Battery Dead - Advice Appreciated

Old November 19th 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.gm

Default Battery Dead - Advice Appreciated

Hi,

My 1997 Saturn has a new battery installed 3 months ago.

I don't drive much, and it started perfectly normally the last time I
drove it a week ago. (It's been a cold week with average temperature
just below freezing - not too bad really).

This morning when I attempted to start it, it was completely dead. No
dashboard lights were on, and it's not making any noise - as if the
battery was completely dead or even disconnected.

I checked the battery connections, and they're good.

Question 1: Could a new battery drop dead like that so quickly? and do
you think I need another battery or is it salvageable?

Question 2: Do you think using a battery booster pack will help jump
start it? I'm trying to decide whether or not I should buy a booster
to help me with this and future battery troubles.

Thanks for any tips!
Old November 19th 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.gm
80Knight

> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My 1997 Saturn has a new battery installed 3 months ago.
>
> I don't drive much, and it started perfectly normally the last time I
> drove it a week ago. (It's been a cold week with average temperature
> just below freezing - not too bad really).
>
> This morning when I attempted to start it, it was completely dead. No
> dashboard lights were on, and it's not making any noise - as if the
> battery was completely dead or even disconnected.
>
> I checked the battery connections, and they're good.
>
> Question 1: Could a new battery drop dead like that so quickly? and do
> you think I need another battery or is it salvageable?

Any battery, no matter how old or new can stop working. You could also have
left on something like a small interior light, the glovebox light, trunk
light, etc. A week is plenty of time for the smallest bulb to drain the
battery.

> Question 2: Do you think using a battery booster pack will help jump
> start it? I'm trying to decide whether or not I should buy a booster
> to help me with this and future battery troubles.

If I were you, I would get a battery charger (one that plugs into a wall
outlet), and charge it up. If it won't take a charge, the battery is toast.
If it will, have it tested to make sure it is good. With only being 3
months old, it should still have a valid warranty.

Old November 19th 08, 07:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.gm
Mike Marlow[_1_]

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 09:47:24 -0800 (PST), wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My 1997 Saturn has a new battery installed 3 months ago.
>
> I don't drive much, and it started perfectly normally the last time I
> drove it a week ago. (It's been a cold week with average temperature
> just below freezing - not too bad really).
>
> This morning when I attempted to start it, it was completely dead. No
> dashboard lights were on, and it's not making any noise - as if the
> battery was completely dead or even disconnected.
>
> I checked the battery connections, and they're good.
>
> Question 1: Could a new battery drop dead like that so quickly? and do
> you think I need another battery or is it salvageable?
>
> Question 2: Do you think using a battery booster pack will help jump
> start it? I'm trying to decide whether or not I should buy a booster
> to help me with this and future battery troubles.
>
> Thanks for any tips!

Of course, it is always possible that a new battery is defective in some
way, but really - it's not that common. More than likely, you have a low
drain short that is sucking down your battery. To troubleshoot it, charge
up the battery and hook up an ampmeter and look for drain. Pull fuses to
isolate the circuit that is causing the drain, and troubleshoot from there.
If that overwhelms you, then just take it to a trusted mechanic.

--

-Mike-

Old November 19th 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.gm
Ned Forrester

80Knight wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> My 1997 Saturn has a new battery installed 3 months ago.
>>
>> I don't drive much, and it started perfectly normally the last time I
>> drove it a week ago. (It's been a cold week with average temperature
>> just below freezing - not too bad really).
>>
>> This morning when I attempted to start it, it was completely dead. No
>> dashboard lights were on, and it's not making any noise - as if the
>> battery was completely dead or even disconnected.
>>
>> I checked the battery connections, and they're good.
>>
>> Question 1: Could a new battery drop dead like that so quickly? and do
>> you think I need another battery or is it salvageable?

> Any battery, no matter how old or new can stop working. You could also have
> left on something like a small interior light, the glovebox light, trunk
> light, etc. A week is plenty of time for the smallest bulb to drain the
> battery.
>
>> Question 2: Do you think using a battery booster pack will help jump
>> start it? I'm trying to decide whether or not I should buy a booster
>> to help me with this and future battery troubles.

