Repairing cracks in front plastic facia - will fiberglass resin "stick"?

Old October 7th 13, 04:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MoPar Man

Default Repairing cracks in front plastic facia - will fiberglass resin "stick"?

While I have the front facia off my '00 300m, I figure it's a good time
to fix some cracks on the lower edge.

I could rivit small pieces of sheet metal to bridge the cracks, but I'm
wondering if fiberglass resin would "stick" or bond to this facia?
Maybe if I roughened (sanded) it a little?

What is the facia made of? ABS plastic?

As far as the appearance of the front of the facia goes, I'd actually
like to remove all the lights and trim and give the front a good
spray-paint job to get it looking new. Have never painted pastic before
- how well does that turn out? Does it give a durable finish?
Old October 7th 13, 05:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Brent[_4_]

On 2013-10-07, MoPar Man > wrote:
> While I have the front facia off my '00 300m, I figure it's a good time
> to fix some cracks on the lower edge.
>
> I could rivit small pieces of sheet metal to bridge the cracks, but I'm
> wondering if fiberglass resin would "stick" or bond to this facia?
> Maybe if I roughened (sanded) it a little?
>
> What is the facia made of? ABS plastic?
>
> As far as the appearance of the front of the facia goes, I'd actually
> like to remove all the lights and trim and give the front a good
> spray-paint job to get it looking new. Have never painted pastic before
> - how well does that turn out? Does it give a durable finish?

3M makes a number of products to replair these parts. Just take a look
at their stuff and choose what is best for the material used on your car
and the damage that needs to be repaired.

On a bumper cover that was replaced I bridged a tear using a piece of
Al and rivets and then filled it with 3M filler. It worked, but the
cover has never been used on a car after being repaired. It's a 'just in
case' spare. Ideally I would have used the 3M material for tears to do
the structural part, but for something I keep around in case I need it
some day I didn't see the point of using anything I didn't already have
on hand. Just wanted to keep the tear from getting worse.

Old October 7th 13, 06:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve W.[_6_]

MoPar Man wrote:
> While I have the front facia off my '00 300m, I figure it's a good time
> to fix some cracks on the lower edge.
>
> I could rivit small pieces of sheet metal to bridge the cracks, but I'm
> wondering if fiberglass resin would "stick" or bond to this facia?
> Maybe if I roughened (sanded) it a little?
>
> What is the facia made of? ABS plastic?
>
> As far as the appearance of the front of the facia goes, I'd actually
> like to remove all the lights and trim and give the front a good
> spray-paint job to get it looking new. Have never painted pastic before
> - how well does that turn out? Does it give a durable finish?

Common resin won't bond to the SMC used. You can buy the proper
materials from most body supply places. Or you can plastic weld it back
together. I have done both. The chemical ways are a bit more expensive
but don't require as much practice, They also allow you to "glue" pieces
into other places.

Painting isn't hard. If the only item you are painting is the plastic
just have a paint shop make you up a 1/2 pint of color with flex
additive. Then spray away.

--
Steve W.
Old October 7th 13, 06:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 10/07/2013 01:22 PM, Steve W. wrote:
> MoPar Man wrote:
>> While I have the front facia off my '00 300m, I figure it's a good time
>> to fix some cracks on the lower edge.
>>
>> I could rivit small pieces of sheet metal to bridge the cracks, but I'm
>> wondering if fiberglass resin would "stick" or bond to this facia?
>> Maybe if I roughened (sanded) it a little?
>>
>> What is the facia made of? ABS plastic?
>> As far as the appearance of the front of the facia goes, I'd actually
>> like to remove all the lights and trim and give the front a good
>> spray-paint job to get it looking new. Have never painted pastic before
>> - how well does that turn out? Does it give a durable finish?

> Common resin won't bond to the SMC used. You can buy the proper
> materials from most body supply places. Or you can plastic weld it back
> together. I have done both. The chemical ways are a bit more expensive
> but don't require as much practice, They also allow you to "glue" pieces
> into other places.
>
> Painting isn't hard. If the only item you are painting is the plastic
> just have a paint shop make you up a 1/2 pint of color with flex
> additive. Then spray away.

If it's a thermoplastic, Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive "welding"
kit. I haven't tried it, but it seems like it might work.

I do like the idea of reinforcing with aluminum, but I'm concerned about
finding a suitable adhesive. Might want to ask at your local auto body
supply, if you have one.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old October 7th 13, 09:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve W.[_6_]

Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 10/07/2013 01:22 PM, Steve W. wrote:
>> MoPar Man wrote:
>>> While I have the front facia off my '00 300m, I figure it's a good time
>>> to fix some cracks on the lower edge.
>>>
>>> I could rivit small pieces of sheet metal to bridge the cracks, but I'm
>>> wondering if fiberglass resin would "stick" or bond to this facia?
>>> Maybe if I roughened (sanded) it a little?
>>>
>>> What is the facia made of? ABS plastic?
>>> As far as the appearance of the front of the facia goes, I'd actually
>>> like to remove all the lights and trim and give the front a good
>>> spray-paint job to get it looking new. Have never painted pastic before
>>> - how well does that turn out? Does it give a durable finish?

>> Common resin won't bond to the SMC used. You can buy the proper
>> materials from most body supply places. Or you can plastic weld it back
>> together. I have done both. The chemical ways are a bit more expensive
>> but don't require as much practice, They also allow you to "glue" pieces
>> into other places.
>>
>> Painting isn't hard. If the only item you are painting is the plastic
>> just have a paint shop make you up a 1/2 pint of color with flex
>> additive. Then spray away.
>>

> If it's a thermoplastic, Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive "welding"
> kit. I haven't tried it, but it seems like it might work.
>
> I do like the idea of reinforcing with aluminum, but I'm concerned about
> finding a suitable adhesive. Might want to ask at your local auto body
> supply, if you have one.
>
> nate

I have the HF plastic welder. Works as well as the high dollar one I
have, but takes a bit of practice.

--
Steve W.