Air filters

Old July 20th 08, 02:02 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
HGL

Default Air filters

ARE THERE ANY AFTER MARKET AIR FILTERS THAT MIGHT BOOST PERFORMANCE OR
MILEAGE?

Old July 20th 08, 04:13 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

Sure. Why are you YELLING

Old July 21st 08, 04:07 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd

On Jul 19, 8:13*pm, "Jeff Strickland" > wrote:
> Sure. Why are you YELLING
>

> "HGL" > wrote in ...
> > ARE THERE ANY AFTER MARKET AIR FILTER S THAT MIGHT BOOST PERFORMANCE OR
> > MILEAGE?- Hide quoted text -

Personally, the "aftermarket" air filter I like for my 90 E34 535i
5spd, 118K miles is the made by Mahle, Mann or Hengst. Basically, OEM
quality is just as good as an "OE" air filter. Good Luck!
Old July 21st 08, 07:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
admin[_5_]

HGL wrote:
> ARE THERE ANY AFTER MARKET AIR FILTERS THAT MIGHT BOOST PERFORMANCE OR
> MILEAGE?

no there are not. why are you YELLING AT US?
Old July 22nd 08, 12:16 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
HGL

I'm not "yelling". My caps lock was on while I was typing and I was too lazy
to do it over. OK? Is that OK with you? Don't take this newsgroup thing so
seriously and don't be so snotty. Get a life.

On 7/21/08 2:12 PM, in article , "admin"

Old July 22nd 08, 12:23 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
HGL

Get a life and don't take this newsgroup thingy so seriously. BTW, when you
ask a question, proper English requires that a question mark be placed at
the end of the sentence. OK?

Old July 22nd 08, 12:56 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

In article >, HGL > wrote:
>I'm not "yelling". My caps lock was on while I was typing and I was too lazy
>to do it over. OK? Is that OK with you? Don't take this newsgroup thing so
>seriously and don't be so snotty. Get a life.

The answer is basically (and it is much nicer when you aren't yelling) that
higher flow filters won't improve your mileage at all. They _can_ improve
your performance with the throttle wide open IF the airflow is the limiting
factor (which it is not on a stock vehicle). If you have done other things
to increase engine horsepower (and that includes a high flow exhaust system
and modified firmware at the very least), it's possible to get into a
situation where airflow limits you at maximum throttle and a high flow air
filter system can help a bit.

A lot of the high flow systems get their flow rate at the expense of
reduced filter efficiency. That's fine for a racing car, but it's really
bad news if you ever drive on dirt roads.

In the old days of carbs and manual chokes, airflow was a big deal because
changes in airflow would translate into changes in fuel mixture. These
days with modern fuel injection systems it becomes a big issue only at
high RPMs because the fuel injection system keeps the mixture correct. If
the filter clogs up a little, you have to press the pedal down a bit more
to get the same power, but the mixture is precisely the same as if your
filter was not restricting anything, because it's a closed-loop system now.
--scott
Old July 22nd 08, 06:14 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

"HGL" > wrote in message ...
> Get a life and don't take this newsgroup thingy so seriously. BTW, when
> you
> ask a question, proper English requires that a question mark be placed at
> the end of the sentence. OK?

I have a life. And I don't take hardly anything very seriously.

You asked an open-ended question for which the only possible answer is, yes.
And, you did it in all caps.

All I did was miss the punctuation at the end of a sentence. Get a life, and
don't take this newsgroup thing so seriously.

Old July 22nd 08, 06:16 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

"HGL" > wrote in message ...
> I'm not "yelling". My caps lock was on while I was typing and I was too
> lazy
> to do it over.

THAT'S WHAT YELLING IS!

Old July 22nd 08, 07:09 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
admin[_5_]

HGL wrote:
> Get a life and don't take this newsgroup thingy so seriously. BTW, when you
> ask a question, proper English requires that a question mark be placed at
> the end of the sentence. OK?
>

> On 7/19/08 11:13 PM, in article ,
> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote:
>
>> Sure. Why are you YELLING

Obviously reading comprehension isn't big with you either..

The original posting, which was frome me, not Jeff said:

"no there are not. why are you YELLING AT US?" <--- notice question mark?

And just to return your compliment - I don't think you could get a life
if it was handed to you.

Best air filters? J J Technology 21 June 1st 07 07:42 PM
So what's wrong with the Airhog filters? was: Airhog filters almost free after Fram's rebate Don Byrer Technology 88 December 8th 06 05:59 AM
air filters audidrive Audi 2 October 10th 06 01:36 PM
Which oil filters are best? J J Technology 56 October 4th 06 06:09 AM
Are cotton air-filters the only type of filters with good air-flow? socraticquest Technology 8 July 6th 05 09:50 PM