Car Will Not Start

Old December 21st 08, 11:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Snow[_2_]

Default Car Will Not Start

Hi,

I have a Saturn 01 sl2 that will not start it will crank but will not
turn over I don't know if its because it 30 below today or what. Heres
the problem: Car would not start tried to Jump start the car. Car
would not take the jump. So decide to change the battery, still
noting, checked the oil which was VERY low put 4 quarts of oil in the
engine nothing. I think its the altnerator but I don't know. Also I
was leaking Coolent but it has now stoped and now Im leaking
transmission fuild. Can your car not start because of no transmission
fuild? Please Help!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance!
Old December 21st 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
navaidstech

On Dec 21, 5:24*pm, Snow > wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Saturn 01 sl2 that will *not start it will crank but will not
> turn over I don't know if its because it 30 below today or what. Heres
> the problem: *Car would not start tried to Jump start the car. Car
> would not take the jump. So decide to change the battery, still
> noting, checked the oil which was VERY low put 4 quarts of oil in the
> engine nothing. I think its the altnerator but *I don't know. Also I
> was leaking Coolent but it has now stoped and now Im leaking
> transmission fuild. Can your car not start because of no transmission
> fuild? Please Help!!!!!!!!
>
> Thanks in advance!

Oh man, sounds like you need a new car.
Have you checked to make sure you got gas? Is the fuel pump working ?
You should hear a soft whirrrrrrrrr sound coming from the rear of the
vehicle just as you turn your key to battery position (one notch
before crank). The sound will go for a second or so and then stop. If
you don't hear it - it's your pump.
Could be that your gas line froze as well (30 below, yikes!)
If the car doesn't start when jumped, this tells me that it's not your
alternator.

Anyway, bottom line is to make sure gas making its way to the
engine...

Old December 22nd 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article >, Snow > wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a Saturn 01 sl2 that will not start it will crank but will not
>turn over I don't know if its because it 30 below today or what. Heres
>the problem: Car would not start tried to Jump start the car. Car
>would not take the jump. So decide to change the battery, still
>noting, checked the oil which was VERY low put 4 quarts of oil in the
>engine nothing.

If your engine needed four quarts of oil, then you've been running the engine
without any oil. It's probably seized.
Old December 22nd 08, 05:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Dec 22, 8:35*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
> In article >, Snow > wrote:
>
> >Hi,

> >I have a Saturn 01 sl2 that will *not start it will crank but will not
> >turn over I don't know if its because it 30 below today or what. Heres
> >the problem: *Car would not start tried to Jump start the car. Car
> >would not take the jump. So decide to change the battery, still
> >noting, checked the oil which was VERY low put 4 quarts of oil in the
> >engine nothing.

> If your engine needed four quarts of oil, then you've been running the engine
> without any oil. It's probably seized.

so, are you going to get another saturn ?
Old December 23rd 08, 12:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Snow[_2_]

On Dec 21, 4:38*pm, navaidstech > wrote:
> On Dec 21, 5:24*pm, Snow > wrote:
>
> > Hi,

> > I have a Saturn 01 sl2 that will *not start it will crank but will not
> > turn over I don't know if its because it 30 below today or what. Heres
> > the problem: *Car would not start tried to Jump start the car. Car
> > would not take the jump. So decide to change the battery, still
> > noting, checked the oil which was VERY low put 4 quarts of oil in the
> > engine nothing. I think its the altnerator but *I don't know. Also I
> > was leaking Coolent but it has now stoped and now Im leaking
> > transmission fuild. Can your car not start because of no transmission
> > fuild? Please Help!!!!!!!!

> > Thanks in advance!

> Oh man, sounds like you need a new car.
> Have you checked to make sure you got gas? Is the fuel pump working ?
> You should hear a soft whirrrrrrrrr sound coming from the rear of the
> vehicle just as you turn your key to battery position (one notch
> before crank). The sound will go for a second or so and then stop. If
> you don't hear it - it's your pump.
> Could be that your gas line froze as well (30 below, yikes!)
> If the car doesn't start when jumped, this tells me that it's not your
> alternator.
>
> Anyway, bottom line is to make sure gas making its way to the
> engine...

OK, So today I added a bottle of ISO HEET and some gas previously was
at 1/4 tank now at 1/2 , replaced the battery, .........still
nothing .... sprayed starter spray in the carb. still nothing I don't
think the engine seizes because it would just click instead of faking
like it wants to turn over..(actually had that happen before)...so I'm
like out of ideas. ..also when trying to crank if after the 5 try
the battery is drain and needs to be recharged new and old one.....

