Trickle Charging a C7 battery

Old December 30th 13, 10:56 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Smarty

Default Trickle Charging a C7 battery

Having owned C5 and C6 convertibles which have been stored for the
winter, I have become accustomed to using a trickle charger directly
connected to the battery for many years. The rest of the car has been
disconnected and only the trickle charger has been connected to the battery.

The new C7 battery is no longer under the hood. It is in the trunk, and
not as easily to disconnect and trickle charge.

My question:

Can I trickle charge via the cigarette lighter socket or another
auxiliary power 12 V socket which the car also provides? Or do I have to
get into the trunk, remove the trunk lining, and then connect directly
across the battery as I have previously done for the last 15 years on my
C5 and C6?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old December 31st 13, 06:09 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Unquestionably Confused

On 12/30/2013 3:56 PM, Smarty wrote:
> Having owned C5 and C6 convertibles which have been stored for the
> winter, I have become accustomed to using a trickle charger directly
> connected to the battery for many years. The rest of the car has been
> disconnected and only the trickle charger has been connected to the
> battery.
>
> The new C7 battery is no longer under the hood. It is in the trunk, and
> not as easily to disconnect and trickle charge.
>
> My question:
>
> Can I trickle charge via the cigarette lighter socket or another
> auxiliary power 12 V socket which the car also provides? Or do I have to
> get into the trunk, remove the trunk lining, and then connect directly
> across the battery as I have previously done for the last 15 years on my
> C5 and C6?
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

Turn off the car, open door, remove ignition key. Plug something into
the accessory socket. If it works, you can trickle charge via that
outlet. If it's dead, so are you hopes of trickle charging in that manner.

Most of the trickle chargers available these days (battery maintainers)
have both battery clips as well as a plug and socket. Why not just
connect a lightweight cable and plug to the battery? Summer months,
leave the plug capped and cable stowed next to battery. Connect it to
the maintainer cable in the winter. That's how I do it with my C5 and
formerly did it with my C4.

Old January 1st 14, 02:24 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Smarty

> On 12/30/2013 3:56 PM, Smarty wrote:
>> Having owned C5 and C6 convertibles which have been stored for the
>> winter, I have become accustomed to using a trickle charger directly
>> connected to the battery for many years. The rest of the car has been
>> disconnected and only the trickle charger has been connected to the
>> battery.
>>
>> The new C7 battery is no longer under the hood. It is in the trunk, and
>> not as easily to disconnect and trickle charge.
>>
>> My question:
>>
>> Can I trickle charge via the cigarette lighter socket or another
>> auxiliary power 12 V socket which the car also provides? Or do I have to
>> get into the trunk, remove the trunk lining, and then connect directly
>> across the battery as I have previously done for the last 15 years on my
>> C5 and C6?
>>
>> Any advice would be appreciated.

> Turn off the car, open door, remove ignition key. Plug something into
> the accessory socket. If it works, you can trickle charge via that
> outlet. If it's dead, so are you hopes of trickle charging in that
> manner.
>
> Most of the trickle chargers available these days (battery
> maintainers) have both battery clips as well as a plug and socket.
> Why not just connect a lightweight cable and plug to the battery?
> Summer months, leave the plug capped and cable stowed next to
> battery. Connect it to the maintainer cable in the winter. That's
> how I do it with my C5 and formerly did it with my C4.

Thank you for the helpful advice. I was concerned that the 12 volt
sockets had diodes or some other method to prevent a current source to
drive them rather than use them as a source of current. I also worried
that the modern technique of disabling a power port when the key is off
may, as you have indicated, disable the port after the engine is shut down.

I like the idea of a direct connection to the battery, and indeed did
that very same thing on both my C5 and C6. In both cases, however, I did
not make such an attachment when the car was in the warranty period. I
merely opened the hood and used the alligator clips / connectors
directly to the battery.

With the C7 battery concealed under trunk carpeting, this does not
appear to be an option, although I may actually find it to be easier
than I think. I have not pulled up the trunk carpet to really research
this carefully, and felt my "best" option for the warranty period would
be to use one of the 12 volt sockets.

The C7 actually has a 12V port in the trunk, and perhaps this one will
stay alive after the engine is off. I intend to test this as soon as the
trickle charger and accessory cigarette plug cord arrive.

