1990 Honda Accord Idle fluctuation

Old November 20th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 1990 Honda Accord Idle fluctuation

My 1990 Honda Accord 2.2L started to have idle fluctuations
yesterday. The RPM will fluctuate between 1700 and 1000 RPMs when the
car is stopped. The fluctuations don't seem to be noticeable when the
car is in gear. What would cause this? I searched for vacuum leaks
but couldn't find anything. I recently did a tune-up. Please help!
Old November 20th 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

A strong candidate: Top off and monitor the cooling system. It cools certain engine
control sensors. If they are not fully immersed, then the wrong signal gets sent to the
engine control computer.

You should do a proper purge of air from the system as well, though its said over time the
air will vent itself. I prefer going through the roughly half-hour, fairly easy, idle
purge procedure described in the owner's manual and Factory Service manual.

Old November 20th 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Paul Jr

On Nov 20, 10:28 am, "Elle" >
wrote:
> A strong candidate: Top off and monitor the cooling system. It cools certain engine
> control sensors. If they are not fully immersed, then the wrong signal gets sent to the
> engine control computer.
>
> You should do a proper purge of air from the system as well, though its said over time the
> air will vent itself. I prefer going through the roughly half-hour, fairly easy, idle
> purge procedure described in the owner's manual and Factory Service manual.

The coolant system is working properly. Any other ideas?
Old November 22nd 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

replace the PCV valve, and clean the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor,
remove the idle screw and clean the assembly with carb cleaner

if that doesnt fix it then check the Idle Air Control Valve and adjust
the Fast Idle Valve,

excerpt: "its the cylinder on the driver side of the intake manifold,
with the triangular cap with 3 screws. pull them out and take the cap
off, and twist the outer white ring clockwise until its as tight as
possible, and close it back up."

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1704468

Old November 26th 07, 10:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TE Chea

| What would cause this?

Mine had this problem, cause was throttle angle sensor
( a variable resistor ). See
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...r ameters=001

Old November 26th 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Paul Jr

Yes! the fluctuations are only when the car is warm. How do I test for
a stuck Fast Idle Thermo Valve?

Thank you,
Paul

> I'll bet the fluctuations are only when the car is warm.
>
> If so, it's a stuck Fast Idle Thermo Valve. There is a way to test for
> that.
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/

87 Van idle fluctuation Jim Corey VW water cooled 3 April 22nd 07 12:27 AM
Idle fluctuation, 99 Mazda Protege? [email protected] Technology 3 April 1st 05 01:03 AM
IDLE FLUXUATIONS 1990 HONDA CIVIC 1.5 L Stiff Honda 2 February 25th 05 05:32 AM
Idle Fluctuation Chopface Honda 16 November 24th 04 06:01 PM
'96 Civic Idle fluctuation when cold. FartSmeller Honda 2 October 16th 04 01:42 AM