1999 Honda Civic Oxygen Sensor

Old April 23rd 06, 05:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 1999 Honda Civic Oxygen Sensor

Hello all. Recently my Civic was taken in for Diagnostic because the
check engine light came on. The Honda Dealer told me it was the
secondary Oxy Sensor that needed replacing. They wanted $480.00 for
the parts/labor (Ouch!). I decided instead to buy the replacement part
at NAPA and did the job myself. After completing the job the check
engine light went out for five minutes then came back on.

I then took it to the Dealer and they reset the cars computer and the
light went back out again for five minutes. They did this twice and
told me I must have gotten a bad part from NAPA. I exchanged the part
with NAPA, reinstalled it, and still have the same problem.

Should I take it to the dealer and try to have them reset it again?
Has anyone else had this problem and if so what's the fix. Thanks for
your help.

Old April 23rd 06, 07:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

50 wrote:
> Hello all. Recently my Civic was taken in for Diagnostic because the
> check engine light came on. The Honda Dealer told me it was the
> secondary Oxy Sensor that needed replacing. They wanted $480.00 for

yeah. thats the expensive one. the primary is about $220 at the dealer.

> the parts/labor (Ouch!). I decided instead to buy the replacement part
> at NAPA and did the job myself. After completing the job the check
> engine light went out for five minutes then came back on.
>
> I then took it to the Dealer and they reset the cars computer and the
> light went back out again for five minutes. They did this twice and
> told me I must have gotten a bad part from NAPA. I exchanged the part
> with NAPA, reinstalled it, and still have the same problem.

i sure hope the dealers giving you the right code.

Old April 23rd 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

50 wrote:

> Hello all. Recently my Civic was taken in for Diagnostic because the
> check engine light came on. The Honda Dealer told me it was the
> secondary Oxy Sensor that needed replacing. They wanted $480.00 for
> the parts/labor (Ouch!). I decided instead to buy the replacement part
> at NAPA and did the job myself. After completing the job the check
> engine light went out for five minutes then came back on.

Dealers!
Good thing you didn't pay $500 for nothing!

> I then took it to the Dealer and they reset the cars computer and the
> light went back out again for five minutes. They did this twice and
> told me I must have gotten a bad part from NAPA. I exchanged the part
> with NAPA, reinstalled it, and still have the same problem.
>
> Should I take it to the dealer and try to have them reset it again?
> Has anyone else had this problem and if so what's the fix. Thanks for
> your help.

Many auto parts stores (dunnow 'bout Napa - ask!) will rent you an OBD
code reader, or read the codes for free in the parking lot. (It's a 2
minute job.)

Check the lead wires near the O2 sensor. I don't know about the Civic
in particular, but in general the O2 wires are in a hot, harh area and
can get beat up.

Did the O2 wiring connector connector go on right? Check both plugs for
grease, oil, goop, etc.

-Greg

--
"Stop throwing the Constitution in my face, it’s just a goddamned piece
of paper!" - George W. Bush.
Old April 23rd 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

50 wrote:

> Hello all. Recently my Civic was taken in for Diagnostic because the
> check engine light came on. The Honda Dealer told me it was the
> secondary Oxy Sensor that needed replacing. They wanted $480.00 for
> the parts/labor (Ouch!). I decided instead to buy the replacement part
> at NAPA and did the job myself. After completing the job the check
> engine light went out for five minutes then came back on.
>
> I then took it to the Dealer and they reset the cars computer and the
> light went back out again for five minutes. They did this twice and
> told me I must have gotten a bad part from NAPA. I exchanged the part
> with NAPA, reinstalled it, and still have the same problem.
>
> Should I take it to the dealer and try to have them reset it again?
> Has anyone else had this problem and if so what's the fix. Thanks for
> your help.

------------------------------------

You have to tell us the -CODES-, not the interpretation. All is
speculation otherwise.

Did you look at this chart for your part numbers?
http://www.ngksparkplugs.ca/

Go to the 'Parts Finder' and you'll find the numbers. The NTK is the
part to use, never BOSCH. The primary one is $93 in Canada at NAPA, the
secondary is $254, but the universal is $139, at least for my CR-V.

See why your CODES are so important?

'Curly'
Old April 25th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"50" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Hello all. Recently my Civic was taken in for Diagnostic because the
> check engine light came on. The Honda Dealer told me it was the
> secondary Oxy Sensor that needed replacing. They wanted $480.00 for
> the parts/labor (Ouch!). I decided instead to buy the replacement part
> at NAPA and did the job myself. After completing the job the check
> engine light went out for five minutes then came back on.
>
> I then took it to the Dealer and they reset the cars computer and the
> light went back out again for five minutes. They did this twice and
> told me I must have gotten a bad part from NAPA. I exchanged the part
> with NAPA, reinstalled it, and still have the same problem.
>
> Should I take it to the dealer and try to have them reset it again?
> Has anyone else had this problem and if so what's the fix. Thanks for
> your help.

You MUST record and report the exact error code numbers.

are about a dozen error codes that can involve the secondary oxygen sensor.

If the same error keeps recurring in spite of several sensor replacements,
than there's something else wrong, like a cracked exhaust manifold or
misrouted wiring.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