Thank you very much again.

Old January 1st 14, 04:29 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Rufus

Smarty wrote:
> On 12/31/2013 12:09 AM, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
>> On 12/30/2013 3:56 PM, Smarty wrote:
>>> Having owned C5 and C6 convertibles which have been stored for the
>>> winter, I have become accustomed to using a trickle charger directly
>>> connected to the battery for many years. The rest of the car has been
>>> disconnected and only the trickle charger has been connected to the
>>> battery.
>>>
>>> The new C7 battery is no longer under the hood. It is in the trunk, and
>>> not as easily to disconnect and trickle charge.
>>>
>>> My question:
>>>
>>> Can I trickle charge via the cigarette lighter socket or another
>>> auxiliary power 12 V socket which the car also provides? Or do I have to
>>> get into the trunk, remove the trunk lining, and then connect directly
>>> across the battery as I have previously done for the last 15 years on my
>>> C5 and C6?
>>>
>>> Any advice would be appreciated.

>> Turn off the car, open door, remove ignition key. Plug something into
>> the accessory socket. If it works, you can trickle charge via that
>> outlet. If it's dead, so are you hopes of trickle charging in that
>> manner.
>>
>> Most of the trickle chargers available these days (battery
>> maintainers) have both battery clips as well as a plug and socket. Why
>> not just connect a lightweight cable and plug to the battery? Summer
>> months, leave the plug capped and cable stowed next to battery.
>> Connect it to the maintainer cable in the winter. That's how I do it
>> with my C5 and formerly did it with my C4.

> Thank you for the helpful advice. I was concerned that the 12 volt
> sockets had diodes or some other method to prevent a current source to
> drive them rather than use them as a source of current. I also worried
> that the modern technique of disabling a power port when the key is off
> may, as you have indicated, disable the port after the engine is shut down.
>
> I like the idea of a direct connection to the battery, and indeed did
> that very same thing on both my C5 and C6. In both cases, however, I did
> not make such an attachment when the car was in the warranty period. I
> merely opened the hood and used the alligator clips / connectors
> directly to the battery.
>
> With the C7 battery concealed under trunk carpeting, this does not
> appear to be an option, although I may actually find it to be easier
> than I think. I have not pulled up the trunk carpet to really research
> this carefully, and felt my "best" option for the warranty period would
> be to use one of the 12 volt sockets.
>
> The C7 actually has a 12V port in the trunk, and perhaps this one will
> stay alive after the engine is off. I intend to test this as soon as the
> trickle charger and accessory cigarette plug cord arrive.
>
> Thank you very much again.

....your C7 has a key?

--
- Rufus
Old January 3rd 14, 03:18 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Smarty

On 12/31/2013 10:29 PM, Rufus wrote:
> Smarty wrote:

>>> Turn off the car, open door, remove ignition key. Plug something into
>>> the accessory socket. If it works, you can trickle charge via that
>>> outlet. If it's dead, so are you hopes of trickle charging in that
>>> manner.
>>>
>>> Most of the trickle chargers available these days (battery
>>> maintainers) have both battery clips as well as a plug and socket. Why
>>> not just connect a lightweight cable and plug to the battery? Summer
>>> months, leave the plug capped and cable stowed next to battery.
>>> Connect it to the maintainer cable in the winter. That's how I do it
>>> with my C5 and formerly did it with my C4.

>> Thank you for the helpful advice. I was concerned that the 12 volt
>> sockets had diodes or some other method to prevent a current source to
>> drive them rather than use them as a source of current. I also worried
>> that the modern technique of disabling a power port when the key is off
>> may, as you have indicated, disable the port after the engine is shut
>> down.
>>
>> I like the idea of a direct connection to the battery, and indeed did
>> that very same thing on both my C5 and C6. In both cases, however, I did
>> not make such an attachment when the car was in the warranty period. I
>> merely opened the hood and used the alligator clips / connectors
>> directly to the battery.
>>
>> With the C7 battery concealed under trunk carpeting, this does not
>> appear to be an option, although I may actually find it to be easier
>> than I think. I have not pulled up the trunk carpet to really research
>> this carefully, and felt my "best" option for the warranty period would
>> be to use one of the 12 volt sockets.
>>
>> The C7 actually has a 12V port in the trunk, and perhaps this one will
>> stay alive after the engine is off. I intend to test this as soon as the
>> trickle charger and accessory cigarette plug cord arrive.
>>
>> Thank you very much again.
>>

> ...your C7 has a key?

