Should this trooper be fired?

Old March 23rd 05, 08:10 PM
L Sternn

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:35:28 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:

>"Dave Head" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:07:48 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:
>>
>>>Of course he shouldn't be fired. He's an 18 year veteran with no prior
>>>disciplinary action. I wouldn't wish a firing on anyone in any profession
>>>with that record, just based on a comment.

>> On one hand, you're consistent! <G>

>I asked myself why that is and came up with a pretty good answer. There are
>a lot of stories that come through these groups where cops have screwed up.
>You can read the story and say "yeah, that guy f#$cked up".

He INTENTIONALLY ****ed up.

We don't need people like him (or you) carrying guns and being in
positions of authority.

> Then there are
>stories like this one where someone got their feelings hurt.

People could have died, and quite possibly did because of his actions.

> Well, boo
>freakin hoo.

I'm sure people will be crying at the victims funeral.

> Suck it up like a man and move on with your life; you'll be
>ok. Then of course, there are the ones in the middle where we don't quite
>have all of the information so we go back and forth for weeks with people
>making up crap and assumptions the whole way. A good personal example is of
>a complaint that came in the other day. Some guy wrote a letter complaining
>to internal affairs that he received two citations and the cop was rude to
>him. IA wrote their official report and sent it to the supervisor to
>investigate. The supervisor calls the violator and asks him how the cop was
>rude. The answer he got was "well, he wrote me two tickets". "Uh..... ok,
>that's something you'll have to see a judge about. Tell me how the cop was
>rude". "Well if he hadn't written me two tickets I never would've
>complained". "Ok, sir, you have a nice day". Case closed, unfounded.
>That's why stories like this bug the hell out of me.

That's completely irrelevant to this case.

>> On the other hand, I agree - the bunch around here is very, very quick to
>> have
>> people fired or say that a person shouldn't be driving. Leave it up to
>> this
>> bunch, and _nobody_ would be qualified to drive due to some innocuous
>> minutia
>> about their driving that they simply don't like.

>Apparently they can all be better cops than the ones currently employed too.

I have no doubt I could and would be.
Old March 23rd 05, 08:12 PM
L Sternn

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 06:39:33 -0800, Scott en Aztlán
> wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:07:48 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:
>
>>Of course he shouldn't be fired. He's an 18 year veteran with no prior
>>disciplinary action. I wouldn't wish a firing on anyone in any profession
>>with that record, just based on a comment.

>While I am on record as agreeing with your position, it seems likely
>that he has been doing things like this for some time; this is merely
>the first time he got caught/somebody complained loudly enough. The
>article itself mentions that he was rude to some other callers, as
>well.
>
>This kind of negative attitude doesn't suddenly appear one day after
>an 18-year exemplary record; it has been YEARS in the making. Nor will
>it magically disappear after 15 days. I predict this officer will have
>future run-ins of a similar nature. And, of course, once he racks up
>enough of them

Or once somebody dies on the side of the road waiting for an ambulance
that will never come.

Old March 23rd 05, 08:13 PM
L Sternn

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:26:57 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:

>"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:07:48 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:
>>
>>>Of course he shouldn't be fired. He's an 18 year veteran with no prior
>>>disciplinary action. I wouldn't wish a firing on anyone in any profession
>>>with that record, just based on a comment.

>> While I am on record as agreeing with your position, it seems likely
>> that he has been doing things like this for some time; this is merely
>> the first time he got caught/somebody complained loudly enough. The
>> article itself mentions that he was rude to some other callers, as
>> well.
>>
>> This kind of negative attitude doesn't suddenly appear one day after
>> an 18-year exemplary record; it has been YEARS in the making. Nor will
>> it magically disappear after 15 days. I predict this officer will have
>> future run-ins of a similar nature. And, of course, once he racks up
>> enough of them he will eventually be fired for cause (or forced to
>> retire or something).

>It's possible, but we don't really know that. I'm sure that most of us here
>are generally nice and respectful to others but we have our bad days. I've
>made comments before that I probably shouldn't have, as most of us have
>done,

The difference is most people are held accountable for things that
they say and do.

This cop could have been responsible for people dying, and you want to
give him a pass.

