TFrog, RIP

Old January 17th 13, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Debbie

Default TFrog, RIP

On 1/17/2013 3:17 PM, John S. wrote:
> On Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:30:49 PM UTC, Debbie wrote:
>

>> You could always have the Focus tweaked a bit:
>>
>> http://shelbyamerican.com/newshome.asp?article=97
>>

>> Designed in the Shelby skunkworks and tested extensively at Las Vegas
>>
>> Motor Speedway, the front wheel drive Shelby Focus ST is a
>>
>> driver-focused masterpiece of performance with a budget minded price.

> Yeah, all of us on the ST forums are getting a good laugh out of the Shelby ST... $15K for basically a few appearance mods... yeah, budget-minded... LOL!

I got quite a kick out of the budget minded, also!
Old January 19th 13, 01:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
fasnsto

"Debbie" > wrote in message
> On 1/17/2013 3:17 PM, John S. wrote:
>> On Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:30:49 PM UTC, Debbie wrote:
>>

>>> You could always have the Focus tweaked a bit:
>>>
>>> http://shelbyamerican.com/newshome.asp?article=97
>>>

>>> Designed in the Shelby skunkworks and tested extensively at Las Vegas
>>>
>>> Motor Speedway, the front wheel drive Shelby Focus ST is a
>>>
>>> driver-focused masterpiece of performance with a budget minded price.

>> Yeah, all of us on the ST forums are getting a good laugh out of the
>> Shelby ST... $15K for basically a few appearance mods... yeah,
>> budget-minded... LOL!
>>

> I got quite a kick out of the budget minded, also!

guess they wax the car to go faster (?)

anyhow like to see what happens with 600 HP in a Focus,
just stuffing the motor in would flat all the tires

Old January 19th 13, 06:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
A Guy Named Steve

On Sunday, January 13, 2013 7:13:35 AM UTC-8, dwight wrote:
> A note, to anyone who remembers, that I am now out of the Mustang world. For
>
> one of the rare moments in my adult life, I am without a Mustang.
>
> dwight
>
> www.tfrog.com/tfrog - the next generation

It's been over 10 years since I last owned a Mustang (New NoOp for those that remember), and I've been looking for just the right one ever since. I don't know if I'll find it, but it wouldn't be my primary car any longer. And considering my daily driver has had 8000 miles/yr since I bought it 3 years ago, a second car wouldn't rack up many either.

But I'm always still looking.

Steve
Had a 71 GS455 and a few 5.0 Notches
Old January 19th 13, 04:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_5_]

> "A Guy Named Steve" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, January 13, 2013 7:13:35 AM UTC-8, dwight wrote:
> > A note, to anyone who remembers, that I am now out of the Mustang world.
> > For
> >
> > one of the rare moments in my adult life, I am without a Mustang.
> >
> > dwight
> >
> > www.tfrog.com/tfrog - the next generation

> It's been over 10 years since I last owned a Mustang (New NoOp for those
> that remember),
> and I've been looking for just the right one ever since. I don't know if
> I'll find it, but it wouldn't
> be my primary car any longer. And considering my daily driver has had 8000
> miles/yr since
> I bought it 3 years ago, a second car wouldn't rack up many either.
>
> But I'm always still looking.
>
> Steve
> Had a 71 GS455 and a few 5.0 Notches

Hey, Steve.

This Focus amounts to a "clean break" from a string of six different
Mustangs. Like I've said, I haven't had a new car to myself since 1993, my
history says that I keep cars too long, and I'm now rebooting my automotive
environment.

Don't want another older car. Don't want another pre-owned car. Don't really
want another second car. You know me - I don't wrench. Not allowed to pick
up power tools. I tend to break things.

Didn't want to be the guy who bought a 2011 Fusion (if you know what I
mean). The new Fusion is gorgeous, by the way. Tried to get my wife into
one, but she decided to go Focus, herself. Damn. Didn't want a 2013 Mustang,
when an all-new Mustang will be out shortly.

I find that I really like having a new car. I also find that I really,
really prefer a V8 and rear wheel drive - the Fast and Furious thing just
isn't me. But I'll drive this Focus for three years, sock away all of the
bucks I would have been spending on repairs and maintenance (and GAS), and
then pick out a new Mustang when the complete redesign comes out. I'll be 61
years old at that point, so I doubt I'll be holding onto the next Mustang
for 19 years!

Also, while the standard lease allows for 10,500 miles/year, I'm paying a
bit more for 18,000/year. And I'm pretty much on track. My wife's Focus
("the nice one") has 12,000/year, and she won't even be close to that. Any
time we need to take a road trip, we'll be taking her car.

Meanwhile, I've just added my second modification to the new car - black,
carpeted floor mats with the Focus logo. I have to check to make sure that
doesn't void my warranty. They don't add any horsepower, but sometimes mods
aren't just about speed. Besides, I've already put new wheels on the thing,
so the performance mod has already been done.

dwight

Old January 19th 13, 08:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
J1MBO ...

