Ford Loses Record $12.7B in 2006

Old January 25th 07, 05:44 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.trucks.ford

Default Ford Loses Record $12.7B in 2006

January 25, 2007

By Nick Bunkley
New York Times

DEARBORN, Mich., Jan. 25 - The Ford Motor Company had the worst year
in its history in 2006, losing $12.7 billion and suffering sharp
erosion of its share of the United States auto market.

Ford lost $5.8 billion in the fourth quarter alone, the company
reported today. In the same period a year earlier, it lost a
comparatively trivial $74 million.

The company took in $160.1 billion in revenue in 2006, 9 percent less
than in 2005.

Ford's full-year loss, equivalent to $6.79 per share, far exceeded
the $7.39 billion it lost in 1992, the worst previous year in its
103-year history, and it even surpassed the $10.6 billion loss posted
by General Motors in 2005. But it is still short of the $23.5 billion
that G.M. lost in its worst year, 1992.

Most of Ford's red ink in 2006 came from the cost of shrinking and
reorganizing the company, buying out workers and writing down asset
values. Those charges accounted for $9.9 billion of the full-year loss
after taxes. But Ford's day-to-day business did very poorly as well,
with a loss of $2.8 billion on continuing operations, compared with a
$1.9 billion loss in 2005.

The figures were an unwelcome surprise to many Wall Street analysts,
who on average had forecast a loss of about $2.5 billion for the year,
excluding restructuring charges and other costs that Ford considers
one-time items.

Still, Ford's stock price ticked upward in morning trading, gaining
about 20 cents a share to trade near $8.40 a share at midday, roughly
where it was a year ago. The stock has been rising since mid-December,
in part because gasoline prices have eased a bit.

Ford's woes are greatest in North America, where its automotive
operations lost $6.1 billion before taxes, and sales revenue fell by 14
percent to $69.4 billion. The North American losses, four times as bad
as the year before, more than wiped out profits from automotive
operations overseas.

Jonathan Steinmetz, an automotive analyst at Morgan Stanley, called
those results "terrible," noting that the North American figures
represent a loss of $4,700 on every vehicle sold.

"The best we can say for the quarter is that it's over," Mr.
Steinmetz wrote in a note to clients this morning.

The fourth quarter of 2006 was the first full earnings period for Ford
under its new chief executive, Alan R. Mulally, who was hired away from
Boeing in September. With Mr. Mulally at the helm, Ford took the
unprecedented step of pledging nearly all of its United States assets,
from its factories to its blue oval logo, as collateral to borrow more
than $23 billion.

The financing leaves Ford with access to $46 billion in cash, although
it expects to burn through $17 billion by 2009. In addition, the
interest that Ford must pay will most likely drive down earnings from
automotive operations even more in 2007. But the company's chief
financial officer, Don R. Leclair, said Ford's overall results will
be "substantially better" this year.

Mr. Mulally insisted repeatedly today, on a conference call with
reporters and analysts, that Ford's effort to overhaul itself, known
as the Way Forward, is on track. But to outside observers, the
company's financial results have yet to give any sign of progress,
and Ford concedes that its market share will continue to slide at least
through September.

"We began aggressive actions in 2006 to restructure our automotive
business so we can operate profitably at lower volumes and with a
product mix that better reflects consumer demand for smaller, more fuel
efficient vehicles," Mr. Mulally said. "We fully recognize our
business reality and are dealing with it. We have a plan and we are on
track to deliver."

About 40 percent of Ford's hourly workers - some 30,000 employees
- have agreed to leave their jobs this year in exchange for buyout or
early-retirement packages, and the company is also shedding about
14,000 salaried positions. Those cuts, along with plans to close nine
plants by the end of next year, are part of the Way Forward plan, which
is meant to return the company to profitability in North America by
2009.

In 2006, Mr. Mulally said, Ford cut its annual structural costs by $1.4
billion. The restructuring plan calls for shaving off another $3.6
billion within two years.

Ford's financial deterioration has caused something of a brain drain
at the company, and the arrival of Mr. Mulally has been expected to
prompt some other executives to leave as well. Despite its huge losses,
Mr. Mulally acknowledged today that the company is considering offering
bonuses to some executives to persuade them to stay on.

