Newby Needs Advice

Old January 31st 08, 03:14 AM posted to rec.autos.antique

Default Newby Needs Advice

Howdy, I confess I'm completely new to this NG, so I apologize if I
should be looking in a FAQ somewhere for this info. But I find myself
needing it rather suddenly. So any help would be greatly appreciated.
I suddenly find myself needing to dispose of my father's car. Not the
one he drove, the one he hasn't even started up in 35 years, but can't
bear to part with. It's a 1946 Chrysler Windsor. It's been sitting in a
garage since 1973. Obviously, it would need major restoration to be
drivable, but OTOH, it's in pretty good shape for not having had any care
in so long.
So Question One: What would be the best way to go about putting this
car on the market? Magazine ads? Web site? Something else?
And just for fun, would anyone like to hazard a wild-eyed,
shot-in-the-dark, ballpark what the beast might be worth? Hundreds?
Thousands? Whatever scrap iron is bringing this week?

Many thanks,
Bill

|Real e-mail: , minus the letters w/ tails.|
Old January 31st 08, 04:47 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
George Patterson

wrote:
> Howdy, I confess I'm completely new to this NG, so I apologize if I
> should be looking in a FAQ somewhere for this info. But I find myself
> needing it rather suddenly. So any help would be greatly appreciated.
> I suddenly find myself needing to dispose of my father's car. Not the
> one he drove, the one he hasn't even started up in 35 years, but can't
> bear to part with. It's a 1946 Chrysler Windsor. It's been sitting in a
> garage since 1973. Obviously, it would need major restoration to be
> drivable, but OTOH, it's in pretty good shape for not having had any care
> in so long.
> So Question One: What would be the best way to go about putting this
> car on the market? Magazine ads? Web site? Something else?
> And just for fun, would anyone like to hazard a wild-eyed,
> shot-in-the-dark, ballpark what the beast might be worth? Hundreds?
> Thousands? Whatever scrap iron is bringing this week?

Can't tell you a very good price on the car, but a '46 anything will be in the
thousands if it's complete without rust damage. That was the first model year
since 1941 for just about any American car.

Hemmings Motor News is the premium place to sell antique autos. Ebay is
typically where you go when you run out of options.

George Patterson
Worry doesn't improve the future; it just ruins the present.
Old January 31st 08, 06:58 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
Stude

On Jan 30, 7:47*pm, George Patterson > wrote:
> wrote:
> > * *Howdy, I confess I'm completely new to this NG, so I apologize if I
> > should be looking in a FAQ somewhere for this info. *But I find myself
> > needing it rather suddenly. *So any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > * *I suddenly find myself needing to dispose of my father's car. *Not the
> > one he drove, the one he hasn't even started up in 35 years, but can't
> > bear to part with. *It's a 1946 Chrysler Windsor. *It's been sitting in a
> > garage since 1973. *Obviously, it would need major restoration to be
> > drivable, but OTOH, it's in pretty good shape for not having had any care
> > in so long.
> > * *So Question One: *What would be the best way to go about putting this
> > car on the market? *Magazine ads? *Web site? *Something else?
> > * *And just for fun, would anyone like to hazard a wild-eyed,
> > shot-in-the-dark, ballpark what the beast might be worth? *Hundreds? *
> > Thousands? *Whatever scrap iron is bringing this week?

> Can't tell you a very good price on the car, but a '46 anything will be in the
> thousands if it's complete without rust damage. That was the first model year
> since 1941 for just about any American car.
>
> Hemmings Motor News is the premium place to sell antique autos. Ebay is
> typically where you go when you run out of options.
>
> George Patterson
> * * *Worry doesn't improve the future; it just ruins the present.

There is the WPC Club that specalizes in car makes associated with
Walter P Chrysler. I'm sure that het have a web site, amybe even a
News Group like this.

Try contacting them. There may be a Chjapter in your area.
Old January 31st 08, 02:15 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Otto Skorzeny[_2_]

Hello Frumious Bandersnatch,

(my favorite poem of all time, btw)

Below is a website for antique car prices. Be sure to navigate the
site to understand the rating system used to determine the overall
condition of the vehicle. There is an explanation page on the site.
Since you don't say what body style it is I couldn't hazard a guess.
Convertibles and coupes are worth much more than 4 door sedans. The
more information you have (options, special features, etc) the more
accurate the estimate will be. You might also pick up a copy of the
latest Old Car Price Guide from the local bookstore.

You might also try looking in the phone book for antique car
appraisers. Hemmings Motor News is a good place to see what similar
cars are selling for. I would try to sell it locally first with an ad
in the paper or a sign in the window in front of your house. You don't
say where you live but there are enthusiasts in every corner of the
globe.No need to pay for a nationwide ad if the guy down the road
wants to buy it.

If that doesn't work, then I'd try Hemmings. They have an online
version of the magazine as well.