That would bring a tear to a glass eye ........

Old January 22nd 13, 01:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

On Sunday, January 13, 2013 9:13:35 AM UTC-6, dwight wrote:

> A note, to anyone who remembers, that I am now out of the Mustang world. For
>
> one of the rare moments in my adult life, I am without a Mustang.
>

> Both of my '93 5.0s have been in maintenance mode for the last 10 years or
>
> so. I really didn't want to sink a lot of money into either one, but tried
>
> to keep them in decent enough running condition to meet my requirements.

> Lately, the frequency of calls for tow trucks has accelerated (I have two
>
> different tow truck operators on speed dial), as old parts continued to
>
> fail. In fact, I was having replacement parts replaced.
>

> CFrog, the GT convertible, went into the shop for another fuel pump
>
> replacement. Meanwhile, the right side tailpipe fell off of TFrog, the LX
>
> hatch. When I was crawling underneath to try and wedge the tailpipe into a
>
> drivable position, I saw cancer - a good bit of rust in spots I never
>
> normally look at. For the first time, both Mustangs were in the shop at the
>
> same time.
>

> There had been days when I asked myself why I was hanging onto these cars.
>
> Normally, as soon as I got one back from the shop, I knew full well why I
>
> kept them. Especially TFrog, with its 5-speed manual, the car that never
>
> failed to make me grin. But the long, slow decline made me go in a
>
> completely different direction.
>

> On November 10, 2012, I dumped BOTH Mustangs at the local Ford dealership
>
> and picked up a 2013 Focus S sedan. Some would say that I took a beating on
>
> the trade-ins, I would say that I instantly saved a boatload of money.

Can't say I blame you. At some point either you go into full restoration mode or you cut your losses. Your decision was easy -- you need to use the car on a daily basis, so you cut your losses and bought new.

> There were three overriding factors in killing off the Mustangs:
>
> 1. Winter was coming, and any snow usually meant that the Mustangs stayed
>
> home.
>
> 2. Gas was $3.75/gallon. When it was $2.00 or maybe even $3.00, my 17mpg
>
> wasn't a problem.
>
> 3. Money was needed for both Mustangs, probably more than the book value of
>
> either. I could no longer justify the expense.

> After two months, this new Focus has given me a lifetime average of 30mpg.
>
> And, even though I have a clean driving record, I had been paying a V8
>
> penalty in auto insurance for the Mustangs. With the savings at the pump and
>
> the savings on insurance, the Focus amounts to a "free car." Also, it's a
>
> three-year lease*, which means no repair bills, no tow trucks, and I
>
> probably don't have to worry about tires or brakes (until possibly the third
>
> year).

> For Patrick - I wanted a black Focus, base model, no options. The dealership
>
> actually had two, but both had one option - Ford SYNC. I took one, anyway.
>
> Immediately, I had to modify - the car came with 15" wheels and plastic
>
> wheel covers; I ordered a set of actual wheels to replace them (even though
>
> it's a lease, I couldn't live with plastic wheel covers). The car has no
>
> cruise control (an option), and although it has power windows up front, it
>
> has window cranks in the back.

I would have done the same with the wheels, and needless to say the [lack of] options.

> I'm in a whole new world. The torque steer of the FWD at launch threw me, at
>
> first, but I'm getting used to it. Instead of the raw power and push of the
>
> RWD V8, this Focus drives very "European," very tight and assured. The
>
> 5-speed manual is... uh... "cute," a short-throw and precise shifter, and a
>
> clutch pedal that takes almost no effort (my left leg may atrophy). The car
>
> red-lines at 7K. First gear doesn't have much punch, but second gear makes
>
> up for it when the revs top 4K. Unlike the 5.0 (1700RPM at 70mph in 5th
>
> gear), the Focus really doesn't like to go much over 65mph, although I've
>
> had it at 90mph many times (and watched the mpg drop). It could use a 6th
>
> gear. My only complaint, really, is that the dashboard has two display
>
> screens - one showing MPG and trip meters, the other for the SYNC system,
>
> and I find no way to turn either one off.

SYNC, from what I've read, is out of sync. As for the Focus, it's a sharp car. I like it! I want to test drive an ST version, perhaps with my son when he visits again.

> I can see why the Focus is now the best-selling car in the U.S., and a
>
> leader globally. It is a well-built, fun to drive automobile. And, while
>
> I've driven many cars since, this is the first new car built since 1993 that
>
> is mine, all mine. Two months in, and I'm still getting used to that. It's
>
> still weird when I open the garage door and see a Focus sitting there.

I found it odd too to be out of the Fox world. But, life goes on.

