Let's be honest

Old September 17th 04, 10:34 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Default Let's be honest

I don't know what is, exactly, but somehow I often can tell the Brits from
the North Americans by the way they write their posts...

:-)))
DAS
---

[.........]

Old September 18th 04, 07:09 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
DRP535 > wrote:
> Providing owners take reasonable care of the car such as not damaging
> the paintwork for a start, E28s are no worse than any other quality car
> of the period - and a good better than the vast majority. To intimate
> they have an inherent rust problem due to poor design/manufacture is
> just plain wrong.

They have several rust traps. Bonnet. Boot. Doors. Front wings. Euro spec
bumpers.
I'm not saying they're worse than all other cars, but some are certainly
better. And they're getting a rare sight on UK roads.

> 50% of E28s are now > 20 years old based on their manufacture starting in
> 1981 and ending in 1987. No E34s are yet 20 years old. Everything made of
> steel will rust eventually regardless. Are you sure you aren't being a
> little bit unfair on E28s?

I've not been round the scrap yards much recently, but my brother reckons
the E34 - which can be just about the same age as the last E28s - is very
much better.

> I don't recall any customer complaints/warranty claims/product recalls
> on the basis of rust/sealing/leaking problems for E28s. If the cars had
> a real problem in this area then that would not be the case.

Err, how long does any anti-perforation warranty last? 10 years max?

> As for cars in scrap yards, yes of course they're rusty. All cars in
> scrap yards are rusty. They've been crashed and then left outside in the
> weather for weeks on end while bits and pieces get removed. It would be
> a miracle if they weren't rusting.

He meant, of course, cars rusting through from the inside - not surface
rust caused by damage. He was looking for parts to replace the rusty ones
on his - and found they were all the same. And these weren't crashed cars,
either. Indeed many had no obvious signs of why they'd been scrapped.

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old September 18th 04, 11:43 PM
Mr Fix It

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message

> And they're getting a rare sight on UK roads.

Yep ... I've got a 525e, had a 535i last year as well.
My mate two houses up has a 525e and his dad has a
525e as well.

Between us we have bought up all the remaining running stock!!!

--
Regards....
Steve