Saturn gone?

Old February 17th 09, 11:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
somebody[_2_]

Default Saturn gone?

http://jalopnik.com/5155377/gm-to-of...ost-of-pontiac

Our sources tell us GM's viability plan set to be released at 5:00PM
will kill the Saturn brand by 2011. Pontiac will also go away as a
division. But the nameplate will sorta live on.

So basically, what we've heard is the brand meant to compete against
the foreign brands is dead — Saturn goes away in 2011. There will be
no new products for Saturn and Saturn dealers are getting a video from
Mark LeNeve at 5:00 PM to inform them. We're thinking Mark should cut
a check to send with it. As far as Pontiac, it goes away as a
division. The nameplate will live on on some vehicles — but we've got
no idea what "niche products" they're talking about. More coming
shortly.
Old February 17th 09, 11:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Drooler[_2_]

paper said Chevy, GMC, Caddy and Buick with Saturn, Pontiac gone

Old February 18th 09, 04:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Feb 17, 6:25*pm, somebody > wrote:
> http://jalopnik.com/5155377/gm-to-of...n-brand-most-o...
>
> Our sources tell us GM's viability plan set to be released at 5:00PM
> will kill the Saturn brand by 2011. Pontiac will also go away as a
> division. But the nameplate will sorta live on.
>
> So basically, what we've heard is the brand meant to compete against
> the foreign brands is dead — Saturn goes away in 2011. There will be
> no new products for Saturn and Saturn dealers are getting a video from
> Mark LeNeve at 5:00 PM to inform them. We're thinking Mark should cut
> a check to send with it. As far as Pontiac, it goes away as a
> division. The nameplate will live on on some vehicles — but we've got
> no idea what "niche products" they're talking about. More coming
> shortly.

the check would bounce
Old February 18th 09, 08:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_8_]

"somebody" > wrote in message
> http://jalopnik.com/5155377/gm-to-of...ost-of-pontiac
>
> Our sources tell us GM's viability plan set to be released at 5:00PM
> will kill the Saturn brand by 2011. Pontiac will also go away as a
> division. But the nameplate will sorta live on.

I heard a snippet on NPR that GM was axing Hummer (deservedly) and Saturn.
What that means to us remains to be seen. I say, let it go to Opel if they
must cut it loose.

Old February 18th 09, 08:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
IYM[_2_]

"Oppie" > wrote in message

> "somebody" > wrote in message
>> http://jalopnik.com/5155377/gm-to-of...ost-of-pontiac
>>
>> Our sources tell us GM's viability plan set to be released at 5:00PM
>> will kill the Saturn brand by 2011. Pontiac will also go away as a
>> division. But the nameplate will sorta live on.
>>

> I heard a snippet on NPR that GM was axing Hummer (deservedly) and Saturn.
> What that means to us remains to be seen. I say, let it go to Opel if they
> must cut it loose.

Must be true as usually, Marx is the first one to reply that it's not, and
we haven't heard a peep out of him. I'm bummed, but I expected it. They
should just get rid of all the badges and have everything as a GMC...GMC
Escalade, GMC Vue, GMC Malibu, GMC Torrent, etc, etc...

IYM

Old February 18th 09, 10:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Steve[_52_]

Actually, the official word as of today (02/18/09) is that the date is 2012.

Old February 18th 09, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
David T. Johnson

somebody wrote:
> http://jalopnik.com/5155377/gm-to-of...ost-of-pontiac
>
> Our sources tell us GM's viability plan set to be released at 5:00PM
> will kill the Saturn brand by 2011. Pontiac will also go away as a
> division. But the nameplate will sorta live on.
>
> So basically, what we've heard is the brand meant to compete against
> the foreign brands is dead — Saturn goes away in 2011. There will be
> no new products for Saturn and Saturn dealers are getting a video from
> Mark LeNeve at 5:00 PM to inform them. We're thinking Mark should cut
> a check to send with it. As far as Pontiac, it goes away as a
> division. The nameplate will live on on some vehicles — but we've got
> no idea what "niche products" they're talking about. More coming
> shortly.