If you have any pictures of the car I'd be interested in seeing it.

http://www.collectorcarmarket.com/menus/makes.htm

Good Luck,

Forrest

Old January 31st 08, 10:38 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Duncan Craig

"George Patterson" > wrote in message
> wrote:
>> Howdy, I confess I'm completely new to this NG, so I apologize if I
>> should be looking in a FAQ somewhere for this info. But I find myself
>> needing it rather suddenly. So any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> I suddenly find myself needing to dispose of my father's car. Not the
>> one he drove, the one he hasn't even started up in 35 years, but can't
>> bear to part with. It's a 1946 Chrysler Windsor. It's been sitting in a
>> garage since 1973. Obviously, it would need major restoration to be
>> drivable, but OTOH, it's in pretty good shape for not having had any care
>> in so long.
>> So Question One: What would be the best way to go about putting this
>> car on the market? Magazine ads? Web site? Something else?
>> And just for fun, would anyone like to hazard a wild-eyed,
>> shot-in-the-dark, ballpark what the beast might be worth? Hundreds?
>> Thousands? Whatever scrap iron is bringing this week?

> Can't tell you a very good price on the car, but a '46 anything will be in
> the thousands if it's complete without rust damage. That was the first
> model year since 1941 for just about any American car.
>
> Hemmings Motor News is the premium place to sell antique autos. Ebay is
> typically where you go when you run out of options.
>
> George Patterson
> Worry doesn't improve the future; it just ruins the present.

Ah, but if you want to maximize exposure for a minimal investment, I
recommend EBay.

Old February 1st 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
the heekster

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 03:47:59 GMT, George Patterson

>> Howdy, I confess I'm completely new to this NG, so I apologize if I
>> should be looking in a FAQ somewhere for this info. But I find myself
>> needing it rather suddenly. So any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> I suddenly find myself needing to dispose of my father's car. Not the
>> one he drove, the one he hasn't even started up in 35 years, but can't
>> bear to part with. It's a 1946 Chrysler Windsor. It's been sitting in a
>> garage since 1973. Obviously, it would need major restoration to be
>> drivable, but OTOH, it's in pretty good shape for not having had any care
>> in so long.
>> So Question One: What would be the best way to go about putting this
>> car on the market? Magazine ads? Web site? Something else?
>> And just for fun, would anyone like to hazard a wild-eyed,
>> shot-in-the-dark, ballpark what the beast might be worth? Hundreds?
>> Thousands? Whatever scrap iron is bringing this week?

>Can't tell you a very good price on the car, but a '46 anything will be in the
>thousands if it's complete without rust damage. That was the first model year
>since 1941 for just about any American car.

You mean 1942. A short model year, but definitely real.
Old February 2nd 08, 03:14 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
Nate Nagel[_2_]

wrote:

>>> Howdy, I confess I'm completely new to this NG, so I apologize if I
>>>should be looking in a FAQ somewhere for this info. But I find myself
>>>needing it rather suddenly. So any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>> I suddenly find myself needing to dispose of my father's car. Not the
>>>one he drove, the one he hasn't even started up in 35 years, but can't
>>>bear to part with. It's a 1946 Chrysler Windsor. It's been sitting in a
>>>garage since 1973. Obviously, it would need major restoration to be
>>>drivable, but OTOH, it's in pretty good shape for not having had any care
>>>in so long.
>>> So Question One: What would be the best way to go about putting this
>>>car on the market? Magazine ads? Web site? Something else?
>>> And just for fun, would anyone like to hazard a wild-eyed,
>>>shot-in-the-dark, ballpark what the beast might be worth? Hundreds?
>>>Thousands? Whatever scrap iron is bringing this week?

>>Can't tell you a very good price on the car, but a '46 anything will be in
>>the thousands if it's complete without rust damage. That was the first
>>model year since 1941 for just about any American car.
>>
>>Hemmings Motor News is the premium place to sell antique autos. Ebay is
>>typically where you go when you run out of options.
>>
>>George Patterson
>> Worry doesn't improve the future; it just ruins the present.

> Ah, but if you want to maximize exposure for a minimal investment, I
> recommend EBay.

and try to get it running first. Unless it was parked with known
mechanical issues. Running at least well enough to drive onto a car
carrier is a big plus, as shipping will be much cheaper than if it is
completely inop.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old February 28th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Rocco Toma

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...e=STRK:MESE:IT

GPS/Sat Nav advice Rick Hunter General 0 May 6th 07 08:12 AM
Need Advice [email protected] Technology 5 January 6th 07 02:28 AM
Thanks for the advice! mothboy@the_flame.com BMW 1 June 20th 06 04:09 PM
Air Con Advice Please???? Paul Woodsford Alfa Romeo 10 July 1st 05 07:15 PM
Newby questions! XS11E Mazda 13 March 2nd 05 03:02 AM