Old March 23rd 05, 08:15 PM
L Sternn

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:04:16 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
> wrote:

>The father of the motorcycle victim was on the Early Show this morning. He
>had enough to deal with behind losing his son, which is a pain I hope no one
>here ever experiences, and then he has this jerk of a cop blowing off the
>friend who called it in like it was a crank call.
>
>"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:07:48 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:
>>
>>>Of course he shouldn't be fired. He's an 18 year veteran with no prior
>>>disciplinary action. I wouldn't wish a firing on anyone in any profession
>>>with that record, just based on a comment.

>> While I am on record as agreeing with your position, it seems likely
>> that he has been doing things like this for some time; this is merely
>> the first time he got caught/somebody complained loudly enough. The
>> article itself mentions that he was rude to some other callers, as
>> well.

>Apparently, folks reading this thread missed this part of the article:
>
>"Peasley, who was working the dispatch desk in the Troop E
>barracks in Montville, was punished after an internal affairs
>investigation for several offenses, including conduct
>unbecoming a police officer, inefficient action and lack
>of decorum, police said."
>
>> This kind of negative attitude doesn't suddenly appear one day after
>> an 18-year exemplary record; it has been YEARS in the making. Nor will
>> it magically disappear after 15 days.

>Zacly, Scott. He's been getting away with this for years and years, and
>only now did he get caught.
>
>I predict this officer will have
>> future run-ins of a similar nature. And, of course, once he racks up
>> enough of them he will eventually be fired for cause (or forced to
>> retire or something).

>The only times I have known police officers to be fired is when they are
>caught selling drugs on the job or having kiddie porn on their computer.
>But when an unarmed suspect is shot to death, the grand jury will not hand
>down an indictment. That being the case, does anybody truly believe that
>being rude to a 911 caller is grounds for dismissal to an 18-year veteran?

Not only was he rude, which is unacceptable, but he HUNG UP on them.

IOW, he INTENTIONALLY put OTHER people's lives at risk because he "was
having a bad day" (to use jaybird's excuse).

It most certainly is grounds for firing.

>I think a proper way to handle this is give him a 5 day rip and reassign him
>to a job where he doesn't come into contact with the general public.

And I say fire his ass on the spot and let him beg for a job
elsewhere.

Old March 23rd 05, 08:15 PM
Cory Dunkle

"Motorhead Lawyer" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Cory Dunkle wrote:
> > Without a doubt he should be fired, and blacklisted from all police
> > agencies. His behavior was totally inappropriate.

> And *you've* *never* done anything inappropriate, huh? Never will,
> either. Just remember that the first time you *do*, there'll be some
> idiot calling for you to be tossed out of your *profession* for *the
> rest of your life*. But that's perfectly fair, isn't it, Cory? One
> screwup and you're *out*!

Yep, a screwup like that involving life and death sure. Kick me out of my IT
consulting and support profession for life. If my VPN kills someone I'm out,
and I'll gladly quit if I'm not wanted on the job anymore.
When I worked in retail it never mattered to me how bad my day was, I was
always courteous, polite, and friendy to customers. Yeah, even cops. The
cops that came in the store for radio equipment and such were never
disrespectful to me, so I had no reason to treat them any different than any
other customer.

The point is a police officer taking calls is a very important position. If
this officer didn't wnat to treat the general public with respect he should
not be doing anything that brings him into contact with the general public,
especially taking emergency calls. Gee, ya think Joe Schoe who's wife is
about to die after being t-boned by a Mac truck is gonna be calm? You think
he's not gonna want to know if anything the police can tell him, like when
someone is going to arrive or if the police can find the truck if it was a
hit and run? If a person does not _want_ to _help_ people by being courteous
and friendly to them in their time of need, then find anotehr profession,
because you sure as hell aren't being professional about your job if you
aren't being respectful.

> > Cops so often forget that they are _PUBLIC SERVICE_ officers. They

> serve the
> > public, and the public pays them for that service. They serve every

> single
> > person out on the streets and sidewalks. Even if they suspect that

> person of
> > something the cop still needs to treat that person with the utmost

> respect
> > and courtesy.

