A Cars forum. AutoBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AutoBanter forum » Auto makers » Honda
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Car/steering shake

Old August 18th 12, 07:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Car/steering shake

Hi all,

Since last week, my 91 Accord has been shaking very bad while driving. The steering wheel shakes pretty much at all speeds, with higher frequency at higher speeds. The whole car shakes hard at 50-70mph, and sometimes I can feel the car slightly swaying side to side while moving slowly (~10mph) in traffic on the highway. When I get to 70mph, most of the shaking of the car goes away abruptly.

The car also pulls hard to the left on the highway.

One of the tires in the front, and parts of suspension system (coil spring, etc.) on one of the sides in the front are newer, so I know that the front is a bit asymmetric. But it's been that way even before all these problems started appearing.

I'm wondering what sort of repair I'm looking at here. Could this be just a wheel alignment problem, or something more expensive such as drive shaft repair? Is there anything else that I should experiment with and tell my mechanic to help with the diagnostics?

Thanks much,
Fijoy
Ads