Got rid of the run flats.

Old July 17th 08, 04:58 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Got rid of the run flats.

Just for information:

I had run flats on my Z4. Picked up a screw in my left rear on my last trip
and the sensor went off with me still 60 miles from home. I pulled into a
gas station a filled the tire up and reset the sensor. Made it home with no
problems. Next morning there was zero pressure in the tire. I filled it up
again and drove the 4 miles to the tire dealer. That's the good news.
Everything worked as designed.

There is 15k on the tires and the rear ones showed a fair amount of wear. I
had the option of buying two new RF for the rear for $260 each or non-RFs
for $184. I probably had another 5k on the front tires (I managed to get
40k on my Mini-S run flats which amazed the dealer).

The dealer said they don't repair RF tires so if I have another flat with RF
I would have to buy another tire. Also I could not mix non-RF on the rear
while still having RF on the front because it would severely affect the
handling. He mentioned it is recommended that if a vehicle having full time
AWD has a flat with RF and there is less than 20% tread left on the tires,
they recommend replacing all 4 tires. That makes sense when you think about
it.

I replaced all 4 with non-RF tires that have a mileage guarantee of 45k
miles (no mileage guarantee on the RF). I figure I can get them repaired if
there is a slow leak (which has happened in the past with my truck). If I
get a flat on road I will have AAA tow me back to the station and have the
tire repaired. The dealer I bought the tires from will reimburse me for the
repair or do it for free if I do it at one of their stores. I decided not
to get the BMW mobility kit because I have read the compressor may have
difficulty in pressurizing the tire if it is flat and it is difficult to
repair a non-RF tire when "goop" is sprayed inside.

Old July 17th 08, 05:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom K.[_2_]

" > wrote in message
m...

> I replaced all 4 with non-RF tires that have a mileage guarantee of 45k
> miles (no mileage guarantee on the RF).

Most summer performance tires, RF or not, have no treadwear guaranty. The
big advantages to replacing the RFTs are cost and ride quality.

> I figure I can get them repaired if there is a slow leak (which has
> happened in the past with my truck). If I get a flat on road I will have
> AAA tow me back to the station and have the tire repaired. The dealer I
> bought the tires from will reimburse me for the repair or do it for free
> if I do it at one of their stores. I decided not to get the BMW mobility
> kit because I have read the compressor may have difficulty in pressurizing
> the tire if it is flat and it is difficult to repair a non-RF tire when
> "goop" is sprayed inside.

You might try either the Airman Sparrow or Slime Powersport compressors + a
plug kit as a cheap alternative to waiting the 2 hours for AAA. They take
very little trunk space and as a side benefit, I haven't had any flats since
getting them - I carry one in my car and motorcycle.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...1pzxa6toq s_e

Tom K.

Old July 17th 08, 08:26 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Tom K." > wrote in message

> " > wrote in message
> m...
>

>> I replaced all 4 with non-RF tires that have a mileage guarantee of 45k
>> miles (no mileage guarantee on the RF).

> Most summer performance tires, RF or not, have no treadwear guaranty. The
> big advantages to replacing the RFTs are cost and ride quality.

I replaced them with Bridgestone Potenza RE 960ES and they have a 40,000
mile warranty.

>> I figure I can get them repaired if there is a slow leak (which has
>> happened in the past with my truck). If I get a flat on road I will have
>> AAA tow me back to the station and have the tire repaired. The dealer I
>> bought the tires from will reimburse me for the repair or do it for free
>> if I do it at one of their stores. I decided not to get the BMW mobility
>> kit because I have read the compressor may have difficulty in
>> pressurizing the tire if it is flat and it is difficult to repair a
>> non-RF tire when "goop" is sprayed inside.
>>

> You might try either the Airman Sparrow or Slime Powersport compressors +
> a plug kit as a cheap alternative to waiting the 2 hours for AAA. They
> take very little trunk space and as a side benefit, I haven't had any
> flats since getting them - I carry one in my car and motorcycle.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...1pzxa6toq s_e
>
> Tom K.

I think I will wait for AAA.

Old July 18th 08, 01:02 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_10_]

" wrote
>> Most summer performance tires, RF or not, have no treadwear guaranty.
>> The big advantages to replacing the RFTs are cost and ride quality.

