1995 saturn

Old October 25th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
emancae

Default 1995 saturn

I need some help. I bought a used 95 saturn with ablown engine ( original
engine had a blown piston- odometer read(s) 83,000 miles). bought a used
engine and swapped the old out and fthe new in. new engine won't start. gets
spark ( simple ground test used); gets fuel to injector rail ( pulled line
loose ); pistons have compression ( did compression test ). now I admit I am
not a " mechanic" but this is the third car that I changed engines on (
previous- 85 cougar, 98 taurus ) got them to work -thought that this would
be nice project for my teanage son and me. any thoughts where I might look
to find the problem?? what happens is the engine turns but won't start.

Old October 25th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
BläBlä[_2_]

In article <684c26b360b0f@uwe>, u28315@uwe says...
> I need some help. I bought a used 95 saturn with ablown engine ( original
> engine had a blown piston- odometer read(s) 83,000 miles). bought a used
> engine and swapped the old out and fthe new in. new engine won't start. gets
> spark ( simple ground test used); gets fuel to injector rail ( pulled line
> loose ); pistons have compression ( did compression test ). now I admit I am
> not a " mechanic" but this is the third car that I changed engines on (
> previous- 85 cougar, 98 taurus ) got them to work -thought that this would
> be nice project for my teanage son and me. any thoughts where I might look
> to find the problem?? what happens is the engine turns but won't start.

Just to be sure try a "little" Starting Fluid. If it hits on that then
you know you have a fuel delivery problem.
Old October 25th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article <684c26b360b0f@uwe>, "emancae" <u28315@uwe> wrote:
>I need some help. I bought a used 95 saturn with ablown engine ( original
>engine had a blown piston- odometer read(s) 83,000 miles). bought a used
>engine and swapped the old out and fthe new in. new engine won't start. gets
>spark ( simple ground test used);

By which I presume you mean you pulled a plug and grounded it, then observed a
spark at the contact gap?

> gets fuel to injector rail ( pulled line loose );

Just because fuel gets to the injector rail does not mean it's getting into
the cylinders...

--
Regards,

Old October 25th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
emancae

BläBlä wrote:
>> I need some help. I bought a used 95 saturn with ablown engine ( original
>> engine had a blown piston- odometer read(s) 83,000 miles). bought a used

>[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
>> be nice project for my teanage son and me. any thoughts where I might look
>> to find the problem?? what happens is the engine turns but won't start.

>Just to be sure try a "little" Starting Fluid. If it hits on that then
>you know you have a fuel delivery problem.

thanks BlaBla. just as you said it appears in teh fuel delivery system. I
will try working that ...fuel pump " whirls" but it does seem to be a little
low in pressure at the injector rail.....

Old October 25th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
emancae via CarKB.com

Doug Miller wrote:
>>I need some help. I bought a used 95 saturn with ablown engine ( original
>>engine had a blown piston- odometer read(s) 83,000 miles). bought a used
>>engine and swapped the old out and fthe new in. new engine won't start. gets
>>spark ( simple ground test used);

>By which I presume you mean you pulled a plug and grounded it, then observed a
>spark at the contact gap?
>
>> gets fuel to injector rail ( pulled line loose );

>Just because fuel gets to the injector rail does not mean it's getting into
>the cylinders...

any suggestions Doug on how I might proceed?

Old October 26th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bob Shuman

Get a fuel pressure gauge and measure it.

Old October 26th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article <684fb9ced9208@uwe>, "emancae via CarKB.com" <u28315@uwe> wrote:
>Doug Miller wrote:
>>>I need some help. I bought a used 95 saturn with ablown engine ( original
>>>engine had a blown piston- odometer read(s) 83,000 miles). bought a used
>>>engine and swapped the old out and fthe new in. new engine won't start. gets
>>>spark ( simple ground test used);

>>By which I presume you mean you pulled a plug and grounded it, then observed a

>>spark at the contact gap?
>>
>>> gets fuel to injector rail ( pulled line loose );

>>Just because fuel gets to the injector rail does not mean it's getting into
>>the cylinders...

>any suggestions Doug on how I might proceed?

Pull an injector, and make sure it's clean -- fuel won't get through a clogged
injector.

Check your fuel pump pressure and compare to specs. If you don't already have
a Chilton or Haynes manual for the car, it's time to get one. Try eBay --
that's where I got mine, quite a bit less than half price.

And, as one other poster suggested, give it a little shot of ether (starting
fluid) and see if it lights that off. If it does, your problem is definitely
in the fuel system. If it doesn't, the problem is probably in the ignition
system.

--
Regards,

Old October 26th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
BläBlä[_2_]

> Pull an injector, and make sure it's clean -- fuel won't get through a clogged
> injector.

The best thing to check flow is to do a pressure drop test. One would
need a fuel pressure gage (30 bucks) a tool used to pulse the injectors
(80 bucks). Like so
Cyl 1: run pump-take reading-fire injector-take reading
Cyl 2: run pump-take reading-fire injector-take reading
Cyl 3: run pump-take reading-fire injector-take reading
Cyl 4: run pump-take reading-fire injector-take reading

> Check your fuel pump pressure and compare to specs. If you don't already have
> a Chilton or Haynes manual for the car, it's time to get one. Try eBay --
> that's where I got mine, quite a bit less than half price.
>
> And, as one other poster suggested, give it a little shot of ether (starting
> fluid) and see if it lights that off. If it does, your problem is definitely
> in the fuel system. If it doesn't, the problem is probably in the ignition
> system.

He did, its a fuel problem... Its either pressure or no command from the
ecm to pulse the injectors.
Old October 27th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
HyperCube33 \(Life2Death\)

A better question is what he did with the engine that he's not using

Old November 1st 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
emancae via CarKB.com

HyperCube33 (Life2Death) wrote:
>A better question is what he did with the engine that he's not using
>
>>I need some help. I bought a used 95 saturn with ablown engine ( original
>> engine had a blown piston- odometer read(s) 83,000 miles). bought a used

>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
>> look
>> to find the problem?? what happens is the engine turns but won't start.

finally got it running well- it was the fuel pump AND coolant sending unit (
controling fuel mix)..thanks fo rall the help!!