> I have to point out that my wife, having had three successive leased
>
> Escapes, traded in her 2010 Escape for a 2013 Focus SE (with all the
>
> trimmings) at the end of October. Playing with her SE helped make my
>
> decision easier. The only change I would make today is in the wheels - where
>
> she has the 17" wheel/tire combo, my base model sedan has 15" (my John Deere
>
> has bigger tires) wheels with general "touring" tires. I don't want to
>
> spring for a new wheel/tire combo on a leased car, but I'm trying to burn up
>
> those tires, so I can order a somewhat better performance set.

Or, one day when she's not paying attention, swap her wheels and tires onto yours. <grin>

> Absolutely, there are many times that I really miss my 5.0s. In this case, I
>
> think I made the right decision. I'm taking three years off with some
>
> carefree driving. When I leave work and walk to my car, I no longer have to
>
> wonder whether it will start. I haven't yet deleted those tow truck numbers
>
> from my cellphone, but I sincerely doubt that I'll ever need them.
>

> * Three year lease? Yep. I was really considering a V6 Mustang, not a Focus.
>
> Problem is, I would want to BUY that V6, then I'd bond with it, then I'd
>
> want to keep it for the next 20 years. That's my history. But I'm looking
>
> ahead to 2014 1/2 with great anticipation! I'm hoping that Ford really does
>
> put out an all-new Mustang, dropping the whole retro thing, a Mustang that
>
> looks forward, not back. I have a hunch that I'm really really really going
>
> to want to get back into a Mustang at that point.

Not a bad plan.

You know I'm locked into the S197 for the next couple decades, it'll be nice if you pick up a new one -- you can give us/me a full report.

Patrick

Old January 22nd 13, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

On 1/13/2013 9:13 AM, dwight wrote:
> I'm in a whole new world. The torque steer of the FWD at launch threw
> me, at first, but I'm getting used to it. Instead of the raw power and
> push of the RWD V8, this Focus drives very "European," very tight and
> assured. The 5-speed manual is... uh... "cute," a short-throw and
> precise shifter, and a clutch pedal that takes almost no effort (my left
> leg may atrophy). The car red-lines at 7K. First gear doesn't have much
> punch, but second gear makes up for it when the revs top 4K. Unlike the
> 5.0 (1700RPM at 70mph in 5th gear), the Focus really doesn't like to go
> much over 65mph, although I've had it at 90mph many times (and watched
> the mpg drop). It could use a 6th gear. My only complaint, really, is
> that the dashboard has two display screens - one showing MPG and trip
> meters, the other for the SYNC system, and I find no way to turn either
> one off.

Ooo, I didn't realize when you got that you had traded both
Mustangs. Eeek. Torque steer, you havn't lived until you've tried to
keep a 426CID Eldorado with loose joints in between the lines while
nailing it from a sitting position. Heh. I'll also note the tire thing
may come around sooner than you think. I've had FWD cars before and with
combining the turning and power on the same set of tires it tends to
make those two wear quicker. More so driving like you do...

Old January 22nd 13, 01:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

On 1/16/2013 5:12 AM, John S. wrote:
>> I have no illusions or delusions about the Focus - it is what it is. But
>>
>> after seeing what Ford has done with the Focus and the Fusion, I am really
>>
>> looking forward to the next generation Mustang.
>>

>> dwight

> My friends at MRT built up a 2013 2.0 Ecoboost Fusion for SEMA this year. Love the looks of the new Fusion! What a fantastic car!
>
> And hear you on the "renting". Sounds like an ideal situation for you. And yes, eager to see what 2015 brings!

A friend of mine does a company thing and he just got a new one. I
thought it looked very Astin Martin-ish from the front.
Old January 22nd 13, 01:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

On 1/17/2013 2:42 PM, Debbie wrote:
> On 1/17/2013 3:17 PM, John S. wrote:
>> On Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:30:49 PM UTC, Debbie wrote:
>>

>>> You could always have the Focus tweaked a bit:
>>>
>>> http://shelbyamerican.com/newshome.asp?article=97
>>>

>>> Designed in the Shelby skunkworks and tested extensively at Las Vegas
>>>
>>> Motor Speedway, the front wheel drive Shelby Focus ST is a
>>>
>>> driver-focused masterpiece of performance with a budget minded price.

>> Yeah, all of us on the ST forums are getting a good laugh out of the
>> Shelby ST... $15K for basically a few appearance mods... yeah,
>> budget-minded... LOL!
>>

> I got quite a kick out of the budget minded, also!

Think I'd rather have a Ken Block modified myself...

RIP Roemax Driving 2 June 17th 10 03:54 PM
RIP [email protected] Saturn 6 October 25th 09 07:57 PM
Rip-off? Harry K Driving 17 October 13th 09 03:55 PM
Hey TFROG and anybody else have this problem ? Suggib Ford Mustang 0 September 1st 09 10:18 PM