Thanks to all who replied..
Old December 23rd 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bob Shuman

A car engine needs four basic things to start: vaporized gasoline/fuel,
oxygen/air, compression, and spark/ignition. Since you sprayed starter
fluid down the throttle body (I assume the throttle plate was wide open when
you tried that?) and did not hear it trying to start, it either is very
badly flooded (you usually would smell this condition) or one of the other
necessary ingredients is missing.

I'd make sure you are getting ignition by removing the spark plugs (one at a
time to not mix up the wires) and making sure they are not fouled. If they
are old, just replace them with new, properly gapped plugs. If they are
fairly new, you can clean them with a bit of sand paper or emery cloth.
Spark can also be checked while they are out by leaving an ignition wire
attached and grounding the threaded base of the electrode. Be careful doing
this and use proper insulation since you do not want to get jolted by
several thousand volts!

If you have spark and fuel, then make sure the engine is not flooded. Also
check the air filter to make sure it is not clogged. If it has not been
replaced lately, then replace that as well since it will not hurt. If all
this fails, then you need to make sure you actually have the engine and
valves turning in synch and that the timing chain did not jump a few teeth
or completely break/fall off (no compression).

Good luck.

Bob

PS As another poster indicated, 4 quarts is the full capacity of the crank
case, so if you really were down more than 1 quart for any period of time,
then you likely have done significant long-term damage to the engine.

Old December 23rd 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bob Shuman

PS In cold weather, if possible you should try to never let your fuel tank
get below 1/2 full since the more air you have in the empty tank, then the
more water is able to condense on the cold walls and then mix with the fuel
possibly leading to the problem you are experiencing.

Bob

Old December 23rd 08, 01:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article >, Snow > wrote:
>OK, So today I added a bottle of ISO HEET and some gas previously was
>at 1/4 tank now at 1/2 , replaced the battery, .........still
>nothing .... sprayed starter spray in the carb. still nothing I don't
>think the engine seizes because it would just click instead of faking
>like it wants to turn over..

Think about this for just two seconds, willya? If the engine is seized, the
only noise you're going to get out of it *is* a clicking noise from the
starter... and if you had to put 4 quarts of oil in it, like you said
yesterday, there wasn't *any* oil there to begin with.
Old December 23rd 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
IYM[_2_]

"Bob Shuman" > wrote in message
> Be careful doing this and use proper insulation since you do not want to
> get jolted by several thousand volts!

Ha - I know it's slightly off topic but this reminded me of when I was about
17 years old. I had a Ford Granada and after doing a tune up, I started it
and it was running rough. Why it was running, I looked at the engine and
saw I had left a wire off. I said "Oh - That's why!"....Don't know what the
hell I was thinking, but I grabbed the wire and attempted to put it back
on...... LOL.....

Old December 23rd 08, 02:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
IYM[_2_]

"Snow" > wrote in message
On Dec 21, 4:38 pm, navaidstech > wrote:
> On Dec 21, 5:24 pm, Snow > wrote:
>
> > Hi,

> > I have a Saturn 01 sl2 that will not start it will crank but will not
> > turn over I don't know if its because it 30 below today or what. Heres
> > the problem: Car would not start tried to Jump start the car. Car
> > would not take the jump. So decide to change the battery, still
> > noting, checked the oil which was VERY low put 4 quarts of oil in the
> > engine nothing. I think its the altnerator but I don't know. Also I
> > was leaking Coolent but it has now stoped and now Im leaking
> > transmission fuild. Can your car not start because of no transmission
> > fuild? Please Help!!!!!!!!

> > Thanks in advance!

> Oh man, sounds like you need a new car.
> Have you checked to make sure you got gas? Is the fuel pump working ?
> You should hear a soft whirrrrrrrrr sound coming from the rear of the
> vehicle just as you turn your key to battery position (one notch
> before crank). The sound will go for a second or so and then stop. If
> you don't hear it - it's your pump.
> Could be that your gas line froze as well (30 below, yikes!)
> If the car doesn't start when jumped, this tells me that it's not your
> alternator.
>
> Anyway, bottom line is to make sure gas making its way to the
> engine...

OK, So today I added a bottle of ISO HEET and some gas previously was
at 1/4 tank now at 1/2 , replaced the battery, .........still
nothing .... sprayed starter spray in the carb. still nothing I don't
think the engine seizes because it would just click instead of faking
like it wants to turn over..(actually had that happen before)...so I'm
like out of ideas. ..also when trying to crank if after the 5 try
the battery is drain and needs to be recharged new and old one.....

Thanks to all who replied..

Confused...So are you saying it's just clicking when you try to start it or
are you saying it's trying to start but crapping out after the 5th time?
What do you mean when you say "instead of faking like it wants to turn
over"? Is it actually turning over? Turning over slow like an almost dead
battery?

IYM