Opinion on iRacing short falls.

Old May 29th 09, 11:43 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ruud van Gaal

Default Opinion on iRacing short falls.

wrote:
> On May 25, 7:12 am, "jeffareid" > wrote:
>> Games
>> can be used to learn the basic layout of a new track, but a driver isn't
>> going to learn his braking and turn in points until some quality
>> real world time with a particular car and track combination.

> That is not true. Of course it doesn't completely substitute for real-
> world practice time, but it does teach you braking and turn-in points,
> among other things. The quality of vehicle and track modeling makes a
> difference.

Indeed; I've driven on Zandvoort both in a simulator and in real life,
and it does help greatly to at least know what braking points you have
in the simulator. It scales quite well to real life.

Old May 29th 09, 09:10 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jeffareid

> Indeed; I've driven on Zandvoort both in a simulator and in real life, and it does help greatly to at least know what
> braking points you have in the simulator. It scales quite well to real life.

So in your opintion how close are the braking points? Perhaps it's
related to the track and conditions, but I've read a few times that
the braking points in iRacing are significantly different than the
braking points in real life, an apparent limitation of sim-oriented
factors in a racing game. The turn-in points will be about the same,
even in an arcade game, although the fastest way through the tricky
(non-intuitive) and tight corner sequence at a track like Willow
Springs may not be the fastest way for a sim-oriented game. I don't
know if Willow Springs is included in iRacing.

Old May 29th 09, 11:01 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

On May 28, 9:53*pm, "jeffareid" > wrote:

> >> RSC is down so I don't have links.

> > Are these 'real racers' people of note?

> Nope, just real racers. I cant remember if the Skip Barber school
> instructors were one of the ones that stated that braking points in iRacing
> weren't the same as the braking points in real life.
>
> It's an issue related to simulation versus real life, but I don't know what
> the specifics are other than comments made by a few racers.

Read while ago there is sim which did have these accurate braking
points and physics much better matched, looking for link. if tracks
are so acurate shouldn't brakes & driving be if software is good?
Old May 30th 09, 09:11 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David Fisher's Left Testicle

"jeffareid" > wrote in message

>>> RSC is down so I don't have links.

>> Are these 'real racers' people of note?

> Nope, just real racers. I cant remember if the Skip Barber school
> instructors were one of the ones that stated that braking points in
> iRacing
> weren't the same as the braking points in real life.
>
> It's an issue related to simulation versus real life, but I don't know
> what
> the specifics are other than comments made by a few racers.

There could be a number of reasons for the discrepancy, like their panties
filling up sooner in real life.

Old June 1st 09, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Byron Forbes

"jeffareid" > wrote in message

>>> RSC is down so I don't have links.

>> Are these 'real racers' people of note?

> Nope, just real racers. I cant remember if the Skip Barber school
> instructors were one of the ones that stated that braking points in
> iRacing
> weren't the same as the braking points in real life.
>
> It's an issue related to simulation versus real life, but I don't know
> what
> the specifics are other than comments made by a few racers.

Well, for any of this discussion to have any validity at all we need the
people making these comments to verify that what they are driving is EXACTLY
the same as what's being simmed.

Tyres (new or worn), brakes, weight, etc.

If there is any truth to this though then it sure does make a mockery of
the mm perfect tracks. No point having mm perfect tracks if everything else
isn't mm perfect - chain's as strong as the weakest link!