> If I were you, I would get a battery charger (one that plugs into a wall
> outlet), and charge it up. If it won't take a charge, the battery is toast.
> If it will, have it tested to make sure it is good. With only being 3
> months old, it should still have a valid warranty.

Agreed, but one more point. A fully discharged battery (if that is what
happened) has mainly water for electrolyte, rather than the
sulfuric-acid content of a fully charged battery. Thus a discharged
battery can freeze. If possible, make sure the battery is not frozen
before you try to charge it. If it has removable caps, you can inspect
visually. You might wait until a time of day when the temperature has
been above freezing for a few hours, or move the car to a warmer spot
(garage?). If it has frozen, make sure the battery case is not cracked,
and thus leaking electrolyte.

--
NOTE: to reply, remove all punctuation from email name field

Ned Forrester 508-289-2226
Applied Ocean Physics and Engineering Dept.
Oceanographic Systems Lab
http://adcp.whoi.edu/
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Woods Hole, MA 02543, USA
Old November 19th 08, 07:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.gm
Bob Shuman[_2_]

Comments are embedded below for your consideration.

Bob

> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My 1997 Saturn has a new battery installed 3 months ago.
>
> I don't drive much, and it started perfectly normally the last time I
> drove it a week ago. (It's been a cold week with average temperature
> just below freezing - not too bad really).

A week is not particularly long and the battery should still be charged
assuming that:1) your charging/electrical system is working properly, 2)
the battery is indeed still good and the connections are clean and tight,
and 3) there was no accessory inadvertently left on to discharge the system.

> This morning when I attempted to start it, it was completely dead. No
> dashboard lights were on, and it's not making any noise - as if the
> battery was completely dead or even disconnected.
>
> I checked the battery connections, and they're good.

I'd re-check those battery connections and if they are indeed clean and
tight, then I'd use a voltmeter to check the battery state. Battery
terminals can "look" great, but be highly oxidized so stop working. The
battery can also have an internal defect that would cause the battery post
to become open and cause the symptoms you are seeing. Lastly, the ground
conenction from the negative terminal can be corroded at the engine block
and/or the vehicle chassis. All need to be clean and tight and this is
where the voltmeter will be helpful. The fact that you have no
voltage/current now should make this a breeze to troubleshoot. If
everything looks OK, then re-charge the battery and see if one of the
interior lights, etc. somehow got left on and ran the battery down
completely. If it charges up and nothing was left on, then check the
alternator since it may have dies and you may have run the battery down
before parking it a week ago. Do not attempt to start the car till you get
the battery back up to near as full of a charge as possible.

> Question 1: Could a new battery drop dead like that so quickly? and do
> you think I need another battery or is it salvageable?

See comments above.

> Question 2: Do you think using a battery booster pack will help jump
> start it? I'm trying to decide whether or not I should buy a booster
> to help me with this and future battery troubles.

Yes, you should be able to jump the vehicle, but need to figure out the
problem first. Good luck.

Old November 19th 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.gm
Vic Smith

wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My 1997 Saturn has a new battery installed 3 months ago.
>
>I don't drive much, and it started perfectly normally the last time I
>drove it a week ago. (It's been a cold week with average temperature
>just below freezing - not too bad really).
>
>This morning when I attempted to start it, it was completely dead. No
>dashboard lights were on, and it's not making any noise - as if the
>battery was completely dead or even disconnected.
>
>I checked the battery connections, and they're good.
>
>Question 1: Could a new battery drop dead like that so quickly? and do
>you think I need another battery or is it salvageable?
>
>Question 2: Do you think using a battery booster pack will help jump
>start it? I'm trying to decide whether or not I should buy a booster
>to help me with this and future battery troubles.
>
>Thanks for any tips!

