cooling and a/c fans

Old November 26th 08, 09:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default cooling and a/c fans

hi all i have a 97p registerd voyager which is overheating the fans
are not working but i can hear a clicking noise coming from them as
though they are going to start. any help would be great all the fuses
are ok not sure about the relays is there an easy way off checking if
they are still ok thanks tim the a/c fan doesn't come on as well
thanks again
Old November 26th 08, 12:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

wrote:
> hi all i have a 97p registerd voyager which is overheating the fans
> are not working but i can hear a clicking noise coming from them as
> though they are going to start. any help would be great all the fuses
> are ok not sure about the relays is there an easy way off checking if
> they are still ok thanks tim the a/c fan doesn't come on as well
> thanks again

You say it's overheating the fans? (sorry - just my way of jabbing you
for not using capitalization and punctuation - shows you don't have
respect for your reader's time or effort that they have to put out to
decipher your coded message when you're asking them to help you)

The clicking may be the relays operating properly trying to run the
fans. Good chance the fan motors are bad - either the bearings/bushings
are shot or they have electrical issues. Beyond that, a multimeter and
schematics would be good for troubleshooting the electrical system
(relays, wiring, etc.) driving the fans. But again, my first suspicion
is that the fan motors are locked up or hard to turn.

Do you know if the temperature stays normal if you're driving at speed
(40-55 mph)? That would be a sign that the overheating is only due to
the fans not running and not other problems in the cooling system
contributing to the overheating (vehicle motion takes over for the fans
to move air thru the radiator).

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old November 26th 08, 12:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Bill Putney wrote:
> wrote:
>> hi all i have a 97p registerd voyager which is overheating the fans
>> are not working but i can hear a clicking noise coming from them as
>> though they are going to start. any help would be great all the fuses
>> are ok not sure about the relays is there an easy way off checking if
>> they are still ok thanks tim the a/c fan doesn't come on as well
>> thanks again

> You say it's overheating the fans? (sorry - just my way of jabbing you
> for not using capitalization and punctuation - shows you don't have
> respect for your reader's time or effort that they have to put out to
> decipher your coded message when you're asking them to help you)
>
> The clicking may be the relays operating properly trying to run the
> fans. Good chance the fan motors are bad - either the bearings/bushings
> are shot or they have electrical issues. Beyond that, a multimeter and
> schematics would be good for troubleshooting the electrical system
> (relays, wiring, etc.) driving the fans. But again, my first suspicion
> is that the fan motors are locked up or hard to turn.
>
> Do you know if the temperature stays normal if you're driving at speed
> (40-55 mph)? That would be a sign that the overheating is only due to
> the fans not running and not other problems in the cooling system
> contributing to the overheating (vehicle motion takes over for the fans
> to move air thru the radiator).

Oh - also, there may be a common ground wire on the fans - check that
that is intact.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')

cooling and a/c fans [email protected] Chrysler 0 November 14th 08 10:25 AM
LHS Cooling Fans Hank NB Chrysler 22 November 19th 05 03:45 AM
Chrysler LHS Cooling Fans Hank NB Technology 2 November 11th 05 12:05 AM
Neon cooling fans Robbie and Laura Reynolds Chrysler 11 November 8th 05 01:55 AM
LHS Cooling system fans Hank NB Chrysler 2 November 3rd 05 05:08 PM