CD Players On Their way Out

Old January 13th 12, 11:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
biofilm

Default CD Players On Their way Out

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_new...04-automakers-...

>>> Yep. Remember how many stripped out cassets you could see along the
>>> roads? 8 Track, which right in the middle of a song went kaa chunk.

>> Yep. I think some people were so mad that their relatively new 8-
>> Track or cassette went to **** they'd fling it out the window.
>>
>>> digital is great. Very little space required. far superior to CD
>>> storage and use.

>> So I have to ask. Why are you still using an old-school 12-disc CD
>> changer?
>>
>> Patrick
>>

> I almost bought a new receiver with a USB input, even had the module to
> make the buttons on my steering wheel operate it. But it was a lot of $
> and trouble just to get a USB. Since mine has a Aux. audio input I got an
> inexpensive MP3 player and stuck it on with some velcro.

actually the fast forward works better that way

Old January 14th 12, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
D E Willson

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:35:29 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Jan 12, 4:54*pm, D E Willson > wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 16:39:07 -0800 (PST), "

>> digital is great. Very little space required. far superior to CD
>> storage and use.

>So I have to ask. Why are you still using an old-school 12-disc CD
>changer?

Because.... LOL

Seriously, a priority was to maintain the original look of the car
(sort of a sleeper). That required a stereo which looked like the
original AM radio. That ruled out the "modern" systems. At the time,
USB/iPod/flash drive were not available. Now the companies that
produce old looking modern radios have added those formats, and so
have I. Just have not removed the CD Changer.

Old January 14th 12, 03:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
D E Willson

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 07:34:17 -0600, "WindsorFox<SS>"
> wrote:

>On 1/12/2012 18:35, wrote:
>> On Jan 12, 4:54 pm, D E > wrote:
>>> On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 16:39:07 -0800 (PST), "

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_new...04-automakers-...

>>> Yep. Remember how many stripped out cassets you could see along the
>>> roads? 8 Track, which right in the middle of a song went kaa chunk.

>> Yep. I think some people were so mad that their relatively new 8-
>> Track or cassette went to **** they'd fling it out the window.
>>
>>> digital is great. Very little space required. far superior to CD
>>> storage and use.

>> So I have to ask. Why are you still using an old-school 12-disc CD
>> changer?
>>
>> Patrick
>>

> I almost bought a new receiver with a USB input, even had the module
>to make the buttons on my steering wheel operate it. But it was a lot of
>$ and trouble just to get a USB. Since mine has a Aux. audio input I got
>an inexpensive MP3 player and stuck it on with some velcro.

Nothing wrong with that. We do what we must with the cash we have. LOL
I just added Cruise Control and air conditioning, as well as FloFit
seats. Of course, one upgrade can lead to surprising complications.

The FloFit seats are coming back out though. Better seats but I sit so
high my head touches the headliner. The solution is to lower the seat
pans. I'm just not ready to tear out the interior in order to do that
right now. So, the original seats are being reupholstered with the
Sport Seat (which has better foam and that makes for better bolsters)
option and headrests. Another problem with the FloFit upgrade was that
the seats are very limited by the rear interior panels, so you can't
recline them very far. Lowering the seatpans and angeling them seems
to be the best solution for "reclining".

Another problem experienced with upgrades is like with my front
suspension. The A/C and seats added enough weight to the front that
with no effort, the tires make contact with the fender lip (especially
on the driver side since I am the only person in the car).
Old January 14th 12, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_5_]

" > wrote in message
> Won't be long and CD players will be just a old, quaint accessory at a
> future car show.
>
> http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_new...ing-cd-players
>
> Patrick

TFrog has the original Ford Premium Sound System, AM/FM Cassette. The tape
player hasn't been used in years, and I really only listen to AM for news
and sports. But...

Jean's got that damn Escape with the Sync system, and I admit to being a
mite jealous. I've gone so far as to price out an all-Alpine installation
(with Bluetooth, iPod connectivity, single subwoofer, etc.), but keep
running up against the same problem - it would be installed in an
18-year-old piece o' &%#$ 5.0. The car has other priorities.

