newbie just got his first Bug

Old January 17th 05, 09:58 PM
Animal

Default newbie just got his first Bug

Hello people,

I have just obtained my first Bug. On the positive side, the machine was
free. On the negative side its in pieces, has no seat, and the
dismounted engine and transaxel have quite a bit of rust on them.

I've worked on motorcycles and done routine maintenance on my various
cars, but this will be the first time I've actually needed to tear
everything apart and rebuild it from scratch. I've purchased "How to
keep your VW alive" and the Hayes manual, plus I've just ordered all the
'special' tools from one of the online companies (no free publicity
until I see what they're like.)

The vehicle body is a '73 but I have no idea if its a Super Beetle or
not. How can I tell? (If this is in a FAQ, I'll be happy to STFU if you
point me to it.)

The other mystery is that the engine serial number begins with a "1" and
all the other numbers are too faint to see. I'll hopefully be able to
clean enough gunk off the generator pillar to see the number better next
weekend. From what I can find, though, engine numbers beginning with "1"
are pre-1960. This would indicate that it ain't a 1600. Anyone have an
idea on what capacity it could be?

I plan on rebuilding this "on the cheap"; keeping whatever
engine/transaxel that's in the box and rebuilding them myself if
possible. I'd like to avoid buying new ones.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Animal
Old January 17th 05, 10:18 PM
Dennis Wik

The Super has a strut type front suspension.

href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
1977 Puma</a>

Old January 18th 05, 01:10 AM
Mike C.

In the words of the wise Han Solo..."Good Luck...you're gonna need it."

Welcome aboard. Nice of you to stop by.

ervers.com...

Old January 18th 05, 07:05 AM
Karls Vladimir Peña

"Animal" > wrote in message
ervers.com...
> The vehicle body is a '73 but I have no idea if its a Super Beetle or not.
> How can I tell? (If this is in a FAQ, I'll be happy to STFU if you point
> me to it.)

Supers have strus front suspension. Also, the 73 super has a curved
windshield. To check if it's a super, just open your trunk, if the spare
tire lies flat, you got a super, if not, it's a standard.

> The other mystery is that the engine serial number begins with a "1" and
> all the other numbers are too faint to see. I'll hopefully be able to
> clean enough gunk off the generator pillar to see the number better next
> weekend. From what I can find, though, engine numbers beginning with "1"
> are pre-1960. This would indicate that it ain't a 1600. Anyone have an
> idea on what capacity it could be?

Clear the gunk first. Also, you may have a dual or single port engine, you
might want to check that out.

> Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Patience my friend (for your wife, she will soon want to kill you).

Old January 18th 05, 10:29 AM
Kidd Andersson

>I have just obtained my first Bug.

Congrats!

>On the positive side, the machine was
>free.

Definitely a plus.

>On the negative side its in pieces, has no seat, and the
>dismounted engine and transaxel have quite a bit of rust on them.

You'll want to invest in some wire brushes, Liquid Wrench, good laundry
detergent, hand cleaner, large cases of alcohol and be sure you have a good
health insurance plan that covers mental illness.

>I've purchased "How to
>keep your VW alive" and the Hayes manual, plus I've just ordered all the
>'special' tools from one of the online companies (no free publicity
>until I see what they're like.)

Good start. There are a myriad of websites floating around here amongst members
that are also as helpful if not more so than the books. And nothing is better
than personal experience.

>The vehicle body is a '73 but I have no idea if its a Super Beetle or
>not. How can I tell?

Look behind the front tire. If it's a Super, you'll see the big ass springs.
Super's have MacPherson struts.
The curved windshield is not always a good indicator, because they weren't
introduced until 73' (your year). So if it has a standard windshield, it's a 71
or 72 but I don't think you were questioning that.

>From what I can find, though, engine numbers beginning with "1"
> are pre-1960. This would indicate that it ain't a 1600. Anyone have an
>idea on what capacity it could be?

