99 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 weird overheating problem

Old August 25th 08, 06:46 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default 99 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 weird overheating problem

I love my Jeep. I've had it since I drove it off the lot new. That
was 140k miles ago, and it still looks and runs nearly the same as my
first trip...Except

The last few months it has been running hot once in awhile. It is
generally on very hot and humid days, but in the past it handled them
fine.

I suspected the thermostat, so I replaced it and the housing, power
flushed the cooling system (it needed it). It seemed to do the trick,
but then again it cooled off outside so probably was a coincidence.
It happened again.

I checked the fan clutch and it seems fine, I cleared out the radiator
fins, checked tightness of the S-belt. All good. I am thinking maybe
it is the sending unit, because the way it overheats is very odd.

It will go up to 210 and just sit there like it is supposed to. When
it overheats, it doesn't just gradually increase, it snaps up to just
under the red line and the "Check Gauges" light comes on. Then a
couple minutes later it will snap back down to 210. Then a bit later
it will snap back up again to under the red and then snap back down.

No noises or noticable changes in performance. I was wondering if
this is some kind of computer symptom of something else overheating,
but I can't find anything on it anywhere.

Any ideas?

Old August 25th 08, 11:24 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
PeterD

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:46:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>I love my Jeep. I've had it since I drove it off the lot new. That
>was 140k miles ago, and it still looks and runs nearly the same as my
>first trip...Except
>
>The last few months it has been running hot once in awhile. It is
>generally on very hot and humid days, but in the past it handled them
>fine.
>
>I suspected the thermostat, so I replaced it and the housing, power
>flushed the cooling system (it needed it). It seemed to do the trick,
>but then again it cooled off outside so probably was a coincidence.
>It happened again.
>
>I checked the fan clutch and it seems fine, I cleared out the radiator
>fins, checked tightness of the S-belt. All good. I am thinking maybe
>it is the sending unit, because the way it overheats is very odd.
>
>It will go up to 210 and just sit there like it is supposed to. When
>it overheats, it doesn't just gradually increase, it snaps up to just
>under the red line and the "Check Gauges" light comes on. Then a
>couple minutes later it will snap back down to 210. Then a bit later
>it will snap back up again to under the red and then snap back down.
>
>No noises or noticable changes in performance. I was wondering if
>this is some kind of computer symptom of something else overheating,
>but I can't find anything on it anywhere.
>
>Any ideas?

Like, try a different gauge? This sounds electrical to me.
Old August 26th 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Andy

On Aug 25, 10:46*am, wrote:
> I love my Jeep. *I've had it since I drove it off the lot new. *That
> was 140k miles ago, and it still looks and runs nearly the same as my
> first trip...Except
>
> The last few months it has been running hot once in awhile. *It is
> generally on very hot and humid days, but in the past it handled them
> fine.
>
> I suspected the thermostat, so I replaced it and the housing, power
> flushed the cooling system (it needed it). *It seemed to do the trick,
> but then again it cooled off outside so probably was a coincidence.
> It happened again.
>
> I checked the fan clutch and it seems fine, I cleared out the radiator
> fins, checked tightness of the S-belt. *All good. *I am thinking maybe
> it is the sending unit, because the way it overheats is very odd.
>
> It will go up to 210 and just sit there like it is supposed to. *When
> it overheats, it doesn't just gradually increase, it snaps up to just
> under the red line and the "Check Gauges" light comes on. *Then a
> couple minutes later it will snap back down to 210. *Then a bit later
> it will snap back up again to under the red and then snap back down.
>
> No noises or noticable changes in performance. *I was wondering if
> this is some kind of computer symptom of something else overheating,
> but I can't find anything on it anywhere.
>
> Any ideas?

Hey J,

I had a similar concern with my 200 Jeep Wrangler and I
subscribed to ALLDATAdiy.com and it has been very useful. I am handy
and like to do things myself and this subscription gives me diagnosis,
repair, TBSs, recalls and labor times. I hope you find it useful -
it's pretty cheap considering the information comes directly from the
manufacturer.

Check it out - I copied the link below for you.

http://traffic.alldatadiy.com/cgi-bi...0-o4010-c66365

Andy Deil
Old September 9th 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Mike Romain

On Aug 25, 1:46*pm, wrote:
> I love my Jeep. *I've had it since I drove it off the lot new. *That
> was 140k miles ago, and it still looks and runs nearly the same as my
> first trip...Except
>
> The last few months it has been running hot once in awhile. *It is
> generally on very hot and humid days, but in the past it handled them
> fine.
>
> I suspected the thermostat, so I replaced it and the housing, power
> flushed the cooling system (it needed it). *It seemed to do the trick,
> but then again it cooled off outside so probably was a coincidence.
> It happened again.
>
> I checked the fan clutch and it seems fine, I cleared out the radiator
> fins, checked tightness of the S-belt. *All good. *I am thinking maybe
> it is the sending unit, because the way it overheats is very odd.
>
> It will go up to 210 and just sit there like it is supposed to. *When
> it overheats, it doesn't just gradually increase, it snaps up to just
> under the red line and the "Check Gauges" light comes on. *Then a
> couple minutes later it will snap back down to 210. *Then a bit later
> it will snap back up again to under the red and then snap back down.
>
> No noises or noticable changes in performance. *I was wondering if
> this is some kind of computer symptom of something else overheating,
> but I can't find anything on it anywhere.
>
> Any ideas?

I think a loose connection on the sender can act like that, you might
want to give it a clean to see. It is on the back top corner of the
head. I think the gauge pins hot with no connection, but could be
wrong.

Mike
'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build
Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com
Old October 3rd 08, 09:37 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

On Aug 25, 10:46*am, wrote:
> I love my Jeep. *I've had it since I drove it off the lot new. *That
> was 140k miles ago, and it still looks and runs nearly the same as my
> first trip...Except
>
> The last few months it has been running hot once in awhile. *It is
> generally on very hot and humid days, but in the past it handled them
> fine.
>
> I suspected the thermostat, so I replaced it and the housing, power
> flushed the cooling system (it needed it). *It seemed to do the trick,
> but then again it cooled off outside so probably was a coincidence.
> It happened again.
>
> I checked the fan clutch and it seems fine, I cleared out the radiator
> fins, checked tightness of the S-belt. *All good. *I am thinking maybe
> it is the sending unit, because the way it overheats is very odd.
>
> It will go up to 210 and just sit there like it is supposed to. *When
> it overheats, it doesn't just gradually increase, it snaps up to just
> under the red line and the "Check Gauges" light comes on. *Then a
> couple minutes later it will snap back down to 210. *Then a bit later
> it will snap back up again to under the red and then snap back down.
>
> No noises or noticable changes in performance. *I was wondering if
> this is some kind of computer symptom of something else overheating,
> but I can't find anything on it anywhere.
>
> Any ideas?

did u ever find out what was wrong with your jeep? I have a similar
Problem with my 2000 jeep.. Please let me
Know ....