Towing an '02 Tacoma 4x4 w/ manual trans.

Old December 12th 04, 02:01 AM
stubbs

Default Towing an '02 Tacoma 4x4 w/ manual trans.

Does anyone know if I can safely tow a 02 Tacoma 4x4 w/ manual tranny? What
do I need to do to tow it safely? Wee planning to tow it behind our
motorhome with all 4 wheels on the ground.
Thanks for any help.

Old December 12th 04, 04:16 AM
Bruce Burden

stubbs > wrote:
: Does anyone know if I can safely tow a 02 Tacoma 4x4 w/ manual tranny? What
: do I need to do to tow it safely? Wee planning to tow it behind our
: motorhome with all 4 wheels on the ground.
:
I'd consult the use manual first. However, since mine
is not handy, I checked toyota.com, and the FAQ says "NO",
just like the Capital One(?) advertisement.

Bruce
"I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
- Thuganlitha
The Power and the Prophet
Robert Don Hughes

Old December 12th 04, 06:28 AM
Joseph Myers

Your 02 is basically the same as my 99, and I have towed mine for many
thousands of miles without a problem. I have the Roadmaster all
terrain Stowmaster set up and it installed very easily, all you do is
remove you tow hooks and the tow brackets bolt right on in place of
them, it unhithches and stows in a couple of minutes. I also installed
the SMI silent partner brake control in the Taco, with that, all you
have to do is flip off the power switch.
Note: If you do tow and have not done it before, be sure and make up a
pre tow check list and follow it to the letter. Mine reads something
like this: Hitch secure and locked, safety cables on, break away
switch connected, emerg. brake in Toad off, transfer case in neutral,
transmission in neutral, hubs unlocked steering unlocked, brake
control energized. Happy towing.

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 20:01:00 -0500, "stubbs"

Old December 12th 04, 08:30 PM
Roger Brown

Joseph Myers wrote:

> Your 02 is basically the same as my 99, and I have towed mine for many
> thousands of miles without a problem. I have the Roadmaster all
> terrain Stowmaster set up and it installed very easily, all you do is
> remove you tow hooks and the tow brackets bolt right on in place of
> them, it unhithches and stows in a couple of minutes. I also installed
> the SMI silent partner brake control in the Taco, with that, all you
> have to do is flip off the power switch.
> Note: If you do tow and have not done it before, be sure and make up a
> pre tow check list and follow it to the letter. Mine reads something
> like this: Hitch secure and locked, safety cables on, break away
> switch connected, emerg. brake in Toad off, transfer case in neutral,
> transmission in neutral, hubs unlocked steering unlocked, brake
> control energized. Happy towing.
>
> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 20:01:00 -0500, "stubbs"
> > wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know if I can safely tow a 02 Tacoma 4x4 w/ manual tranny? What
> >do I need to do to tow it safely? Wee planning to tow it behind our
> >motorhome with all 4 wheels on the ground.
> > Thanks for any help.

My '85 Owner's manual lists tranny in neutral and t-case in 2H. The part time
t-cases in the Toyotas lack a true neutral (in stock form) with the "N"
position in between 4H and 4L. With the t-case in "N", you have the front and
rear driveshafts connected through the t-case, so t-case in 2H leaves the front
driveshaft disconnected. The better option is to unbolt the rear driveshaft at
the rear axle and tie it up out of the way.

--
Roger
Old December 13th 04, 02:04 AM
stubbs

Thank you Joseph. I am going to use a Roadmaster tow bar with the hidden
brackects. I just am so worried as to the many different responses, but I
do trust you as you are doing it. It is ok, even though the rear driveline
is not disconnected? People have told me that the drive line spins the
trans. out put shaft and bearing.And oil will not lube the upper bearing?
I dont know. Anyway, thanks for the response.
Steve

re-posting manual trans question 93 325i Chris D'Agnolo BMW 0 November 26th 04 04:18 AM
Tacoma towing lights stubbs 4x4 4 November 21st 04 02:00 AM
Shop manual price Black Bomb Corvette 1 August 11th 04 03:27 PM
Workshop manual Spider series 4 Alfaspider Alfa Romeo 0 June 17th 04 10:27 PM
F.S in UK. Audi 100 & A6 Haynes Manual 1991-1997 Models Petrol & Diesel joe landy Audi 0 June 14th 04 06:33 PM