Similar to the C6 and C5, in having a fob used as a remote control as
well as a key. The only difference in the C7 is that the key is hidden
inside the fob, and can be extracted by a simple motion. In the older C6
and C5, the key was a separate item and was not designed to be stowed
inside the fob..

Old January 3rd 14, 09:03 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Rufus

Smarty wrote:
> On 12/31/2013 10:29 PM, Rufus wrote:
>> Smarty wrote:

>> ...your C7 has a key?

> Similar to the C6 and C5, in having a fob used as a remote control as
> well as a key. The only difference in the C7 is that the key is hidden
> inside the fob, and can be extracted by a simple motion. In the older C6
> and C5, the key was a separate item and was not designed to be stowed
> inside the fob..

My '08 Z06 key stores inside the fob...hopefully I'll never have to use
it. Though I have had the fob battery die on me once - now I keep a
spare in the box.

I haven't seen a C7 up close, but it sounds like they put the battery in
the C7 in the same location as on my Z06 - right rear? Difference being
that mine is in what was/is a storage compartment with a lid in an
standards C6, and the hinged lid is still there and provides easy access
to the battery. So how are you supposed to change the thing?

But I should think that the ability to charge it would be similar to
being able to do the same on my Z06 - check with a tech.

--
- Rufus
Old January 3rd 14, 11:30 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Smarty

On 1/3/2014 3:03 PM, Rufus wrote:
> Smarty wrote:
>>>
>>> ...your C7 has a key?

>> Similar to the C6 and C5, in having a fob used as a remote control as
>> well as a key. The only difference in the C7 is that the key is hidden
>> inside the fob, and can be extracted by a simple motion. In the older C6
>> and C5, the key was a separate item and was not designed to be stowed
>> inside the fob..
>>

> My '08 Z06 key stores inside the fob...hopefully I'll never have to
> use it. Though I have had the fob battery die on me once - now I keep
> a spare in the box.
>
> I haven't seen a C7 up close, but it sounds like they put the battery
> in the C7 in the same location as on my Z06 - right rear? Difference
> being that mine is in what was/is a storage compartment with a lid in
> an standards C6, and the hinged lid is still there and provides easy
> access to the battery. So how are you supposed to change the thing?
>
> But I should think that the ability to charge it would be similar to
> being able to do the same on my Z06 - check with a tech.

I confirmed that the trunk-mounted accessory outlet does indeed support
trickle charging, and the dealership's owner has a C7 apparently which
is being charged in this manner. Thus I do not have a need to remove any
carpeting or trim nor do I need to physically see the battery.

Should I have a dead battery and need a quick jump start, then the issue
of battery access will become a bit more difficult.

The C7 battery supposedly is in the rear passenger side area of the
trunk. My C6 convertible had a compartment there as well as one on the
left side. In the C7 convertible there is only one compartment, located
on the left. The area of trunk on the rear right where I was told the
battery is located has a flap of upholstered hardboard / cardboard which
supposedly can be lifted and temporarily moved to expose the battery.

I did not realize that the Z06 fob was different. Neither my C5 or C6
fobs can store the key, although I have seen / owned other fobs
(Porsche, Acura, Lexus) which use this internal design which now shows
up on the C7.

Old January 3rd 14, 11:41 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Rufus

Smarty wrote:
> On 1/3/2014 3:03 PM, Rufus wrote:
>> Smarty wrote:

>>> Similar to the C6 and C5, in having a fob used as a remote control as
>>> well as a key. The only difference in the C7 is that the key is hidden
>>> inside the fob, and can be extracted by a simple motion. In the older C6
>>> and C5, the key was a separate item and was not designed to be stowed
>>> inside the fob..
>>>

>> My '08 Z06 key stores inside the fob...hopefully I'll never have to
>> use it. Though I have had the fob battery die on me once - now I keep
>> a spare in the box.
>>
>> I haven't seen a C7 up close, but it sounds like they put the battery
>> in the C7 in the same location as on my Z06 - right rear? Difference
>> being that mine is in what was/is a storage compartment with a lid in
>> an standards C6, and the hinged lid is still there and provides easy
>> access to the battery. So how are you supposed to change the thing?
>>
>> But I should think that the ability to charge it would be similar to
>> being able to do the same on my Z06 - check with a tech.
>>

