replacing wheel after replacing brake pads

Old May 18th 09, 10:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Mephistopheles Jones

Default replacing wheel after replacing brake pads

I just replaced my front brake pads on a '96 SL1. After screwing the
calipers in place, I noticed they now stick out away from the car and
there is not enough room to put the wheels back on. I pressed the
brake a few times (the first press was just air) and the problem is
still there. Any hints?

Meph
Old May 18th 09, 11:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article >, Mephistopheles Jones > wrote:
>I just replaced my front brake pads on a '96 SL1. After screwing the
>calipers in place, I noticed they now stick out away from the car and
>there is not enough room to put the wheels back on. I pressed the
>brake a few times (the first press was just air) and the problem is
>still there. Any hints?

Remove and reinstall the calipers -- this time, correctly. Clearly, you didn't
get them on properly the first time. It's kinda hard to see from here exactly
where you made a mistake, but it is pretty clear that you did. Do you have a
service manual with a diagram that shows what it's supposed to look like? If
not, let me know -- I have a full set of '96 factory service manuals, and I
can scan a few pages and email them to you if you need.
Old May 18th 09, 11:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Meph

On May 18, 3:32*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
> In article >, Mephistopheles Jones > wrote:
>
> >I just replaced my front brake pads on a '96 SL1. *After screwing the
> >calipers in place, I noticed they now stick out away from the car and
> >there is not enough room to put the wheels back on. *I pressed the
> >brake a few times (the first press was just air) and the problem is
> >still there. *Any hints?

> Remove and reinstall the calipers -- this time, correctly. Clearly, you didn't
> get them on properly the first time. It's kinda hard to see from here exactly
> where you made a mistake, but it is pretty clear that you did. Do you have a
> service manual with a diagram that shows what it's supposed to look like? If
> not, let me know -- I have a full set of '96 factory service manuals, and I
> can scan a few pages and email them to you if you need.

Actually the problem was simple. I was trying to put the wheels on
backwards! Both of them! (I was in a rush to get to work, which
might explain the mental lapse, but to make matters worse, I had to
steal the wife's car for today. Oops!