90 accord door lock question

Old February 25th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 90 accord door lock question

I have an EX with power locks. Is it normal for the driver's side
door lock tab to be impossible to push down, either manually or with
the power locks, but only when the door is open?

If the door is closed, it will lock without a problem, whether with
the power locks, pushing down on it, or turning the key.

Seems odd and I'm wondering if it's foreshadowing a problem.

Old February 25th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have an EX with power locks. Is it normal for the driver's side
> door lock tab to be impossible to push down, either manually or with
> the power locks, but only when the door is open?
>
> If the door is closed, it will lock without a problem, whether with
> the power locks, pushing down on it, or turning the key.
>
> Seems odd and I'm wondering if it's foreshadowing a problem.

Was normal on my '89 LX-i. It's so you can't lock the keys in the car. (or
least make it harder to do).

Old February 25th 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Randolph

Seth wrote:

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >I have an EX with power locks. Is it normal for the driver's side
> > door lock tab to be impossible to push down, either manually or with
> > the power locks, but only when the door is open?
> >
> > If the door is closed, it will lock without a problem, whether with
> > the power locks, pushing down on it, or turning the key.
> >
> > Seems odd and I'm wondering if it's foreshadowing a problem.

> Was normal on my '89 LX-i. It's so you can't lock the keys in the car. (or
> least make it harder to do).

What he said. Also, you can defeat this interlock by pulling the inside
door handle out partly before trying to push down the lock knob. It is
all in the manual...

A very modest collection of Honda tech info can be found at:
http://www.geocities.com/ng_randolph
Old February 26th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Graham W

Randolph wrote:
> Seth wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>> I have an EX with power locks. Is it normal for the driver's side
>>> door lock tab to be impossible to push down, either manually or with
>>> the power locks, but only when the door is open?
>>>
>>> If the door is closed, it will lock without a problem, whether with
>>> the power locks, pushing down on it, or turning the key.
>>>
>>> Seems odd and I'm wondering if it's foreshadowing a problem.

>> Was normal on my '89 LX-i. It's so you can't lock the keys in the
>> car. (or least make it harder to do).

> What he said. Also, you can defeat this interlock by pulling the inside
> door handle out partly before trying to push down the lock knob. It is
> all in the manual...

And if you're going to use that method of locking up, always carry a spare
door key with you... Don't ask me how I learned this!

It's a very convenient way of locking up before you get out of the vehicle
loaded up with shopping bags etc..

Exact method is to pull the inside handle the open the door - keep it
pulled and push down the lock tab. Make sure you slam the door hard
enough to properly close else you'll have to use the key to let yourself
in again!

HTH
WIMBORNE http://www.wessex-astro.org.uk/ Wessex Astro Society's Website
Dorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps

Old February 26th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Feb 25, 11:23 pm, motsco_ > wrote:
> wrote:
> The Oracle of Honda had 'forseen' this peril when he spoke the words of
> the 'Owner's manual'
>
> Harken to his words or face his swift wrath.

If only the law required owners manuals to be permanently attached to
the car with 10 gauge steel chain...

Old February 27th 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

" > wrote in
ups.com:

> I have an EX with power locks. Is it normal for the driver's side
> door lock tab to be impossible to push down, either manually or with
> the power locks, but only when the door is open?

Yes.

Hold the interior door handle in the "open" position, then try to push the
button down. It should go down very easily now. This is intended to help
prevent you from locking yourself out.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old March 2nd 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Feb 26, 11:42 am, motsco_ > wrote:
> Have you read the inside cover of the owner's manual?

No.

> The Oracle spoke
> thus: "The Owner's manual should be considered a permanent part of the
> vehicle and should remain with the vehicle when it is sold"

This would be the reason why I haven't read the inside cover of the
owner's manual; it is because the previous owner, and perhaps owners
before him, did not.

You see, once at least one owner does not read the inside cover of the
owner's manual, it is implied that all later owners do not read the
inside cover of the owner's manual.

> Honest, it says that. We could cut traffic on this NG by 40% if people
> would actually read the manual first (or at all).

Well, you know, if your goal is a newsgroup with little to no traffic,
USENET has plenty to offer in that department...

[..]

Want to hear something funny?

The day after I last looked at this thread, I locked my keys in my
other car.

I couldn't help but admire Honda engineers just a little bit as I
stood there fuming, coat hanger in hand.