? About Remote Start - 2002 Mustang Coupe 3.8L Automatic

Old February 7th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default ? About Remote Start - 2002 Mustang Coupe 3.8L Automatic

Hello,

Thanks for any help you can provide. I just bought a 2002 Coupe 3.8L
Automatic. The guy who sold it to me had a remote start installed, it
seems to work just fine. But he could only give me one key, he said
the other one was used for the remote start. I asked him if I could
unplug it and he said he had no idea where it was in the car. So now I
would like to make some duplicate PATS keys but I only have one key so
I would need to go to the dealer and pay. Is it possible the key is
inserted into the remote start module? The more I think about it, they
can't work that way because an extra key would be in the car for the
thief. Was the chip probably removed from the key and placed in the
steering column? And if this was the case, Could I get a blank cut in
the shape of my key, and would it work to start the car because the
chip it needs is already in the steering column? Thanks for your
thoughts and any help you can provide.

Brian

Old February 8th 07, 01:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB

wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide. I just bought a 2002 Coupe 3.8L
> Automatic. The guy who sold it to me had a remote start installed, it
> seems to work just fine. But he could only give me one key, he said
> the other one was used for the remote start. I asked him if I could
> unplug it and he said he had no idea where it was in the car. So now I
> would like to make some duplicate PATS keys but I only have one key so
> I would need to go to the dealer and pay. Is it possible the key is
> inserted into the remote start module? The more I think about it, they
> can't work that way because an extra key would be in the car for the
> thief. Was the chip probably removed from the key and placed in the
> steering column? And if this was the case, Could I get a blank cut in
> the shape of my key, and would it work to start the car because the
> chip it needs is already in the steering column? Thanks for your
> thoughts and any help you can provide.
>
> Brian

When we installed the remote start on my wife's
2001 Cougar, they used some kind of relay to bypass the
PATS. We still have both keys.

--
..boB
2006 FXDI hot rod

Old February 8th 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

..boB,

Thanks for your input. I guess that's what I was thinking but I wasn't
sure if these bypass relays actually use a key or not. The information
on the web about them is very minimal.

I'm guessing they broke the key open and put the PATS chip in the
steering column. I ordered two blank PATS keys on Ebay and I am going
to get them cut at the hardware store. If they work, I guess I'll know
where the other key (or at least part of it is).

Can anyone else confirm that the physical key is NOT used inside the
PATS bypass relay?

Thanks again for your help.

Brian

Old February 18th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Carfan

They likely glued the key near the steering column - it is common to do.

ps.com...

Old February 19th 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Blue Gator

Carfan wrote:
> They likely glued the key near the steering column - it is common to do.
>
> > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>Thanks for any help you can provide. I just bought a 2002 Coupe 3.8L
>>Automatic. The guy who sold it to me had a remote start installed, it
>>seems to work just fine. But he could only give me one key, he said
>>the other one was used for the remote start. I asked him if I could
>>unplug it and he said he had no idea where it was in the car. So now I
>>would like to make some duplicate PATS keys but I only have one key so
>>I would need to go to the dealer and pay. Is it possible the key is
>>inserted into the remote start module? The more I think about it, they
>>can't work that way because an extra key would be in the car for the
>>thief. Was the chip probably removed from the key and placed in the
>>steering column? And if this was the case, Could I get a blank cut in
>>the shape of my key, and would it work to start the car because the
>>chip it needs is already in the steering column? Thanks for your
>>thoughts and any help you can provide.
>>
>>Brian

On mine they had to wrap a wire around the key. The installer broke off
the key so it couldn't be used and installed it inside the steering
column. I made an extra key before giving one to the installer.