Locking the hubs

Old February 12th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default Locking the hubs

My boyfriend has just inherited a 1990's Jeep Sahara and I am about to
take it out to a friends house that really does need 4wd for about the
last half mile or so. I can walk it if I can't figure it out, but I was
wondering if someone would explain to a complete newbie without a
manual how I engage the 4wd and lock the hubs? I have done some
research online and have some small idea of how to do it, but there is
nothing as to actually WHERE or what mechanism I use to engage the 4wd
(I assume it is the lever on the gear shift?) and where I unlock the
hubs?

Apologies from the ignorant...

Old February 12th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

if it has manual hubs they are on the front wheel, it should be a
little cone shaped object coming out of the center of the wheel, you
can turn the hubs there, thats if they are manual, with a sahara i
think that they are, but if not then its automatic locking hubs, then
all you have to do is pull the shifter back to 4low or 4high and it
will be engaged, if its all working right that is

Old February 13th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

If it is a 90's Jeep, the hubs are automatic unless someone has swapped
them.

If they have been swapped for the older style, there will be a bar in
the center of the front hubs that you just turn.

It is a part time system that can only be used on snow or dirt covered
roads, never on bare pavement or something will break.

4x4 high range is the first pull on the second gear shift lever and can
be shifted just like any other shift at any legal speed. If I see a
snow patch coming on the highway, I just shift into 4x4 and keep on
going, get back to clear roads and shift back to 2 wheel drive.

4 low is different. You have to be just rolling about 2 mph to shift
into that and even then expect a little grinding crunch as it shifts.
It is only for crawl speeds.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Manual locking hubs? Dan Hoskin Jeep 9 December 18th 05 11:30 PM
Automatic Locking Hubs andrecastertroy Ford Explorer 1 December 12th 05 07:43 PM
Looking for locking hubs... OldNAPCO 4x4 0 October 20th 05 10:16 PM
f350 ford auto locking hubs dan 4x4 7 January 8th 05 04:19 PM
Opinion? Superwinch Manual Locking hubs blokemn 4x4 0 December 27th 04 08:11 PM