Heating/Cooling Display Dim on 2000 C5

Old November 17th 09, 08:56 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Blue C5

Default Heating/Cooling Display Dim on 2000 C5

The subject display is very dim and very hard to see during the day.
If I turn on the headlamps, the display will dim and come up when I
turn up the display rheostat, but the display will be no brighter than
the dim daylight display.

Anyone have experience on this one. Not critical - I know which knob
to turn when I am cold or hot.

Bob Drake, Alex., VA 2000 C5
Old November 18th 09, 01:37 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Blue C5" > wrote in message
> The subject display is very dim and very hard to see during the day.
> If I turn on the headlamps, the display will dim and come up when I
> turn up the display rheostat, but the display will be no brighter
> than
> the dim daylight display.
>
> Anyone have experience on this one. Not critical - I know which
> knob
> to turn when I am cold or hot.
>
> Bob Drake, Alex., VA 2000 C5

Parts made in China, soldered in Mexico to a circuit board from Taiwan
by hands with donkey poop on them. All that adds up to a bad solder
job that come loose. It can be a DIY job if you can solder a clean
joint.

http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...zel_howto.html

http://www.cccorvette.org/tech.html

The last site has a link to a pictured repair job on the Corvette
forum under C5 tips, nice site.

Old November 18th 09, 01:32 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Blue C5

On Nov 17, 7:37*pm, "Dad" > wrote:
> "Blue C5" > wrote in message

> > The subject display is very dim and very hard to see during the day.
> > If I turn on the headlamps, the display will dim and come up when I
> > turn up the display rheostat, but the display will be no brighter
> > than
> > the dim daylight display.

> > Anyone have experience on this one. *Not critical - I know which
> > knob
> > to turn when I am cold or hot.

> > Bob Drake, Alex., VA *2000 C5

> Parts made in China, soldered in Mexico to a circuit board from Taiwan
> by hands with donkey poop on them. All that adds up to a bad solder
> job that come loose. *It can be a DIY job if you can solder a clean
> joint.
>
> http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...zel_howto.html
>
> http://www.cccorvette.org/tech.html
>
> The last site has a link to a pictured repair job on the Corvette
> forum under C5 tips, nice site.

Thanks Dad - Looks really easy. I have the soldering skills and an
adjustable temperature soldering station.. Excellent site. I like
the test procedure - solder - plug it in - check for brightness - redo
- until you have it.
Old November 19th 09, 12:07 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_4_]

In article >,
"Dad" > wrote:

> "Blue C5" > wrote in message
> > The subject display is very dim and very hard to see during the day.
> > If I turn on the headlamps, the display will dim and come up when I
> > turn up the display rheostat, but the display will be no brighter
> > than
> > the dim daylight display.
> >
> > Anyone have experience on this one. Not critical - I know which
> > knob
> > to turn when I am cold or hot.
> >
> > Bob Drake, Alex., VA 2000 C5

> Parts made in China, soldered in Mexico to a circuit board from Taiwan
> by hands with donkey poop on them. All that adds up to a bad solder
> job that come loose. It can be a DIY job if you can solder a clean
> joint.
>
> http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...zel_howto.html
>
> http://www.cccorvette.org/tech.html
>
> The last site has a link to a pictured repair job on the Corvette
> forum under C5 tips, nice site.

Ditto on the above. Mine got so bad I could not read the display. I
pulled the unit and took it to a business that had people with surface
mount soldering skills. They touched up the solder joints and cleaned
up the board. I plugged it in and has been working perfect for two
years. The pictures on Corvette Forum were great.

2001 Black 6-Speed Coupe
Old November 19th 09, 07:55 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Blue C5

What a great forum. I posted a problem with my dim display and got
answers you would expect to find in the Service manual. Disassembling
to get the AC display out was just under an hour with no problems. It
was clear that one of the resistors was loose and needed soldering.
Instead of seven, there were eight, which indicates my 2000 had the
2001 board in it. No better than the previous board I think. I
touched up all the solder joints as recommended and reinstalled the
display - you can check it out before you close it up.. Nice and
bright. Reassembled in about 45 minutes and the car is good to go.
Thanks again especially Dad who referred me to the repair
procedure.
Old November 20th 09, 06:17 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Blue C5" > wrote in message
> What a great forum. I posted a problem with my dim display and got
> answers you would expect to find in the Service manual.
> Disassembling
> to get the AC display out was just under an hour with no problems.
> It
> was clear that one of the resistors was loose and needed soldering.
> Instead of seven, there were eight, which indicates my 2000 had the
> 2001 board in it. No better than the previous board I think. I
> touched up all the solder joints as recommended and reinstalled the
> display - you can check it out before you close it up.. Nice and
> bright. Reassembled in about 45 minutes and the car is good to go.
> Thanks again especially Dad who referred me to the repair
> procedure.

Good to see a reply on how it worked for you. I can't solder for
beans, weld up a storm but still can't master soldering.

Old November 20th 09, 06:42 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

"Dad" > wrote in message

> Good to see a reply on how it worked for you. I can't solder for
> beans, weld up a storm but still can't master soldering.

Try having a drink first to stop your hands from shaking. <EG>

-W (runs like hell)

Old November 20th 09, 06:56 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Clams Canino" > wrote in message
m...

> "Dad" > wrote in message
>
>> Good to see a reply on how it worked for you. I can't solder for
>> beans, weld up a storm but still can't master soldering.

> Try having a drink first to stop your hands from shaking. <EG>
>
> -W (runs like hell)

So alcohol is your answer, good for you. I did quit free style pistol
shooting because I can't stay on target, now do combat shooting so I
can use 2 hands. You can't run fast enough. ;-))