LW300 rear suspension

Old June 30th 10, 03:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_8_]

Default LW300 rear suspension

Bushings are starting to go in the rear trailing arms. Ordered new trailing
arms at $350 each (ouch!) as the bushings are about $90 each by themselves,
made more sense to get the trailing arms. This appears to be just a bolt-in
vs bushings which need to be pressed. At about 160K miles, can't really
complain too much. It's still a good car.

Oppie

Old July 12th 10, 04:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

"Oppie" > wrote in message
> Bushings are starting to go in the rear trailing arms. Ordered new
> trailing arms at $350 each (ouch!) as the bushings are about $90 each by
> themselves, made more sense to get the trailing arms. This appears to be
> just a bolt-in vs bushings which need to be pressed. At about 160K miles,
> can't really complain too much. It's still a good car.
>
> Oppie

Got the new trailing arms installed in about five hours. Amazingly, nothing
else broke in the process. Impact wrench, torque wrench, rust penetrant
(Kroil) and shop manual plus a good deal of muscle and common sense for the
stuff the manual doesn't tell you. Still need to do a wheel alignment. I
marked the outline of the trailing arm to chassis mounts with magic marker
in order to get the alignment close as possible after the swap. Will
probably do the front struts / strut mounts this fall. With the new trailing
arms, already drives much better. The rear struts were replaced last summer.

If anybody has need of the old arms, let me know. Once out, a machine shop
can press in new bushings fairly easily.

Oppie
2001 lw300