Civic LX 97 not-so-stellar-performance

Old July 16th 05, 07:21 AM
disallow via CarKB.com

huh? i don't get it. I know that in the US, the EX was a VTEC (although
often not labelled as so, it had the D16Y8 motor, vs the D16Y7 in the non
vtec) so there may be some truth to what you say. However, the difference
between my canadian LX and all the other sedan models is just in electronics.

But the suspension and steering parts are identical between all models, so
how does the EX and HX handle better?

Old July 16th 05, 01:20 PM
S.S.

disallow via CarKB.com wrote:

> huh? i don't get it. I know that in the US, the EX was a VTEC (although
> often not labelled as so, it had the D16Y8 motor, vs the D16Y7 in the non
> vtec) so there may be some truth to what you say. However, the difference
> between my canadian LX and all the other sedan models is just in electronics.

Honda trim levels have been known to be different in Canada and the U.S. for
a long time. My '93 Accord is a Canadian LX, which is actually the base
model. In the U.S., the base model was the DX, with LX being the reasonably
well equipped mid-level.
Old July 16th 05, 05:46 PM
disallow via CarKB.com

I think I pointed that out in my post. EX Gen 6 civics in the US is VTEC,
not in Canada. LX is top trim in the US, and bottom in Canada.

My point was that the suspension and steering parts are common, regardless of
trim level, whereas the previous poster said that the higher trim levels
'handle and corner better'.

Old July 16th 05, 06:22 PM
Kevin McMurtrie

In article >,
"disallow via CarKB.com" > wrote:

> huh? i don't get it. I know that in the US, the EX was a VTEC (although
> often not labelled as so, it had the D16Y8 motor, vs the D16Y7 in the non
> vtec) so there may be some truth to what you say. However, the difference
> between my canadian LX and all the other sedan models is just in electronics.
>
> But the suspension and steering parts are identical between all models, so
> how does the EX and HX handle better?

According to my US sales brochure, the 1997 LX and DX have the same
non-VTEC engine and both lack a front stabilizer.

I don't think it's only a Canada versus US thing. Honda doesn't seem
very consistent with their trim level features.

Old July 16th 05, 06:47 PM
jim beam

disallow via CarKB.com wrote:
> I think I pointed that out in my post. EX Gen 6 civics in the US is VTEC,
> not in Canada. LX is top trim in the US, and bottom in Canada.
>
> My point was that the suspension and steering parts are common, regardless of
> trim level, whereas the previous poster said that the higher trim levels
> 'handle and corner better'.

in the u.s., the ex has a front sway bar and the shocks are valved
slightly differently. it may have slightly larger front brake disks too
- can't remember.