Dearly Departed SW2 - How I'll miss thee...

Old December 12th 11, 03:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Poptart

Default Dearly Departed SW2 - How I'll miss thee...

After 14 years (270,000km's) and a near trouble-free
existence, it's time to bid farewell to my 1998 SW2. Seems a shame,
car's in great shape, but the cost of replacing the clutch is $1000 or
more, and I just can't seem to justify it.

Remember driving it right out of the showroom at the
"retail-location" (remember... not dealerships, since there was
no-haggle pricing). 24km's on it.

Now it will only get me $500 from the recycle your ride
program against a 2012 Focus (I still can't believe I'm buying a
Ford!)

Oh well onward and indebted...
Old December 13th 11, 09:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

"Poptart" > wrote in message

> After 14 years (270,000km's) and a near trouble-free
> existence, it's time to bid farewell to my 1998 SW2. Seems a shame,
> car's in great shape, but the cost of replacing the clutch is $1000 or
> more, and I just can't seem to justify it.
>
> Remember driving it right out of the showroom at the
> "retail-location" (remember... not dealerships, since there was
> no-haggle pricing). 24km's on it.
>
> Now it will only get me $500 from the recycle your ride
> program against a 2012 Focus (I still can't believe I'm buying a
> Ford!)
>
> Oh well onward and indebted...

Sorry for your loss and intended indebtedness. You've got your own economic
stimulus going.
At least the Focus isn't the one with the wheels falling off.
http://newyorkcity.injuryboard.com/d...oogleid=296716

I dread when it's time to move on from the '01 LW300. We've got 180K miles
(270K km) now.

Old December 14th 11, 01:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Poptart

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 16:56:18 -0500, "Oppie" > wrote:

>"Poptart" > wrote in message
.. .

>> After 14 years (270,000km's) and a near trouble-free
>> existence, it's time to bid farewell to my 1998 SW2. Seems a shame,
>> car's in great shape, but the cost of replacing the clutch is $1000 or
>> more, and I just can't seem to justify it.
>>
>> Remember driving it right out of the showroom at the
>> "retail-location" (remember... not dealerships, since there was
>> no-haggle pricing). 24km's on it.
>>
>> Now it will only get me $500 from the recycle your ride
>> program against a 2012 Focus (I still can't believe I'm buying a
>> Ford!)
>>
>> Oh well onward and indebted...

>Sorry for your loss and intended indebtedness. You've got your own economic
>stimulus going.
>At least the Focus isn't the one with the wheels falling off.
>http://newyorkcity.injuryboard.com/d...oogleid=296716
>
>I dread when it's time to move on from the '01 LW300. We've got 180K miles
>(270K km) now.

Wheels? We don need no stinkin' wheels!

Good luck with the 300. I always liked that car, but the V6 didn't
come with a standard, at least in Canada, and that's a deal breaker
for me.

Old December 16th 11, 11:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Private

"Poptart" > wrote in message

> After 14 years (270,000km's) and a near trouble-free
> existence, it's time to bid farewell to my 1998 SW2. Seems a shame,
> car's in great shape, but the cost of replacing the clutch is $1000 or
> more, and I just can't seem to justify it.
>
> Remember driving it right out of the showroom at the
> "retail-location" (remember... not dealerships, since there was
> no-haggle pricing). 24km's on it.
>
> Now it will only get me $500 from the recycle your ride
> program against a 2012 Focus (I still can't believe I'm buying a
> Ford!)
>
> Oh well onward and indebted...

I agree that no machinery lasts forever, and the Focus seems to be one of
the better choices among the current fuel efficient offerings. However IMHO
substantial indebtedness is never advisable, and there is another
alternative that you may not have considered but may (or not) fit your
individual situation.

IMHO the SW series is a very usable body style and your car may still have
service life remaining in lots of parts that can easily be removed. The
used market seems to be full of good Saturn cars, some with very low kms.
Many people shy away from used cars no longer in production. If you have
the time to be patient, I suspect you can find another S series car which is
very drivable and can be purchased for under $2k and maybe much less. I
spoke with someone who had just purchased a SW with 120kkm for $700. Your
car may have good value left in just the tires (mounted on rims) and battery
and maybe seat covers or stereo. It is wintertime and it does not take much
of a crash to write off a car but still leave a good powertrain and other
salvage which you could use to repair your SW. You would own both cars
outright and not have a bank forcing you to carry expensive insurance and
would only need PL&PB. The insurance savings alone might be a substantial
part of the cost of a good used car. About the only thing you need for this
strategy is a place to park the unused vehicle until it is needed, and I
suspect that it will still be worth $500 to the recycle your ride program in
the coming year(s) or longer.

Good luck, YMMV