priming carburetor - better way?

Old January 31st 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
Jim Beaver

Default priming carburetor - better way?

My 57 Chevy's been sitting a while and won't start, so I figure the carb
needs priming, as it was in fine shape before. Is there a better way than
just pouring gas down its throat? I suspect in the many years since I last
primed a carburetor that something has come along to improve or make safer
the process, either a product or technique. Suggestions?

Jim Beaver

Old January 31st 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Otto Skorzeny[_2_]

How long has it been sitting?

If it's been close to a year or longer, you may need to drain the fuel
tank and fill it with fresh gasoline as it might have "turned".
Gasoline breaks down into a varnish when it sits for long periods. It
leaves a sticky goo film on all the internal carburetor parts.

If it's just been a few weeks or so, pouring a small amount down the
throat of the carb works just fine. Hopefully your fuel pump is
working. You don't want to run down the battery endlessly cranking.

Forrest
Old February 28th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Rocco Toma

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...e=STRK:MESE:IT
t...

Old March 7th 08, 07:12 AM posted to rec.autos.antique

Here's a thought . . .

In the "boat" realm of things, they generally use a portable fuel tank.
The tanks are available in 3 gallon or 6 gallon sizes (WalMart has the 6
gallon size and Academy carries the 3 gallon size--both about $25.00
range or less).

In the area at WalMart where the tanks are, there are lots of
accessories for the fuel tank. One is a "primer bulb" that is put
between the fuel tank and the boat engine (as in outboard engine).
There are sizes for 5/16" and 3/8" fuel lines. So, about 5 or 6 feet of
rubber fuel line, the primer bulb, a few hose clamps, plus some gas, and
then you can attach the boat fuel tank set-up to the fuel pump of the
engine (blocking off the car's fuel supply line at the same time). This
will allow you to start and run the engine on "fresh" fuel rather than
what's in the vehicle's fuel tank.

On the earlier carbs, the "bowl vents" can be used to put fuel in the
float bowl too. but that takes some finesse to not also pour it down the
carb throats at the same time.

ALSO, in the various accessories for boat-specific things, there's a
pump kit to do oil changes with. It's about $20.00 and amounts to a
suction pump with dedicated hoses attached to it . . . smaller line goes
down the dipstick tube and the other line goes into a jug to catch the
old oil. You can also buy similar suction pumps from Harbor Freight for
about $10.00 or less, but you'll have to assemble the lines it comes
with to do the same thing. Or even in the automotive area at WalMart.
It can take a little while to do the pump action, but you will only have
to get under the car to change the oil filter that way.

Enjoy!

C-BODY

1998 Audi A6 tdi fuel line filter priming? Ray[_1_] Audi 3 August 28th 06 06:52 PM
Carburetor ID John Ford Mustang 1 December 1st 05 05:07 AM
2001 civic whirring sound at pre-ignition...Fuel pump priming itself? MegaC Honda 3 August 25th 05 01:45 AM
priming the oil pump Ryan Underwood Technology 4 August 10th 05 09:25 PM
Carburetor? Zenteren 4x4 0 July 19th 04 02:28 PM