valve lash every other week, GRRR

Old May 7th 12, 09:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
David Gravereaux

Default valve lash every other week, GRRR

Just venting...

Motor is stock down under with EMPI 3417 merged header exhaust, Weber
ICH dual carbs and SCAT 1.25 ratio rockers. It runs great 'cept I
forgot to change the front engine seal when I had the flywheel turned,
thus it drips quite a bit.. I'll pull it sometime and fix it. Oil temp
even on hot days on the highway never pass 215F ever. The cooling
effect of dual carbs is amazing.

Why the hell do I have to keep adjusting valve lash all the time? I
just did 120 mile road trip yesterday and could hear a valve tightening
up on me and adding the off-beat to the engine sound. I'm doing .004"
when dead cold.

Last time it was intake #1 got tight. This time, intake #1 again with
ext#3 and ext#1 also tight. GRRRR.

Years ago, I told my mother not to get a Porsche 912 becuase, "It'll be
in the shop every other week to have the valves adjusted".

I am my own advice now.

Old May 7th 12, 11:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_9_]

On Mon, 07 May 2012 22:56:02 +0200, David Gravereaux >
wrote:

> Just venting...
>
> Motor is stock down under with EMPI 3417 merged header exhaust, Weber
> ICH dual carbs and SCAT 1.25 ratio rockers. It runs great 'cept I
> forgot to change the front engine seal when I had the flywheel turned,
> thus it drips quite a bit.. I'll pull it sometime and fix it. Oil temp
> even on hot days on the highway never pass 215F ever. The cooling
> effect of dual carbs is amazing.
>
> Why the hell do I have to keep adjusting valve lash all the time? I
> just did 120 mile road trip yesterday and could hear a valve tightening
> up on me and adding the off-beat to the engine sound. I'm doing .004"
> when dead cold.
>
> Last time it was intake #1 got tight. This time, intake #1 again with
> ext#3 and ext#1 also tight. GRRRR.
>
> Years ago, I told my mother not to get a Porsche 912 becuase, "It'll be
> in the shop every other week to have the valves adjusted".
>
> I am my own advice now.

The valve lash is specified to 0.10mm intake and 0.15mm exhaust on the
later engines, so your intakes are adjusted correctly, I have run 0.10mm
on the exhaust also but that is cutting it very close, I used to loose
compression after extended periods at WOT, as in very difficult to restart
whilst still warm.

You are either experiencing valve stretch or seat sinking. In theory it
can also be seat corrosion from unleaded fuel if the material is not
right, quite uncommon these days though..

J.

Old May 7th 12, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_9_]

wrote:

> Just venting...
>
> Motor is stock down under with EMPI 3417 merged header exhaust, Weber
> ICH dual carbs and SCAT 1.25 ratio rockers. It runs great 'cept I
> forgot to change the front engine seal when I had the flywheel turned,
> thus it drips quite a bit.. I'll pull it sometime and fix it. Oil temp
> even on hot days on the highway never pass 215F ever. The cooling
> effect of dual carbs is amazing.
>
> Why the hell do I have to keep adjusting valve lash all the time? I
> just did 120 mile road trip yesterday and could hear a valve tightening
> up on me and adding the off-beat to the engine sound. I'm doing .004"
> when dead cold.
>
> Last time it was intake #1 got tight. This time, intake #1 again with
> ext#3 and ext#1 also tight. GRRRR.
>
> Years ago, I told my mother not to get a Porsche 912 becuase, "It'll be
> in the shop every other week to have the valves adjusted".
>
> I am my own advice now.

My mother had a 944 for a while, had to let it go due to lack of power
steering, no valve probs. though. :0)

J.

Old May 8th 12, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
David Gravereaux

On 05/07/2012 03:49 PM, P.J.Berg wrote:
> The valve lash is specified to 0.10mm intake and 0.15mm exhaust on the
> later engines, so your intakes are adjusted correctly, I have run 0.10mm
> on the exhaust also but that is cutting it very close, I used to loose
> compression after extended periods at WOT, as in very difficult to
> restart whilst still warm.
>
> You are either experiencing valve stretch or seat sinking. In theory it
> can also be seat corrosion from unleaded fuel if the material is not
> right, quite uncommon these days though..

The heads aren't new, but refurb'd back in February with a three-angle.
They had about a year (10K miles) prior. I was thinking stretch or
seat sink a few months ago, but it's still going on.

Could be material..

Are Auto Linea GO1 heads known for this?

Old May 8th 12, 05:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_9_]

On Tue, 08 May 2012 03:24:22 +0200, David Gravereaux >
wrote:

> On 05/07/2012 03:49 PM, P.J.Berg wrote:
>> The valve lash is specified to 0.10mm intake and 0.15mm exhaust on the
>> later engines, so your intakes are adjusted correctly, I have run 0.10mm
>> on the exhaust also but that is cutting it very close, I used to loose
>> compression after extended periods at WOT, as in very difficult to
>> restart whilst still warm.
>>
>> You are either experiencing valve stretch or seat sinking. In theory it
>> can also be seat corrosion from unleaded fuel if the material is not
>> right, quite uncommon these days though..

> The heads aren't new, but refurb'd back in February with a three-angle.
> They had about a year (10K miles) prior. I was thinking stretch or
> seat sink a few months ago, but it's still going on.
>
> Could be material..
>
> Are Auto Linea GO1 heads known for this?

Dont know the heads other than by name. Do a quick check over at the
ShopTalkForums, someone should know on the T1 forum.

J.