> I confirmed that the trunk-mounted accessory outlet does indeed support
> trickle charging, and the dealership's owner has a C7 apparently which
> is being charged in this manner. Thus I do not have a need to remove any
> carpeting or trim nor do I need to physically see the battery.
>
> Should I have a dead battery and need a quick jump start, then the issue
> of battery access will become a bit more difficult.
>
> The C7 battery supposedly is in the rear passenger side area of the
> trunk. My C6 convertible had a compartment there as well as one on the
> left side. In the C7 convertible there is only one compartment, located
> on the left. The area of trunk on the rear right where I was told the
> battery is located has a flap of upholstered hardboard / cardboard which
> supposedly can be lifted and temporarily moved to expose the battery.
>
> I did not realize that the Z06 fob was different. Neither my C5 or C6
> fobs can store the key, although I have seen / owned other fobs
> (Porsche, Acura, Lexus) which use this internal design which now shows
> up on the C7.

I still have a compartment on the left side, and that's where I store my
tire inflator, fault code reader, etc. Don't have a trunk mounted
accessory outlet though...just the one in the center console. I think
my battery terminal connections have quick releases that you can undo by
hand...I haven't looked under there in a while. You may want to ask if
that trunk connector might also support jump starting somehow.

I think I've heard of people buying later fobs with key storage as an
"upgrade" for older C6's without that, but I'm not sure you can do that
for all of them - my key is integrated into the end cap of the fob.

--
- Rufus
Old January 4th 14, 04:51 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Steve[_65_]

On or about Fri, 03 Jan 2014 17:30:28 -0500, Smarty
> wrote or did cause to be written:

>I did not realize that the Z06 fob was different. Neither my C5 or C6
>fobs can store the key, although I have seen / owned other fobs
>(Porsche, Acura, Lexus) which use this internal design which now shows
>up on the C7.

All 2005-2007 C6's had an external key. All 2008-2013 C6's had an
internal key. The 2007 user's manual showed the new FOB design with
the internal key but GM had issues with it so they stayed with the
external key through the entire '07 model year.

I prefer the external key detached and kept safely at home. You almost
never need it and the last thing you want when you do manage to lock
the FOB inside the car is for the key to be there also.
Old January 4th 14, 09:15 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Rufus

Steve wrote:
> On or about Fri, 03 Jan 2014 17:30:28 -0500, Smarty
> > wrote or did cause to be written:

>> I did not realize that the Z06 fob was different. Neither my C5 or C6
>> fobs can store the key, although I have seen / owned other fobs
>> (Porsche, Acura, Lexus) which use this internal design which now shows
>> up on the C7.
>>

> All 2005-2007 C6's had an external key. All 2008-2013 C6's had an
> internal key. The 2007 user's manual showed the new FOB design with
> the internal key but GM had issues with it so they stayed with the
> external key through the entire '07 model year.
>
> I prefer the external key detached and kept safely at home. You almost
> never need it and the last thing you want when you do manage to lock
> the FOB inside the car is for the key to be there also.

....I REALLY needed it when my fob battery died on me during a trip to
Las Vegas. I would never even think of leaving my key at home after
that, and my fob is always in a pocket when I drive the car; I treat it
like any other key. One of the gals in my office that has an '06 C6
didn't even realize she had a key...now she carries it.

There's also a way to program a warning if you close both doors and a
fob (or multiples) are still in the car; the horn will sound and the
driver's door will remain unlocked until you come back and remove at
least one of them. That's how I set up my Z06, so it's not even
possible to lock a fob inside it. As long as the fob battery is alive,
I guess...

--
- Rufus

Charging a battery Dennis[_2_] Technology 14 August 27th 07 08:33 PM
Trickle Charging? Frank M. Corvette 22 October 30th 06 09:54 PM
To trickle or Not Trickle! please help a battery noobie with a 12v Gel battery question rutman Technology 29 May 5th 05 10:38 PM
Battery Charging tech27 BMW 65 December 1st 04 03:08 AM
Is an Onboard Trickle Charger useful for a Car Battery.. Denny B General 0 February 7th 04 06:28 AM