Recommended Tune ups for 03 ION?

Old January 16th 09, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default Recommended Tune ups for 03 ION?

Hello all.. I have a '03 Saturn ION that has about 50,000 miles on
it.. what would you consider the essential things to tune up? Spark
plugs, transmission flush etc? I would like to keep it in real good
running shape, without breaking the bank!
Old January 18th 09, 05:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

The 2.2L engine will not need a tune up for at least 100,000 miles. The
radiator and tranny fluids are good for 150,000 miles and you have no power
steering fluid, its electro-mechanical. The chassis needs no scheduled
lubrication.

So, maybe the occasional wiper blades, windshield wiping fluid and an
occasional check up at your local shop once in awhile if you do have any
problems. If this is a automatic transmission, do check on the tranny once
in awhile if it is the VTi tranny.

Basically, gas it up and drive!

--
marx404
<all gmail posts blocked>

Old January 19th 09, 05:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bob Shuman

Don't forget to check tire pressure frequently, perform regular engine oil
changes, and check the brakes occasionally too!

Bob

Old January 19th 09, 01:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

Oh, very important!!!! on these older Ecotec engines I strongly recommend
changing your oil every 3,000 miles. I believe the brochure says longer or
wait for the Oil Life Monitor to come on, but the early Ecotec engines like
to have clean oil to keep the timing chain lubricated. You can go with Mobil
1 Synth, but don't go any longer than 5,000 if you do. I know it sounds
excessive, but it will help keep the engine lasting longer. Your last 2
chapters of your Owners Manual will show you any additional maintenance if
you want.

--
marx404
<all gmail posts blocked>

Old January 19th 09, 11:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Okay, thanks for your responses! I have made it a habit to change oil
every 3000 miles or 3 months with all my vehicles, so that is fine
with me! That's cool to know this is a real low maintenance vehicle!

As for checking the tranny from time to time, if it is the VTi tranny,
will I have to flush sooner than 150000 miles.. or just make sure it
is kept full? Thanks again!
Old January 21st 09, 01:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

no, the fluid is good for 150K, no worries about that. Just have it checked
every oil change when you bring it in, IF you have the VTi (belt driven)
transmission. Other than that, no worries!

--
marx404
<all gmail posts blocked>
> wrote in message
> Okay, thanks for your responses! I have made it a habit to change oil
> every 3000 miles or 3 months with all my vehicles, so that is fine
> with me! That's cool to know this is a real low maintenance vehicle!
>
> As for checking the tranny from time to time, if it is the VTi tranny,
> will I have to flush sooner than 150000 miles.. or just make sure it
> is kept full? Thanks again!

What's a tune up? Don Stauffer in Minnesota Technology 5 July 19th 08 07:08 PM
anyone in STL that could help tune my SB? barnhart_pinball VW air cooled 7 June 28th 08 05:18 AM
90K Tune Up [email protected] Honda 1 July 17th 07 01:27 AM
40k mile tune up Brian[_8_] Audi 8 September 27th 06 05:37 PM
96 XLT tune-up Randy Pavatte Ford Explorer 2 August 4th 05 07:13 PM