Help with Rocker Arm bolts torque settings!

Old April 11th 11, 06:10 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.honda
somick[_5_]

Default Help with Rocker Arm bolts torque settings!

Vehicle 1995 Accord LX non vtec with estimated more than 200,000 miles
(odometer is dead). Inner spark plug wells leaking badly and we need
to replace the bottom seals. As far as I understand Rocker Arm
assembly needs to be removed to get to the seals.

For reassembly the torque specification according to the FSM is 16 lbf-
ft for 8mm bolts and 8.7 lbf-ft for 6mm bolts.

Question 1: is lbf-ft the same as torque wrench settings: ft/lb.

And probably the main question: do I read it right – 8.7 foot per
pound? Is that all the torque that those bolts need?

My torque wrench settins start with 20 or 25 ft/lb. What is going to
happen if I use my torque wrench and set all bolts to 25 ft/lb. Will
I damage or destroy anything?

Appreciate your help,

Sam
Old April 11th 11, 07:21 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.honda
somick[_5_]

On Apr 11, 10:31*am, Tegger > wrote:
> somick > wrote in news:076fa576-1677-4ae8-9853-
> :
>
> > Vehicle 1995 Accord LX non vtec with estimated more than 200,000 miles
> > (odometer is dead). *Inner spark plug wells leaking badly and we need
> > to replace the bottom seals. *As far as I understand Rocker Arm
> > assembly needs to be removed to get to the seals.

> > For reassembly the torque specification according to the FSM is 16 lbf-
> > ft for 8mm bolts and 8.7 lbf-ft for 6mm bolts.

> Assuming you've got an Accord manual in front of you and not a Civic one....
>

> > Question 1: *is lbf-ft the same as torque wrench settings: *ft/lb.

> Yes.
>

> > And probably the main question: do I read it right 8.7 foot per
> > pound? *Is that all the torque that those bolts need?

> Yes. But you can round that up to 9 ft/lbs.
>

> > My torque wrench settins start with 20 or 25 ft/lb. *What is going to
> > happen if I use my torque wrench and set all bolts to 25 ft/lb. *Will
> > I damage or destroy anything?

> You will cause a lot of damage. Do not use the wrong tool to do this work..
>
> If you do not have the correct tool, go and buy it. You can get a
> correctly-calibrated beam-type torque wrench fairly cheaply.
>
> --
> Tegger

Thanks Tegger! Great help! (AS ALLWAYS).

I am just curious: what kind of damage can I cause? Stripped threads?
Old April 11th 11, 07:38 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.honda
Tegger[_3_]

somick > wrote in
:

> I am just curious: what kind of damage can I cause? Stripped threads?

That, and camshaft damage. Those bolts hold down the camshaft holders.

You MUST stick to the factory torque settings, and you MUST follow the
EXACT tightening sequence, if one is given.

--
Tegger
Old April 11th 11, 08:44 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 04/11/2011 10:10 AM, somick wrote:
> Vehicle 1995 Accord LX non vtec with estimated more than 200,000 miles
> (odometer is dead). Inner spark plug wells leaking badly and we need
> to replace the bottom seals. As far as I understand Rocker Arm
> assembly needs to be removed to get to the seals.

correct.

> For reassembly the torque specification according to the FSM is 16 lbf-
> ft for 8mm bolts and 8.7 lbf-ft for 6mm bolts.

correct.

> Question 1: is lbf-ft the same as torque wrench settings: ft/lb.

yes - ft.lbs = lbf.ft = lb.ft. avoid "/" - it's force multiplied by
distance, not divided by.

> And probably the main question: do I read it right � 8.7 foot per
> pound?

yes.

> Is that all the torque that those bolts need?

yes.

> My torque wrench settins start with 20 or 25 ft/lb. What is going to
> happen if I use my torque wrench and set all bolts to 25 ft/lb. Will
> I damage or destroy anything?

yup. get the correct torque wrench. bending beam wrenches are cheap
but reasonably accurate. you

> Appreciate your help,
>
> Sam

iirc, there's a honda service bulletin on this problem - u.s.-made cam
holder castings tend to be porous and leak oil. replacing the seals may
slow it down, but be prepared for it to not stop completely - my
experience with my 96 accord f22b2.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old April 19th 11, 05:48 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.honda
somick[_5_]

Update.

Did it this weekend and adjusted valves clearance afterwards.
Everything went as planned. The car runs very good. I still feel
quite uneasy about the torque settings, but hope it will hold.

Thanks to jim for pointing out that “/” is a division sign. I will
keep it in mind in my future posts.

Thanks to everybody who contributed.

Regards,
Sam