FINALLY got off my ass and started prepping for winter. Spent 5 hours last
Sunday with the polish and wax (all Mother's, all the time), but still have
to do the lower molding and panels. Here's a bad photo from Monday:

http://www.tfrog.com/tfrog/7896.jpg

Part of me wanted to stop after the pipes were cleaned, and head back to the
La-Z-Boy. The photo makes TFrog look a bit better than it actually does -
still could use a complete paint job. (Got one quote - $4,000 - and got
scared off.) Even so, while it looks like ass, the polish and wax now makes
it look like shiny ass, and I'm very pleased with the appearance (so long as
it's not in direct sunlight).

The Alpine set-up remains in my Wish List at BestBuy. Meanwhile, my stereo
continues to be the twin pipes out back (especially at 2,000 rpm), and I
have no need for GPS or any desire to talk (hands-free or otherwise) while
driving.

I'm connected at work, connected at home. I prefer TFrog to be a "safe
zone," I think, and don't really need the electronic distraction. Still...

dwight
lately incapable of making a decision

Old January 15th 12, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
D E Willson

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 10:05:28 -0500, "dwight" >
wrote:

" > wrote in message
>> Won't be long and CD players will be just a old, quaint accessory at a
>> future car show.
>>
>> http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_new...ing-cd-players
>>
>> Patrick

>TFrog has the original Ford Premium Sound System, AM/FM Cassette. The tape
>player hasn't been used in years, and I really only listen to AM for news
>and sports. But...
>
>Jean's got that damn Escape with the Sync system, and I admit to being a
>mite jealous. I've gone so far as to price out an all-Alpine installation
>(with Bluetooth, iPod connectivity, single subwoofer, etc.), but keep
>running up against the same problem - it would be installed in an
>18-year-old piece o' &%#$ 5.0. The car has other priorities.
>
>FINALLY got off my ass and started prepping for winter. Spent 5 hours last
>Sunday with the polish and wax (all Mother's, all the time), but still have
>to do the lower molding and panels. Here's a bad photo from Monday:
>
>http://www.tfrog.com/tfrog/7896.jpg
>
>Part of me wanted to stop after the pipes were cleaned, and head back to the
>La-Z-Boy. The photo makes TFrog look a bit better than it actually does -
>still could use a complete paint job. (Got one quote - $4,000 - and got
>scared off.) Even so, while it looks like ass, the polish and wax now makes
>it look like shiny ass, and I'm very pleased with the appearance (so long as
>it's not in direct sunlight).
>
>The Alpine set-up remains in my Wish List at BestBuy. Meanwhile, my stereo
>continues to be the twin pipes out back (especially at 2,000 rpm), and I
>have no need for GPS or any desire to talk (hands-free or otherwise) while
>driving.
>
>I'm connected at work, connected at home. I prefer TFrog to be a "safe
>zone," I think, and don't really need the electronic distraction. Still...
>
>dwight
>lately incapable of making a decision

The stereo is for enjoying while on the road. If I am taking a trip,
my notebook pc with gps/mapping, etc, goes with me.

I never have and never will use my phone while driving. If I get
messages, I'll find out at the next stop. If I get a call, it will go
to voice mail. Even to report an accident, I don't use my cell until I
have pulled over.

And, I agree, the exhaust provides sweet background music. :0)
Old January 15th 12, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

On Jan 14, 9:05*am, "dwight" > wrote:

> TFrog has the original Ford Premium Sound System, AM/FM Cassette. The tape
> player hasn't been used in years, and I really only listen to AM for news
> and sports. But...
>
> Jean's got that damn Escape with the Sync system, and I admit to being a
> mite jealous. I've gone so far as to price out an all-Alpine installation
> (with Bluetooth, iPod connectivity, single subwoofer, etc.), but keep
> running up against the same problem - it would be installed in an
> 18-year-old piece o' &%#$ 5.0. The car has other priorities.

I think what you'd find is that fancy stereo would feel out of place.
In much the same way a modern-style kitchen would look, and be, out of
place in an old farm house. Sure, the new kitchen would have better
functionality, make for easier clean up, etc, but the character of the
room/house is lost. I say unless your factory premium sound system
breaks/stops working, I'd keep what you have.

