A poor quality example of why GT5 is so addictive

Old January 11th 11, 12:58 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

Default A poor quality example of why GT5 is so addictive

My cheap LCD filmed by my lousy camera... Not a recipe for success. But maybe my
barely controlled lap at the Ring will show non PS3 owners why I have been
converted by the Sony Borg.

So much of GT5 is a disappointment. But this really does feel as good to drive as
it looks in the replay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Ke7_bmFZw

Just watching it makes me want to turn on the PS3 again. I have to find about 18s
from somewhere to get Gold on this challenge. That ought to take me about, oh, ten
years! :-)

Andrew McP
Old January 11th 11, 06:01 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
pjgtech[_3_]

Cool...

8-)

Old January 15th 11, 12:52 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Hasse K

Andrew MacPherson wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Ke7_bmFZw
>
> Just watching it makes me want to turn on the PS3 again. I have to
> find about 18s from somewhere to get Gold on this challenge. That
> ought to take me about, oh, ten years! :-)

Thanks for showing us. Looks impressive indeed! I haven't got a PS3 either
but been thinking about one. This makes it very tempting. But my
drivingskills
are far worse than that and you need to shave 18 secs for gold?

And besides I need a new TV as well to enjoy the game... probably need a
new wheel and pedals as well...

--
Hasse

Old January 16th 11, 08:10 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

lid (Hasse K) wrote:

> I haven't got a PS3 either but been thinking about one.

As I have already said, GT5 the overall game is a real mixture of pleasure and pain.
However after two years of the same kind of emotional cocktail in iRacing I am used
to having a very conflicted mindset. :-)

But I fired up GT5 again yesterday after a few days off and returned to the
challenge in the video. I swear there are moments of sheer sim bliss here which
make up for all the other annoyances and disappointments GT5 can throw at you.

There are two spots in particular on the 'Ring where the car and feedback work so
well you're in sim heaven for just a moment (at 1:16 and 5:46). If you're pushing
hard (too hard to be really fast) the car takes off briefly and touches down again,
the combination of FFB, sound, and car "weight" just bursts a little bubble of sim
heroin in your brain. Every time I experience it again I'm as thrilled as the last.
And this, and this alone makes me recommend the PS3 to anyone.

It is, perhaps, a little luxurious to buy it *just* for this one experience. But as
I get older I am increasingly inclined to grab opportunities to be entertained when
they appear. I've been waiting for tomorrow for too long! :-)

> But my driving skills are far worse than that

I refuse to believe you can be much worse than me. On iRacing I only ever achieved
anything when racing with complete novices or drunks. And you don't want to know
how many times I've had to restart that challenge lap at the Ring. :-)

> and you need to shave 18 secs for gold?

Some of the Gold requirements are pretty tough (especially the ones where you can't
just buy and improve a car much faster than the competition). I'm doing a 7:22-ish
in the vid, and Gold is 7:05. I think I've done a :17 more recently, but I think I
could spend another year trying to get to :05 and still fail!

> And besides I need a new TV as well to enjoy the game

I bought a cheap cable which allows my monitor to be used rather than my ancient,
CRT TV. But it's only 20", and while that's perfect for my three screen PC racing,
it's not enough for GT5. The only thing I find myself constantly wishing for in GT5
is the option to run three screens. I hope they add that to the PS4, but I doubt
it'll happen.

I am looking for a 'cheap' 32" TV to use for GT5, but it will mess up my desk
arrangement. I suppose I could buy three instead and replace my 20" monitors with
them. But that might be just a *little* indulgent. Even more indulgent than
spending £700 on iRacing or £300 on a PS3! :-)

> ... probably need a new wheel and pedals as well...

When I bought my G25 I was lucky and got it very cheap soon before the G27 was
announced. But it really did make a difference to my driving in sims, especially
iRacing. In fact it was the reason I re-joined iRacing, because it felt so good in
the, er... iRacing "demo".

So I can definitely recommend a new wheel rather than a PS3. It will be cheaper and
more useful overall.

Having said that, you can't play Little Big Planet on a G27. I must admit that
although I'm not really interested in general gaming on the PS3, demos of exclusive
titles like LBP2 are highly entertaining. But they also distract me from the list
of games I bought in the Steam sale... in 2009, let alone 2010! :-)

Andrew McP

PS On an unrelated note, I have been fascinated by how capable the PS3 is, despite
using so little power. Mine uses less than 100W when running GT5, where my PC needs
more like 300W to run a game/sim. I know the original PS3 ate more electricity, but
the reason the slim is so quiet is that it's so darned efficient! Impressive
engineering.
Old January 16th 11, 06:22 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Hasse K

Andrew MacPherson wrote:

Thanks for your extensive answer.

> It is, perhaps, a little luxurious to buy it *just* for this one
> experience. But as I get older I am increasingly inclined to grab
> opportunities to be entertained when they appear. I've been waiting
> for tomorrow for too long! :-)

Well I know it doubles as a bluray player as well.

And I know what you mean. I have also been waiting for tomorrow too much.
When it comes to digital stuff we now that there will always be better and
cheaper stuff coming out, as soon as we decide to buy anything.

> I refuse to believe you can be much worse than me. On iRacing I only
> ever achieved anything when racing with complete novices or drunks.
> And you don't want to know how many times I've had to restart that
> challenge lap at the Ring. :-)

The only sim I played much at all was GPL ... and I was not very good at it.
I have never played online even.

Where much is not much at all probably compared with a lot of other people.
But I enjoyed it a lot. When all the custom tracks started to come out I
thought it was more fun to try all the new tracks. Rather than becoming
especially good at anyone of them. I have seen that they still release new
tracks for GPL. And I was really intrigued by the "Grand Prix Legends: 1967
World Sportscars Mod", that might be a better way to get back into simming
again. Haven't tried it yet though.

http://www.sportscarlegends.net/

>> And besides I need a new TV as well to enjoy the game

> I bought a cheap cable which allows my monitor to be used rather than
> my ancient, CRT TV. But it's only 20", and while that's perfect for
> my three screen PC racing, it's not enough for GT5. The only thing I
> find myself constantly wishing for in GT5 is the option to run three
> screens. I hope they add that to the PS4, but I doubt it'll happen.

I have a 22" monitor wide-screen. So a little better, maybe... :-)
But to enjoy the bluray I definitely need a better TV as well. Only have an
old CRT.

>> ... probably need a new wheel and pedals as well...

> When I bought my G25 I was lucky and got it very cheap soon before
> the G27 was announced. But it really did make a difference to my
> driving in sims, especially iRacing. In fact it was the reason I
> re-joined iRacing, because it felt so good in the, er... iRacing
> "demo".
>
> So I can definitely recommend a new wheel rather than a PS3. It will
> be cheaper and more useful overall.

I have somekind of Thrustmaster wheel and pedals now. That I bought 6-7
years ago to replace my old red Logitech wheel. Couldn't get the Logitech
wheel to work on the then new computer.

--
Hasse

Old January 21st 11, 07:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
pjgtech[_3_]

Hmmm, I must try GT5 again soon, but I've been been playing Call of Duty
- Black Ops solidly for about three weeks now, trying to get to 2nd
prestige level!

The Ring on GT5 is pretty damn good though isn't it...

I have it in the lounge on my 40"LG HD tv and it looks awesome, but....

Because it is in the lounge, I can only play on the PS3 when....swimbo
is out, or otherwise engaged in another part of the house, or if one of
our (many) nephews or nieces are here, (its an excuse to keep them
happy)....

8-)