1991 Buick Park Avenue AC problem

Old September 29th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 1991 Buick Park Avenue AC problem

Hi all,
The AC on my 91 Buick Park Avenue shuts down after about 30 seconds. I
have
to reset the HVAC (hold down OFF and WARM) to get it going again. When
it shuts
off, it automatically switches to the ECON mode, where you get no cold
air.

What could cause this? The system is full of freon (converted to R-134
last year).

Thanks,
Tony

Old September 29th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Shep

The sytsem will switch to econ if the ac pressure sensors see incorrect
pressures for low or no freon in the system, have that checked also.
oups.com...

Old October 1st 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
earnhardt31

Need to see if cmpressor is shutting off when it quits. If it does its
probably building up to much high side pressure.May have to replace orfice
tube. Need to put gauges on and take plug off cycling switch located on
side of dryer and use cotter pin to short the switch. Compressor will run
and you can see how far high and low side are going.

Old October 18th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
TonyZ

earnhardt31 wrote:
> Need to see if cmpressor is shutting off when it quits. If it does its
> probably building up to much high side pressure.May have to replace orfice
> tube. Need to put gauges on and take plug off cycling switch located on
> side of dryer and use cotter pin to short the switch. Compressor will run
> and you can see how far high and low side are going.

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I got sidetracked.

Once the system switches to ECON, the compressor clutch never comes
on again. I'll check the pressures. Good idea. Thanks.
Tony