up in cars that most players
would prefer.

Old May 25th 09, 09:26 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ronald Stoehr

yankees baby wrote:
> Niles its me your old friend, PENIS BOY from Rfactor. Hows it going
> gay?

Oh no, Niles, you woke up the 12 year olds...