> FINALLY got off my ass and started prepping for winter. Spent 5 hours last
> Sunday with the polish and wax (all Mother's, all the time), but still have
> to do the lower molding and panels. Here's a bad photo from Monday:

Here's a tip. To make the bottom-half and front/back easier, use
ramps.

> http://www.tfrog.com/tfrog/7896.jpg

She still looks good, Dwight.

> Part of me wanted to stop after the pipes were cleaned, and head back to the
> La-Z-Boy. The photo makes TFrog look a bit better than it actually does -
> still could use a complete paint job. (Got one quote - $4,000 - and got
> scared off.) Even so, while it looks like ass, the polish and wax now makes
> it look like shiny ass,

lol

> and I'm very pleased with the appearance (so long as
> it's not in direct sunlight).

Here's the thing, at T-Frog's age, 19+ years, no one expects a daily-
driven car to be scratch, chip and ding free. But if it's clean,
straight, well-cared for, only minor rust, and not wrecked, it's a
keeper. That's a car ANY car-guy/girl would LOVE to get a hold of and
restore/make a project of. (Think of you opening up an old man/lady's
garage door and finding an old hot rod or muscle car in similar
condition. You'd go nuts. Much the same way some young person will
view yours some day, if not already.) Also note the new trend of old
hot rods with surface rust and faded paint. It's what they looked
like back in the day when they were daily driven, and that makes them
more appealing. As opposed to a freakin' show car you're scared to
drive because it might get a stone chip or a little dirty. Life is
short -- live it, drive it.

> The Alpine set-up remains in my Wish List at BestBuy. Meanwhile, my stereo
> continues to be the twin pipes out back (especially at 2,000 rpm), and I
> have no need for GPS or any desire to talk (hands-free or otherwise) while
> driving.

> I'm connected at work, connected at home. I prefer TFrog to be a "safe
> zone," I think, and don't really need the electronic distraction. Still....

Nope, won't have it. There is no "still." Save the money for
5.0Resto parts.

> lately incapable of making a decision

That's okay. I made it for you... it's done.

What else can I help you with? :-)

Patrick
Old January 16th 12, 04:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
RM V2.0

"dwight" > wrote in message

> " > wrote in message
>> Won't be long and CD players will be just a old, quaint accessory at a
>> future car show.
>>
>> http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_new...ing-cd-players
>>
>> Patrick

> TFrog has the original Ford Premium Sound System, AM/FM Cassette. The tape
> player hasn't been used in years, and I really only listen to AM for news
> and sports. But...
>
> Jean's got that damn Escape with the Sync system, and I admit to being a
> mite jealous. I've gone so far as to price out an all-Alpine installation
> (with Bluetooth, iPod connectivity, single subwoofer, etc.), but keep
> running up against the same problem - it would be installed in an
> 18-year-old piece o' &%#$ 5.0. The car has other priorities.

I did that in a POS '81 corolla hatchback, in 1998. $2G of stereo in a $200
car. But car ran great and I like my tunes.

Old January 19th 12, 06:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
biofilm

"dwight" > wrote in message

> " > wrote in message
>> Won't be long and CD players will be just a old, quaint accessory at a
>> future car show.
>>
>> http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_new...ing-cd-players
>>
>> Patrick

> TFrog has the original Ford Premium Sound System, AM/FM Cassette. The tape
> player hasn't been used in years, and I really only listen to AM for news
> and sports. But...
>
> Jean's got that damn Escape with the Sync system, and I admit to being a
> mite jealous. I've gone so far as to price out an all-Alpine installation
> (with Bluetooth, iPod connectivity, single subwoofer, etc.), but keep
> running up against the same problem - it would be installed in an
> 18-year-old piece o' &%#$ 5.0. The car has other priorities.
>
> FINALLY got off my ass and started prepping for winter. Spent 5 hours last
> Sunday with the polish and wax (all Mother's, all the time), but still
> have to do the lower molding and panels. Here's a bad photo from Monday:
>
> http://www.tfrog.com/tfrog/7896.jpg

looks great!
(I should not have sold my 1993 5.0, darn it! )