The original Saturn S-cars introduced in 1991 were amazingly good cars
considering that they were entirely new and designed and built from the
ground up in a new plant with an entirely new engine. Imagine what
would have happened if GM had not killed off the Saturn Division and the
Saturn manufacturing plant but had stuck with the plan and updated and
improved the original cars? It's hard to have any sympathy for such a
mindlessly stupid and wasteful company as GM is.

--
Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
and Sea Monkey 1.5a
Old February 18th 09, 11:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
HomerH

somebody > wrote in
:

> http://jalopnik.com/5155377/gm-to-of...brand-most-of-
> pontiac
>
> Our sources tell us GM's viability plan set to be released at 5:00PM
> will kill the Saturn brand by 2011. Pontiac will also go away as a
> division. But the nameplate will sorta live on.
>
> So basically, what we've heard is the brand meant to compete against
> the foreign brands is dead — Saturn goes away in 2011. There will be
> no new products for Saturn and Saturn dealers are getting a video from
> Mark LeNeve at 5:00 PM to inform them. We're thinking Mark should cut
> a check to send with it. As far as Pontiac, it goes away as a
> division. The nameplate will live on on some vehicles — but we've got
> no idea what "niche products" they're talking about. More coming
> shortly.

So I wonder what us current Saturn owners will do for service/parts in
the future? I also assume our resale value will be zilch as well.

I should have paid attention to those hairs on my back when I signed on
to give GM one more chance and bought this car...;-[

Old February 19th 09, 12:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Steve[_55_]

Parts and service won't be a problem since every Saturn since 2003ish? is
nothing but a mish-mash of generic GM parts, a few plastic panels, and a
Saturn logo.

Steve

m...

Old February 19th 09, 12:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Feb 18, 7:01*pm, "Steve" > wrote:
> Parts and service won't be a problem since every Saturn since 2003ish? is
> nothing but a mish-mash of generic GM parts, a few plastic panels, and a
> Saturn logo.
>
> Steve
>
> "HomerH" > wrote in message
>
> m...
>

> > somebody > wrote in
> :

> >>http://jalopnik.com/5155377/gm-to-of...brand-most-of-
> >> pontiac

> >> Our sources tell us GM's viability plan set to be released at 5:00PM
> >> will kill the Saturn brand by 2011. Pontiac will also go away as a
> >> division. But the nameplate will sorta live on.

> >> So basically, what we've heard is the brand meant to compete against
> >> the foreign brands is dead - Saturn goes away in 2011. There will be
> >> no new products for Saturn and Saturn dealers are getting a video from
> >> Mark LeNeve at 5:00 PM to inform them. We're thinking Mark should cut
> >> a check to send with it. As far as Pontiac, it goes away as a
> >> division. The nameplate will live on on some vehicles - but we've got
> >> no idea what "niche products" they're talking about. More coming
> >> shortly.

> > So I wonder what us current Saturn owners will do for service/parts in
> > the future? *I also assume our resale value will be zilch as well.

> > I should have paid attention to those hairs on my back when I signed on
> > to give GM one more chance and bought this car...;-[- Hide quoted text -

the plastic won't rust; but they did away with the plastic.

Good Detroit Free Press Article about Saturn: "Saturn has sharp cars,low profile" SMS Saturn 11 May 14th 08 05:35 PM
saturn sw2 CINDY1964 Saturn 1 May 2nd 06 11:10 PM
New to Saturn Paul Saturn 7 December 28th 04 03:52 PM
Saturn is made on Saturn ! Karl-Hugo Weesberg Saturn 1 October 31st 04 04:21 AM
from Saturn fan to Saturn Consultant The Espaz Saturn 1 May 18th 04 10:39 PM