> I replaced them with Bridgestone Potenza RE 960ES and they have a
> 40,000 mile warranty.

That's because RE960 is not a summer tire. It's classified as an
all-season tire.

How do you like them so far? I am considering getting them for my 530i
since I moved to Chicago recently and will have to get rid of my summer
Dunlop SP Maxx before winter arrives.

Pete

Old July 18th 08, 02:46 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Pete" > wrote in message

> " wrote
>>> Most summer performance tires, RF or not, have no treadwear guaranty.
>>> The big advantages to replacing the RFTs are cost and ride quality.

>> I replaced them with Bridgestone Potenza RE 960ES and they have a 40,000
>> mile warranty.

> That's because RE960 is not a summer tire. It's classified as an
> all-season tire.
>
> How do you like them so far? I am considering getting them for my 530i
> since I moved to Chicago recently and will have to get rid of my summer
> Dunlop SP Maxx before winter arrives.
>
> Pete

I have only driven the car a few miles but I will say the difference so far
between the RE960 and RF is enormous. It was like driving a different car.
Quiet and it seems much less harsh.

BTW, I had someone tell me that it is acceptable to run RF on the front
while running the RE960s on the rear. That doesn't make sense to me.

Old July 18th 08, 06:55 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
joe_tide[_2_]

"Pete" > wrote in message

> " wrote
>>> Most summer performance tires, RF or not, have no treadwear guaranty.
>>> The big advantages to replacing the RFTs are cost and ride quality.

>> I replaced them with Bridgestone Potenza RE 960ES and they have a 40,000
>> mile warranty.

> That's because RE960 is not a summer tire. It's classified as an
> all-season tire.
>
> How do you like them so far? I am considering getting them for my 530i
> since I moved to Chicago recently and will have to get rid of my summer
> Dunlop SP Maxx before winter arrives.
>
> Pete

Pete,

You may want to consider keeping the summer tires and getting dedicated
winer tires and wheels for, well, winter.

When I swithed out the all seasons for winter tires in my E46 it made a
world of difference. About the only thing that stopped me was when I started
plowing snow.

Old July 19th 08, 05:36 AM
KaiyureGirl KaiyureGirl is offline
Banned

Exclamation I am appreciated for this pretty article. thanks.

would you mind PM your MSN to me? thanks.
I want to sell my car beacause of serious diabetes, if you want to buy my beauty Corolla car , pls contact me by .
Old July 21st 08, 04:16 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_10_]

"joe_tide" wrote
> Pete,
>
> You may want to consider keeping the summer tires and getting
> dedicated winer tires and wheels for, well, winter.
>
> When I swithed out the all seasons for winter tires in my E46 it made
> a world of difference. About the only thing that stopped me was when I
> started plowing snow.

I realize all-seasons aren't as good as dedicated summer/winter sets,
but I have no place to store a second set of rims/tires at the moment.
The summer tires that I have are on their last legs and they howl
painfully, so they need to be replaced anyway. I live 2 miles away from
work, so if the weather is really bad during winter, I will just take
the bus to work - I do that half the time anyway.

Cheers,
Pete

Old July 21st 08, 01:07 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
joe_tide[_2_]

"Pete" > wrote in message

> "joe_tide" wrote
>> Pete,
>>
>> You may want to consider keeping the summer tires and getting dedicated
>> winer tires and wheels for, well, winter.
>>
>> When I swithed out the all seasons for winter tires in my E46 it made a
>> world of difference. About the only thing that stopped me was when I
>> started plowing snow.

> I realize all-seasons aren't as good as dedicated summer/winter sets, but
> I have no place to store a second set of rims/tires at the moment. The
> summer tires that I have are on their last legs and they howl painfully,
> so they need to be replaced anyway. I live 2 miles away from work, so if
> the weather is really bad during winter, I will just take the bus to
> work - I do that half the time anyway.
>
> Cheers,
> Pete

Understood.

All 07 3 series come with run flats? kpb BMW 11 October 11th 07 07:33 PM
car of Yucca Flats LLBrown VW air cooled 4 July 20th 07 03:58 AM
Run-Flats TJB BMW 3 May 13th 06 03:03 PM
Continental Run-flats Tom K. BMW 3 January 16th 06 04:51 PM
Two flats in one day Oppie Saturn 0 March 27th 05 01:33 AM