Mustang V6s...

Old September 25th 12, 12:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
XS11E[_1_]

Default Mustang V6s...

I'm investigating the possibility of a used Mustang and I'm looking for
information on reliability and serviceability of various V6s used. I
know there was the 3.8, 4.0, 3.7 etc. is there one to avoid? One to
prefer?

NOTE: I'll probably look for a V8 but there seems to be a bunch of V6s
available for reasonable prices.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old September 25th 12, 05:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
twk

In article >,
XS11E > wrote:

> I'm investigating the possibility of a used Mustang and I'm looking for
> information on reliability and serviceability of various V6s used. I
> know there was the 3.8, 4.0, 3.7 etc. is there one to avoid? One to
> prefer?
>
> NOTE: I'll probably look for a V8 but there seems to be a bunch of V6s
> available for reasonable prices.

I have an '09, v6, auto, convertible. Silver, black top. I love it.
Plenty of power in stock form. It has 74,500 miles already!

Serviceability is great/easy.

I looked as long as I could for a 5 speed but the few I found all seemed
beat to death. I settled for the auto and it's the best auto trans I've
ever owned, and I'm keeping it.

Added a few mods, an SCT X3/SF3 Power Flash tuner, dual exhaust, JLT
cold air intake, and... Seems like something else significant that I
can't remember.

The car feels so much stronger now! Not sure about the actual power, but
I'm happy because each mod gave me a better seat-of-the-pants feel! What
more do I need?

Also added the sequential turn signals, a chin spoiler, GT style spoiler
(black) to replace the low profile spoiler that was from the factory,
and black tail light trim.

Soon to add 3.73 gears... I keep telling myself that.
Soon to paint, blackout, the space between the tail lights.

Fun to drive, not to pricy to personalize.

--
For all you know this message was...
Sent via an exclusive network, on a snobby portable computing device.
Old September 25th 12, 04:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
XS11E[_1_]

twk > wrote:

> I have an '09, v6, auto, convertible. Silver, black top. I love
> it. Plenty of power in stock form. It has 74,500 miles already!
>
> Serviceability is great/easy.

Thanks for the information, '09 is probably way beyone my budget, I'm
considering mostly '86 - '93 as I like the looks of the Fox bodied car,
the prices are within my budget (although it's hard to find a clean
one!)

> I looked as long as I could for a 5 speed but the few I found all
> seemed beat to death. I settled for the auto and it's the best
> auto trans I've ever owned, and I'm keeping it.

I'm considering automatic ONLY! I'm looking for a semi-sporty
convertible to replace my Mazda Miata which is a stick and my arthritic
knees, hips, back, etc. have notified me that a clutch is no longer an
posibility. I got the Miata as I found an almost brand new 1985
Mustang convertible in 1905 and was unable to work the clutch. Several
people said I should look at a Miata as the clutch is very light
so..... I've very much enjoyed the little critter for 7 years of fun
driving but it's not fun anymore, I notice I don't shift smoothly now
and it's fairly painful to drive it for any length of time....

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old September 26th 12, 08:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
RichA

On Sep 24, 7:42*pm, XS11E > wrote:
> I'm investigating the possibility of a used Mustang and I'm looking for
> information on reliability and serviceability of various V6s used. *I
> know there was the 3.8, 4.0, 3.7 etc. is there one to avoid? *One to
> prefer?
>
> NOTE: I'll probably look for a V8 but there seems to be a bunch of V6s
> available for reasonable prices.

> The Usenet Improvement Project:http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/

Avoid anything V8, pre-1999 with an auto trans.
Old September 27th 12, 01:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
XS11E[_1_]

RichA > wrote:

> On Sep 24, 7:42*pm, XS11E > wrote:
>> I'm investigating the possibility of a used Mustang and I'm
>> looking for information on reliability and serviceability of
>> various V6s used. *I know there was the 3.8, 4.0, 3.7 etc. is
>> there one to avoid? *One to prefer?
>>
>> NOTE: I'll probably look for a V8 but there seems to be a bunch
>> of V6s available for reasonable prices.
>>
>> --
>> XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
>> The Usenet Improvement
>> Project:http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/

> Avoid anything V8, pre-1999 with an auto trans.

Why? They're rated pretty good on reliability? My budget determined
I'lll probably be looking at pre-1999, 1986-1993 is my preferred range
based on price and that I like the look of the Fox bodied Mustangs much
better than the later models.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old October 1st 12, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
XS11E[_1_]

RichA > wrote:

> On Sep 24, 7:42*pm, XS11E > wrote:
>> I'm investigating the possibility of a used Mustang and I'm
>> looking for information on reliability and serviceability of
>> various V6s used. *I know there was the 3.8, 4.0, 3.7 etc. is
>> there one to avoid? *One to prefer?
>>
>> NOTE: I'll probably look for a V8 but there seems to be a bunch
>> of V6s available for reasonable prices.
>>
>> --
>> XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
>> The Usenet Improvement
>> Project:http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/

> Avoid anything V8, pre-1999 with an auto trans.

I'd really like to know why you'd say that? If you have some knowledge
about problems I'd like to hear about them rather than find out the
hard way! <G>

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old October 24th 12, 11:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
jod beans

"XS11E" > wrote in message
> RichA > wrote:
>
>> On Sep 24, 7:42 pm, XS11E > wrote:
>>> I'm investigating the possibility of a used Mustang and I'm
>>> looking for information on reliability and serviceability of
>>> various V6s used. I know there was the 3.8, 4.0, 3.7 etc. is
>>> there one to avoid? One to prefer?
>>>
>>> NOTE: I'll probably look for a V8 but there seems to be a bunch
>>> of V6s available for reasonable prices.
>>>
>>> --
>>> XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
>>> The Usenet Improvement
>>> Project:http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/

>> Avoid anything V8, pre-1999 with an auto trans.

> Why? They're rated pretty good on reliability? My budget determined
> I'lll probably be looking at pre-1999, 1986-1993 is my preferred range
> based on price and that I like the look of the Fox bodied Mustangs much
> better than the later models.

8 cyl 90, 91, 92, 93 are great. manual transmission.

Old October 25th 12, 01:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
XS11E[_1_]

"jod beans" > wrote:

> 8 cyl 90, 91, 92, 93 are great. manual transmission.

Not possible, read my original post. It MUST be an automatic.

If I could manage a clutch I'd never consider giving up my Miata, it
does what I want, it's fun to drive and it's paid for!

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old October 25th 12, 05:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

On 10/24/2012 17:15, jod beans wrote:

>>> Avoid anything V8, pre-1999 with an auto trans.

>> Why? They're rated pretty good on reliability? My budget determined
>> I'lll probably be looking at pre-1999, 1986-1993 is my preferred range
>> based on price and that I like the look of the Fox bodied Mustangs much
>> better than the later models.

> 8 cyl 90, 91, 92, 93 are great. manual transmission.

1989 Mustang owners club on line two...
Old October 25th 12, 05:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

On 10/24/2012 19:39, XS11E wrote:
> "jod beans" > wrote:
>
>> 8 cyl 90, 91, 92, 93 are great. manual transmission.

> Not possible, read my original post. It MUST be an automatic.
>
> If I could manage a clutch I'd never consider giving up my Miata, it
> does what I want, it's fun to drive and it's paid for!

Nothing wrong with an AODE, Dee-White has one.