tires

Old November 24th 09, 01:49 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Joe[_124_]

Default tires

Bought a 98 vette. Has toyo tires. They seem quite loud over the highway. Is
this a known issue? My first vette.Suggestions on replacements. Thanks Joe

Old November 24th 09, 02:41 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

Joe? Can you hear me??

-W

Old November 24th 09, 03:23 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Gary Mishler

"Joe" > wrote in message
> Bought a 98 vette. Has toyo tires. They seem quite loud over the highway.
> Is this a known issue? My first vette.Suggestions on replacements. Thanks
> Joe

I have been very happy with Michelin Pilot 2's

Old November 24th 09, 12:59 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Blue C5

On Nov 23, 9:23*pm, "Gary Mishler" > wrote:
> "Joe" > wrote in message

> > Bought a 98 vette. Has toyo tires. They seem quite loud over the highway.
> > Is this a known issue? My first vette.Suggestions on replacements. Thanks
> > Joe

> I have been very happy with Michelin Pilot 2's

Goodyear Run Flats came on my 2000 convertible. They were OK on
macadam but very loud on cement. Mid-America sells stuff for the
inerior than dampens the sound. I replaced the Goodyears at about 45K
miles with Michelin ZP (Zero Pressure) Run Flats. They were much
quieter.

I would suggest you partner up with some local Vette owners and take a
ride to determine whether your tires are unacceptable.

Bob Drake C3/C4/C5
Old November 25th 09, 01:28 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob I[_2_]

Remember, old tires are noisier than new tires. So ask folks what "OLD"
tires they have been happiest with.

Old November 26th 09, 02:59 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Blue C5

On Nov 25, 7:28*am, Bob I > wrote:
> Remember, old tires are noisier than new tires. So ask folks what "OLD"
> tires they have been happiest with.
>
> Joe wrote:
> > Bought a 98 vette. Has toyo tires. They seem quite loud over the highway. Is
> > this a known issue? My first vette.Suggestions on replacements. Thanks Joe

My old Michelin ZPs are quieter than the Goodyears. The noticeable
difference is in the increase in tire pressure as the tire gets hot.
The Michelins will go up about 4 lbs - Goodyears were about 3. ZPs
may be a softer tire but I am guessing. I put nitrogen in the
Michelins (had air as well - hard to evacuate them) and the pressure
change dropped to about 3.

I don't autocross any more so I can't speak to handling - just
cruising.

Bob C3/C4/C5
Old November 26th 09, 03:57 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob I[_2_]

Blue C5 wrote:
> On Nov 25, 7:28 am, Bob I > wrote:
>> Remember, old tires are noisier than new tires. So ask folks what "OLD"
>> tires they have been happiest with.
>>
>> Joe wrote:
>>> Bought a 98 vette. Has toyo tires. They seem quite loud over the highway. Is
>>> this a known issue? My first vette.Suggestions on replacements. Thanks Joe

> My old Michelin ZPs are quieter than the Goodyears. The noticeable
> difference is in the increase in tire pressure as the tire gets hot.
> The Michelins will go up about 4 lbs - Goodyears were about 3. ZPs
> may be a softer tire but I am guessing. I put nitrogen in the
> Michelins (had air as well - hard to evacuate them) and the pressure
> change dropped to about 3.
>
> I don't autocross any more so I can't speak to handling - just
> cruising.
>
> Bob C3/C4/C5

I'd guess the temp increase difference is due to more flexible side
walls on ZP's. In reality, air is nearly 4/5's nitrogen, so adding in 2
atmospheres of nitrogen, you are down to 7% O2. I'd worry more about
moisture as the big pressure changer due to temperature increases.
Old November 29th 09, 02:25 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Bob I wrote:
> Remember, old tires are noisier than new tires. So ask folks what "OLD"
> tires they have been happiest with.
>
> Joe wrote:
>> Bought a 98 vette. Has toyo tires. They seem quite loud over the
>> highway. Is this a known issue? My first vette.Suggestions on
>> replacements. Thanks Joe

Agree with Bob -- 3 to 4 years is all you should
expect from speed rated rubber.

Some "low-noise" tires (ex: Yokohama dB2) use an
outer nylon belt to quiet tread noise. Those
may take 10-15 miles to warm up. Great for a
trip on the highway but a source of misery if
most of your runs are 20-30 miles.

Dad's Conti's are nice all-round tires.

OEM Tires, Optional OEM tires, and totally off-the-wall tires Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B Technology 68 September 12th 07 03:08 AM
Winter drivinng: FWD and RWD with snow tires vs. AWD with all-season tires - what people who have done the tests say GRL BMW 27 February 26th 06 07:27 PM
FS: 5'er Snow Tires: Wheels and Tires Nik BMW 5 December 16th 05 01:36 AM
Quiet tires=soft tires? Frank Honda 8 March 16th 05 08:40 PM
Winter tires vs offroad tires. Goldhawk 4x4 5 January 5th 05 10:34 PM