Latest Saturn horror story

Old November 5th 04, 03:18 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"Roy" <crawroy @ nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message

> "common sense says that when any car is put in NEUTRAL the wheels are

> dis-engaged from the transmission."

> No. Common sense says that when the car is in neutral the wheels are

> disengaged from the engine not the transmission.

No. Common sense says that when the car is in neutral the transmission is
disengaged from the engine. The wheels do not connect to the engine.

In any case, the relevant question here is what is the year and model the
Saturn with the destroyed transmission. If it was an S series, then the
owner did nothing wrong, and the question then becomes why is he entitled to
a new transmission out of warranty? Not sure if California has an implied
warranty law or not.

Best thing to do is to read
http://4wheeldrive.about.com/cs/towi...a070601a_2.htm

And

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dyna...2000suvp .cfm

Old November 6th 04, 07:34 PM
BANDIT2941

>> No. Common sense says that when the car is in neutral the wheels are
>
>> disengaged from the engine not the transmission.

>No. Common sense says that when the car is in neutral the transmission is
>disengaged from the engine. The wheels do not connect to the engine.

Ummm.....you're basically saying the same thing.....but if you're going to
nitpick....your's is wrong Scharf......the transmission can never be disengaged
from the engine, just like the transmission can never be disengaged from the
wheels. The transmission can only disengage the wheels from the engine. Unless
its a stickshift in which case the clutch disengages the transmission from the
engine.
Old November 6th 04, 07:54 PM
Roy

"Steven M. Scharf" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> "Roy" <crawroy @ nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
>
>> "common sense says that when any car is put in NEUTRAL the wheels are

>> dis-engaged from the transmission."

>> No. Common sense says that when the car is in neutral the wheels are

>> disengaged from the engine not the transmission.

> No. Common sense says that when the car is in neutral the transmission is
> disengaged from the engine. The wheels do not connect to the engine.

The wheels do connect to the engine through the drive shaft(s) and the
transmission. The transmission is the tool that is used to break the
connection between the engine and wheels when it is in neutral, or in the
case of a manual transmission, when the clutch pedal is presssed. You could
also disconnect the drive shaft(s) which would disengage the wheels from the
transmission but that requires a lot more work than shifting into neutral.
I don't see why if spending $50,000 to $100,000 on an RV they don't just
shell out a few hundred more for a dolly trailer for the car anyway. The one
I used to used was as easy to load as driving forward a few feet, strapping
the tires down and hooking the safety chain.

Old November 6th 04, 09:53 PM
BANDIT2941

>I don't see why if spending $50,000 to $100,000 on an RV they don't just
>shell out a few hundred more for a dolly trailer for the car anyway. The one
>I used to used was as easy to load as driving forward a few feet, strapping
>the tires down and hooking the safety chain.

$50,000 to $100,000!!!!! You're not going to get much of an RV for that kind
of money!!
Old November 7th 04, 03:19 AM
Kevin M. Keller

"Roy" <crawroy @ nbnet.nb.ca> typed until their fingers bled, and
came up with:

> shifting into neutral. I don't see why if spending $50,000 to $100,000
> on an RV they don't just shell out a few hundred more for a dolly
> trailer for the car anyway.

because they are a royal PITA. I managed to almost rip my front bumper off
while using a tow dolly.
--
Visit the Saturn Performance Club - http://www.saturnperformanceclub.com
Old November 7th 04, 03:20 AM
Kirk Kohnen

Common Sense says that you really ought to take the time to read the
instruction manual for that several thousand dollar investment!

om...

Old November 9th 04, 04:07 AM
misterfact

Philip Nasadowski > wrote in message >...
> In article >,
> (misterfact) wrote:
>
> > The horror story happens because the facts are hidden IN FINE PRINT
> > somewhere in the middle of the owners manual

> RTFM. Duh. It's not Saturn's fault for you not reasing your manual.
>
> > Besides- common sense
> > says that when any car is put in NEUTRAL the wheels are dis-engaged
> > from the transmission.

> No, that's not how car transmissions work.
>
> > So why should the trans be affected at all?

> Because it's still being spun by the wheels. And it's not recieving
> full lubrication because the front pump isn't running. Unless the front
> pump in an automatic is running, the transission is not being properly
> lubricated. In a manual, unless the engine's running and spinning the
> gears, there's no splash lubrication to the needle bearings on the
> various shafts. Shafts which spin regardless of if the transmission's
> in gear or not.
>
> > We all see cars being towed with 4 wheels on the pavement and conditioned
> > to believe it can't hart any car!

> I see soccer moms weaving through traffic in their SUVs while yapping on
> phones al the time. This doesn't mean it's a good idea, or safe.
>
> > So thanks for the information but
> > don't expect Saturn to put a bold sticker on the dashboard informing
> > owners of this!

> Why would they? Nobody else does. But, if you look in the manual, it
> clearly states how you should tow the vehicle, and what conditions apply.
>
> Simply reading the manual will give the answer. It's not Saturn's fault
> if the owners don't read and follow the manual.

Sounds like you should read the manual too. p. 248 in the 2000s
series says you CAN TOW IT ON ALL 4 WHEELS if the the trans fluid
level is full! So why did that guys trans burn out?