There is some constant draw on the battery of a modern car.
Won't get technical, but since I recently had this problem I found
many instances of batteries going dead in less than a week.
Best to start it every few days of so, and let it charge.
You can experiment with what works best.
The alternative is to buy a trickle charger and attach it when you
know the car will be idle for a while.
You are taking a chance of harming your dead battery by charging it
with the engine, as the alternator puts out high amps.
Best to slow charge at 2 amps with the charger. Check the water lever
afterward and add if needed.
Outside of having the battery tested at a shop with the right tools,
if it starts fine every few days it's probably ok.
Starting can actually draw plenty of current from it, so let it run at
least until the engine is warm if you're starting just to keep it
charged.
Works for me.
A week is about the limit I'll go without starting mine, but in cold
weather maybe 3 days. But I have a small cheapo battery.

--Vic
Old November 19th 08, 11:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.gm
Bob Shuman[_2_]

Vic,

I do not agree with your response. Saying that a week of non-use is enough
time for a fully charged automotive battery to discharge to the point the OP
describes is ludicrous. Do the math and figure out what parasitic current
drain (the computer, vehicle alarm, radio clock, etc.) you would need to
discharge a 100 amp-hour rated lead acid battery in 168 hours. (The 100 A-H
is a very conservative number for a small auto battery.)

This vehicle has a definite problem. Either someone left something on (a
glove box or trunk light for example) and it drained the battery, or the
alternator is no longer working properly, or the battery connections aren't
clean and tight, or the 3-month old battery is defective.

We regularly don't drive two of our family vehicles very often ... typically
they can sit for a month or so at a time and we've never had any problem
starting them up. When I put one away for the winter in storage, I use a
trickle charger to keep the battery topped off and that battery is now going
on its eight year of use. (The key to battery longevity is a little luck
and also keeping the battery fully charged so that it does not develop lead
sulfation "disease".)

Bob

news

Old November 19th 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.gm
Vic Smith

Well, I said I wouldn't get technical, and went for the easy solution.
But you might be surprised if you google this issue, as I was.
Maybe you can post here some of the values of parasitic draws and do
the math. Also troubleshooting methods (meters, pulling fuses, etc.)
I kind of suspect a short somewhere in my car, and generally agree
with what you've said. First time this has ever happened to me, and I
recall starting some previous cars just fine after they sat idle for
weeks.
But for now I'm fine just making sure I start it once a week.
If that changes or I track down a draw on the battery, I'll post that.

--Vic

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:11:46 -0600, "Bob Shuman"

Old November 20th 08, 05:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.gm
Bob Shuman[_2_]

Using simple math, to draw down a fully charged 100A-H capacity battery in
168 hours (1 week) to the point where "the dash lights no longer illuminate"
, you'd need to draw approximately 0.6A over that entire period of time.
(The current drain wouldn't actually be constant over this period of time
since the voltage would slowly drop from 13.2V, but gives a pretty good
estimate for this purpose.) 0.6A (=600mA) at 12V is slightly more than 7W.

I have not done the research, but would estimate the typical parasitic
current at somewhere between 20 and 30mA (meaning a fully charged battery in
good condition should last 10-20 weeks and still have "some" residual
charge).

As I've stated previously, there is definitely a problem here if the car
won't start after one week. I'd personally think this is either caused by
something that was left on, corroded electrical connections, a defective
battery/distribution cable, a bad battery, or a bad alternator.

Bob

Old November 20th 08, 06:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.gm
Roger[_10_]

Hi Russell

A 3 month old battery is still a newborn.... I have a '95 Saturn SL1,
the original AC Delco battery lasted just more than 5 years and in late
2000 I replaced it with an Energizer 700CCA battery... I test it and
it's still fine after 8 years.

The question is how long was the battery on the shelf before you bought
it? ...more a rhetorical question. Usually a battery should go through a
recharge or test when you buy it. If you drive your car more often and
have a few trips of more than 1 hour, the alternator will help to
recharge it. If you do not drive often, and your trips are very short,
your battery has not a good opportunity to recharge. It's likely this
battery was lower on charge being on the shelf for a while. Is there a
manufactured date on it?

When you checked the battery connections, did you remove them from the
battery and clean both the cable connectors and battery terminals with a
steel brush? Course Steel wool also helps to scrape off oxidation. Then
make sure the cable go back on tightly. + then -/ground

Yes it's a good idea to buy a automatic battery charger (auto shutoff).
Get one with both a trickle charge and higher current (faster)
charge.... these usually include a tester in the unit too.

Cheers, Roger