02 Honda Civic EX (Please Help)

Old January 23rd 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 02 Honda Civic EX (Please Help)

I have a 2002 Honda Civic EX. I am having trouble with the cars
gas mileage and also with power. Here is what its doing: Every time I
get to a ¼ of a tank it runs really bad. At first when I am starting
my car it has to crank like 4 or 5 times before it will fire up but if
I crank it once or twice and then turn it to the off position and then
try again it will fire right up like it is suppose to. The other things
it is doing is it will stall out on me when I try to accelerate and
sometimes will die unless I ride the clutch. Then when I am just
sitting at an intersection it will stutter and bog out like it wants to
die. The catch to it is though when I am on a full tank it runs fine
except for the bad gas mileage. I am not a mechanic by any means and I
have taken this car to 3 different people and have gotten 3 different
answers. I am tired of wasting my money with dishonest people.
The check engine light is on and it reads that the fuel is
running lean, but why would I be getting this bad of gas mileage. When
I say I am getting bad gas mileage I am getting about 200 miles to a
tank and anyone who owns a Honda knows that's horrible. The problems
that have been told to me are this

1. That I have a crack in my exhaust manifold.
2. I need a new fuel pump.
3. My fuel gauge is off.

I am hoping some one on here might be able to help me out on
figuring out what's going on so I can get my car back to normal
conditions.

Old January 24th 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
loewent via CarKB.com

The 1/4 tank thing is common across most hondas. Instead of turning the key
immediately, turn it to the 'on' position until you here the fuel pump
disengage. It will then start normally.

When you are low on fuel, it takes longer to pressurize the fuel line running
from the back of your car to the fuel rail.

With regards the stalling issue, are you sure you are allowing the RPMs to
rise enough to ensure the engine won't stall? I'm not trying to insult you
here, but how experienced are you in driving a stick?

If it is a clutch issue, your mechanic should check for vacuum leaks, and
fluid level.

The exhaust manifold can be tested at a honda dealer to see if it is
defective, they spray something on it when hot that makes any cracks visible.
If its a catalyst issue, (doubtful on a car this age) then yes, the manifold
would need to be replaced.