I'm pretty sure anything pre-66 is a 1200cc and a 6 volt. 12 volt started in
67. BUT I could be wrong. Why anyone would put a dinosaur like that into a 73
Super is beyond me though.

>I plan on rebuilding this "on the cheap"

HAHA! lmao Yeah... Good luck with that!

Anyway, plop us in your favorites. There's so much experience (not mine)
floating around here it's not even funny. If you need anything, just ask.
Chances are *someone* will have an answer.

Good luck!

Kidd

John C's proof: http://hometown.aol.com/littlevwgoddess/page5.html
Old January 18th 05, 12:41 PM
Karls Vladimir Peña

"Kidd Andersson" > wrote in message
> I'm pretty sure anything pre-66 is a 1200cc and a 6 volt. 12 volt started
> in
> 67. BUT I could be wrong. Why anyone would put a dinosaur like that into a
> 73
> Super is beyond me though.

There's a 75 super beetle oval driving around here lately, The owner changed
the rear glass, fenders, headlights, taillights, bumpers, drums, well just
about everything to make his super look like an oval. Maybe he just hasn't
found a flat windshield to finish his job.

I'll post some pics if I can manage to take them.

Old January 18th 05, 05:10 PM
Joao Eliseu

>Maybe he just hasn't found a flat windshield to finish his job.

LOL

Joao
Old January 19th 05, 02:11 AM
Eduardo K.

In article rs.com>,
Animal > wrote:
>Hello people,
>
>I have just obtained my first Bug. On the positive side, the machine was
>free. On the negative side its in pieces, has no seat, and the
>dismounted engine and transaxel have quite a bit of rust on them.

for encouragement. I bought a bug for US$80 a year ago,
and got it running and inspected for around US$500.

I then sold it for Us$550

http://e.nn.cl/Fotos/Autos/HuevoII/

--
Eduardo K. |
http://e.nn.cl | for nothing left to lose.

Old January 19th 05, 05:03 AM
Charles Fregeau

"Animal" > wrote in message
ervers.com...
> Hello people,
>
> I have just obtained my first Bug. On the positive side, the machine was
> free. On the negative side its in pieces, has no seat, and the dismounted
> engine and transaxel have quite a bit of rust on them.
>
> I've worked on motorcycles and done routine maintenance on my various
> cars, but this will be the first time I've actually needed to tear
> everything apart and rebuild it from scratch. I've purchased "How to keep
> your VW alive" and the Hayes manual, plus I've just ordered all the
> 'special' tools from one of the online companies (no free publicity until
> I see what they're like.)
>
> The vehicle body is a '73 but I have no idea if its a Super Beetle or not.
> How can I tell? (If this is in a FAQ, I'll be happy to STFU if you point
> me to it.)
>
> The other mystery is that the engine serial number begins with a "1" and
> all the other numbers are too faint to see. I'll hopefully be able to
> clean enough gunk off the generator pillar to see the number better next
> weekend. From what I can find, though, engine numbers beginning with "1"
> are pre-1960. This would indicate that it ain't a 1600. Anyone have an
> idea on what capacity it could be?
>
> I plan on rebuilding this "on the cheap"; keeping whatever
> engine/transaxel that's in the box and rebuilding them myself if possible.
> I'd like to avoid buying new ones.
>
> Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Animal

Do you have a VIN for it? 113-2xxxxxx = 73 Beetle, and if I remember
correctly 153-2xxxxxx = Super for that year. If it's not inside of the
windshield on the driver's side, you could be having some problems getting
it titled when you get it together.

Charles of Kankakee

Old January 19th 05, 06:11 AM
Animal

Animal wrote:
> Hello people,
>
> I have just obtained my first Bug. On the positive side, the machine was free
>{snip all the previous stuff}

Thanks, everyone. The update is that it's not a Super, the driver-side
door sticker says Oct 73, and the engine is a rusted out 1200.

I'm thinking that it would be cheaper to get a junker, but complete and
running, Bug instead of buying a new power train.

Thanks again,
Animal