The War on Road Terrorism

Old August 28th 14, 05:04 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

Default The War on Road Terrorism

On 2014-08-28 15:15:56 +0000, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher said:

> On Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:42:52 AM UTC-4, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most
> Humble Philosopher wrote:
>> On Tuesday, August 26, 2014 5:16:49 PM UTC-4, Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>
>>> "Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher"

>>> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

>>> Resemblance is in the eye of the beholder, all looks good to me except
>>> when>> >>> > bicycles are around.

>>> You are the problem, then you complain about the problems you cause.

>> No, no, no, the problem is much deeper than the bicycles and
>> pedestrians you despise so much.>>>> It's a whole industry that feeds
>> on accidents. Nobody's safe. People live in fear to go out. No kids
>> playing outside. Bicycles are on top pedestrians who never complain
>> about their broken sidewalks --if any.
>>

>> It's chaos:
>>

>> http://www.amazon.com/Its-No-Acciden.../dp/1411681568

> Oh, don't forget this:
>
> 'For more than 30 years, the government has been ramming cars into
> walls in an effort to make car crashes safe. The public has been
> conditioned to believe that seatbelts, airbags and more "crashworthy"
> vehicles are the best ways to protect us from harm on the roads.
> Meanwhile, the most basic strategies to deter dangerous driving and
> prevent crashes have been ignored. "It's No Accident" provides a rare
> glimpse into how the government got seduced by the promise of "safe
> crashing." It then examines the major factors involved in crashes
> today, including speeding, aggressive driving, distractions (e.g. cell
> phones) and drowsy driving. The author reveals that many dangerous
> behaviors are now legally PROMOTED by businesses, and that drivers who
> kill often walk away with just a small fine. This well-documented
> expose is a must-read for anyone concerned about violent death and
> injury on our roads and how to stop it.'

Speeding...

....as in exceeding the posted limit...

....is not a major factor involved in crashes.

Old August 29th 14, 11:27 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

On 08/28/2014 12:04 PM, Alan Baker wrote:
> On 2014-08-28 15:15:56 +0000, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble
> Philosopher said:

>>> http://www.amazon.com/Its-No-Acciden.../dp/1411681568

>> Oh, don't forget this:
>>
>> 'For more than 30 years, the government has been ramming cars into
>> walls in an effort to make car crashes safe. The public has been
>> conditioned to believe that seatbelts, airbags and more "crashworthy"
>> vehicles are the best ways to protect us from harm on the roads.
>> Meanwhile, the most basic strategies to deter dangerous driving and
>> prevent crashes have been ignored. "It's No Accident" provides a rare
>> glimpse into how the government got seduced by the promise of "safe
>> crashing." It then examines the major factors involved in crashes
>> today, including speeding, aggressive driving, distractions (e.g. cell
>> phones) and drowsy driving. The author reveals that many dangerous
>> behaviors are now legally PROMOTED by businesses, and that drivers who
>> kill often walk away with just a small fine. This well-documented
>> expose is a must-read for anyone concerned about violent death and
>> injury on our roads and how to stop it.'

> Speeding...
>
> ...as in exceeding the posted limit...
> ...is not a major factor involved in crashes.

In fact, the NHTSA statistics regarding fatal speeding related crashes
are conflated fatal alcohol related crashes. If you factor out the
crashes involving alcohol, you'll find that speeding by itself is an
insignificant factor in crashes.