> And in return get to be called "ass hole" and "pig", right, Cory?

I don't see why anyone would call a polite, friendly, and courteous cop an
"ass hole" or a "pig". I sure as heck wouldn't... That's just downright rude
and disrespectful.

> > Anyhow, the world would be a better place without all the ass holes

> like
> > this pig working on the force.

> It'd be a helluva lot more pleasant without conclusion-jumping
> judgmental young morons, too. But I'm not mentioning any *names* ...
> Cory.

Take a good look at yourself...

Old March 23rd 05, 08:20 PM
L Sternn

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:15:24 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
> wrote:

>"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:19:22 -0500, "Cory Dunkle" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Cops so often forget that they are _PUBLIC SERVICE_ officers. They serve
>>>the
>>>public, and the public pays them for that service. They serve every single
>>>person out on the streets and sidewalks. Even if they suspect that person
>>>of
>>>something the cop still needs to treat that person with the utmost respect
>>>and courtesy.
>>>
>>>Anyhow, the world would be a better place without all the ass holes like
>>>this pig working on the force.

>> Your hypocrisy is dripping off my screen and onto my keyboard.
>>
>> So let me ask you a question, Cory: why do you expect courtesy and
>> respect from the police when you refuse to extend thst same courtesy
>> and respect to them? Do you believe that paying the officer's salary
>> entitles you to treat them with disrespect and hatred?

>I don't believe that anybody deserves to be treated with disrespect or
>hatred just because they are a LEO.

I agree, but jaybird's defense of this piece of **** is really making
me wonder why.

<snip>

>People who want to be cops go in knowing they will see the dregs of human
>existence on a daily basis. They'll see worse than imaginable examples of
>man-s inhumanity to man all the time.

Such as the cop who answered the phone in this story.

Or the cops in Dallas who were planting billiard chalk on innocent
people and calling it drugs.

etc....

Old March 23rd 05, 08:22 PM
L Sternn

On 23 Mar 2005 09:10:58 -0800, "Motorhead Lawyer"
> wrote:

>Cory Dunkle wrote:
>> Without a doubt he should be fired, and blacklisted from all police
>> agencies. His behavior was totally inappropriate.

>And *you've* *never* done anything inappropriate, huh?

It's not just that this was "inappropriate". It's that this asshole
hung up on someone calling 911.

This is a no-brainer. The pig should be fired and strong statements
condemning his actions should be issued by the LEA involved.

People's lives are at stake.
Old March 23rd 05, 08:44 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"L Sternn" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:04:16 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
> > wrote:

>>I think a proper way to handle this is give him a 5 day rip and reassign
>>him
>>to a job where he doesn't come into contact with the general public.

> And I say fire his ass on the spot and let him beg for a job
> elsewhere.

If we fired every cop who was rude to a citizen who wasn't a suspect, we'd
have maybe 100 cops per large city.

Old March 23rd 05, 11:13 PM
Nate Nagel

Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:

> "L Sternn" > wrote in message
> news >
>>On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:04:16 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
> wrote:

>>>I think a proper way to handle this is give him a 5 day rip and reassign
>>>him
>>>to a job where he doesn't come into contact with the general public.

>>And I say fire his ass on the spot and let him beg for a job
>>elsewhere.

> If we fired every cop who was rude to a citizen who wasn't a suspect, we'd
> have maybe 100 cops per large city.

That's OK, there's still lots of polite, conscientious people who's like
to have jobs.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old March 23rd 05, 11:50 PM
Cartlon Shew

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:44:32 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
> wrote:

>"L Sternn" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:04:16 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
>> > wrote:

>>>I think a proper way to handle this is give him a 5 day rip and reassign
>>>him
>>>to a job where he doesn't come into contact with the general public.

>> And I say fire his ass on the spot and let him beg for a job
>> elsewhere.

>If we fired every cop who was rude to a citizen who wasn't a suspect, we'd
>have maybe 100 cops per large city.

His rudeness is only a secondary problem.

Why is nearly everyone neglecting the fact that he HUNG UP on people
calling 911?

He's VERY lucky that the PD is willing to cover for him and say the
guy would have died anyway.