2002 525i, wheel is very hard to take off...why?

Old July 1st 07, 08:14 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default 2002 525i, wheel is very hard to take off...why?

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 15:00:01 -0400, JRE > wrote:

wrote:
><snip>
>> Thank you all! You were correct in that the problem was corrosion. I
>> didn't have wd40, but I sprayed water and mild soap (i had a bottle
>> from when I was using body clay to clean the car). I let that sit a
>> little while and then the wheel came off! Sure enough, there were
>> some foam peanuts from a box and a piece of card-board stuck by the
>> rotor. This was the source of the noise!!! I took that out and put
>> the wheel back. I have to get some grease to put on all the wheels
>> but I finally got rid of the noise. I'm glad it's gone and I didn't
>> have to go to the dealer!! That makes me happy

><snip>
>
>No! Don't use grease! Anti-seize compound is the order of the day...
>
>JRE

Commonly called "Copperslip" or Copper grease" however remove all the rust and
corrosion you can see and remember that the the angle between the hub and the
disc/drum surface is a sharp 90 degree althought it will seem to be a radius
that is pure crud so remove it with a file or something similar

Seve
Old July 3rd 07, 09:07 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
admin[_1_]

daytripper wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 16:49:08 -0400, Fred W > wrote:
>
>> daytripper wrote:
>>
>>> The wheel is corroded to the rotor.
>>>
>>> Put the lugs back on, run them down almost all the way but leave them a bit
>>> loose, lower and remove the jack, then start the car and roll forward &
>>> backward a few meters to get the wheel loose. If it's still being belligerent,
>>> roll a bit faster and stomp the brakes. Eventually you'll get it loose without
>>> damaging anything...
>>>

>> Not likely. The rotor is a flat surface as the part of the wheel that
>> contacts the rotor is. The hub goes through the rotor and into the
>> hubcenter bore of the wheel. That is the usual location for the hang-up.

> I've loosened many corroded hub-centric wheels using the above procedure...
>
> /daytripper
> '00 s4 6spd

As have I...
Old July 3rd 07, 09:08 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
admin[_1_]

JRE wrote:

> No! Don't use grease! Anti-seize compound is the order of the day...
>
> JRE

High temp grease - such as Wurth 3000 - a thin coating - works just
fine... BTDT for about 20 years of BMWs now.