Push button starting

Old November 14th 15, 09:28 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
harry k

Default Push button starting

Another family saved from CO death due to the "push the stupid button" system in Spokane, wa. Fortunately they woke up in time to recognize the problem. When is NTSB going to get off its butt and ban that crap?

What is the benefit of it? I suppose it is a bit simpler than inserting and turning a key but...

Does it make the vehicle harder to steal?

Harry K
Old November 15th 15, 03:58 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_8_]

On Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 3:28:26 PM UTC-5, Harry K wrote:
> Another family saved from CO death due to the "push the stupid button" system in Spokane, wa. Fortunately they woke up in time to recognize the problem. When is NTSB going to get off its butt and ban that crap?
>
> What is the benefit of it? I suppose it is a bit simpler than inserting and turning a key but...
>
> Does it make the vehicle harder to steal?

Isn't there supposed to be a key fob or something similar that is supposed to be at least in the immediate vicinity of the vehicle in order for it to run?

Or are all these Darwin Award wannabees to lazy to pick that up and take it with them?

--
necrosturgeon
Old November 15th 15, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
harry k

On Sunday, November 15, 2015 at 6:58:56 AM UTC-8, necromancer wrote:
> On Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 3:28:26 PM UTC-5, Harry K wrote:
> > Another family saved from CO death due to the "push the stupid button" system in Spokane, wa. Fortunately they woke up in time to recognize the problem. When is NTSB going to get off its butt and ban that crap?
> >
> > What is the benefit of it? I suppose it is a bit simpler than inserting and turning a key but...
> >
> > Does it make the vehicle harder to steal?

> Isn't there supposed to be a key fob or something similar that is supposed to be at least in the immediate vicinity of the vehicle in order for it to run?
>
> Or are all these Darwin Award wannabees to lazy to pick that up and take it with them?
>
> --
> necrosturgeon

Yes, the fob has to be very near, that is why I think the button may keep one frm being stolen. Not like "start with a screwdriver"

From the reports I have seen, people push the button thinking it is off and walk away.
Old November 15th 15, 06:39 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
harry k

On Sunday, November 15, 2015 at 9:33:36 AM UTC-8, Harry K wrote:
> On Sunday, November 15, 2015 at 6:58:56 AM UTC-8, necromancer wrote:
> > On Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 3:28:26 PM UTC-5, Harry K wrote:
> > > Another family saved from CO death due to the "push the stupid button" system in Spokane, wa. Fortunately they woke up in time to recognize the problem. When is NTSB going to get off its butt and ban that crap?
> > >
> > > What is the benefit of it? I suppose it is a bit simpler than inserting and turning a key but...
> > >
> > > Does it make the vehicle harder to steal?

> > Isn't there supposed to be a key fob or something similar that is supposed to be at least in the immediate vicinity of the vehicle in order for it to run?
> >
> > Or are all these Darwin Award wannabees to lazy to pick that up and take it with them?
> >
> > --
> > necrosturgeon

> Yes, the fob has to be very near, that is why I think the button may keep one frm being stolen. Not like "start with a screwdriver"
>
> From the reports I have seen, people push the button thinking it is off and walk away.

good article and I see the NTSB is addressing it:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...h-button-start