"At the end of the day, our success going forward will depend on
having a skilled and motivated team," he said, adding that a final
decision would be made in the next few months.

The move could backfire by making unionized workers more resistant to
the concessions that Ford wants from them to become more competitive.
Ford did not pay any bonuses in 2005, when it made $1.44 billion.

Ford expects to lose its grip on second place in the American market
sometime this year, when it is overtaken by Toyota. Ford's market
share has fallen to 17.5 percent last year, from 25.7 percent a decade
ago. By the end of the year, Ford's internal projections show that
the company may even fall to fourth place, behind Toyota, the Chrysler
unit of DaimlerChrysler and General Motors, the market leader.

Mr. Mulally caused a stir in Detroit last month when he flew to Tokyo
to meet with Fujio Cho, the chairman of the Toyota Motor Company. Mr.
Mulally said he asked for Mr. Cho's advice on ways to streamline
Ford's manufacturing operations, and the that the two men had
discussed cooperation on some technical matters.

But Mr. Mulally could well have sought Mr. Cho's financial counsel,
too, because the Ford loss for 2006 happens to almost exactly match the
profit Toyota earned in 2005. That means there is a difference of more
than $25 billion between the two companies' financial performances.

The biggest blow to Ford in recent years has come from rising gasoline
prices, which depressed sales of the big pickups and sport utility
vehicles it depends on for profits.

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C @
http://community.webshots.com/album/18644819fHAehGJAjt

Old January 25th 07, 06:11 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.trucks.ford
Mike Hunter

Stockholders know that when a company is not profitable and deductible
business expenses exceed income, that is a good time to make tax free
capital investments. Ford is spending billons on a half dozen new products
and modernizing its plants.

ups.com...

Old January 25th 07, 09:23 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.trucks.ford
Old Man

It might have something to do with the boycott. Ford is a faggot loving
supporter of queers.

Old January 25th 07, 10:29 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.trucks.ford
nospam

Whay do you say that?

link.net...

Old January 25th 07, 11:57 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.trucks.ford
Old Man

Ho here http://www.boycottford.com/

Old January 26th 07, 01:59 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.trucks.ford
Ford Tech

OMG that site is such HORSE****!! They are siting Fords efforts to become
more diversified by adverstising in gay magazines and stuff??? Um, lets see
where does ford advertise for jobs? The answer to that is clear. They
advertise everywhere!!

I can not believe anyone would take stock in that website, or that Ford is
either for or against homosexual activities..

Let's be honest about this for a moment though. What is the fastest growing
group of people in the United States today? Its homosexual people, and what
do they buy? Cars... Who makes those cars? FORD.

Ok so now that we have that out of the way. Now, yeah they are advertising
diversity in their workforce, but at the same time they are gaining another
view on their vehicles. What do you want them to just forget about that
group altogether? I wouldnt. If you ask me its just smart advertising.

Those freakin homophobes with that website need to pull their heads out of
their ass. Homosexuality is here to stay, might as well just get used to it.
Some 50,000 or 100,000 people in America out of some 300,000,000 people
boycotting one auto maker is not going to make that big of a difference in
their profits for it to matter who they support, or advertise with. In fact
they wouldnt do it if they didnt think it would be profitable for their
business.

Lets discuss that for a second. On one hand you are ****ing off about what
maybe 1,000,000 radical homophobes, and on the other hand you are pleasing
about 5-6,000,000 homosexuals? So where is the downside to supporting
homosexuality? From where I sit, there isnt one.

Ford Tech

link.net...

Old January 26th 07, 02:17 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.trucks.ford
Jeff[_10_]

"Old Man" > wrote in message
link.net...
> It might have something to do with the boycott. Ford is a faggot loving
> supporter of queers.

Yeah, right.

I would rather give my business to Ford because they treat all people as
human.

Jeff

Old January 26th 07, 02:56 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.trucks.ford
Hawk

"Mike Hunter" > wrote in message
> Stockholders know that when a company is not profitable and deductible
> business expenses exceed income, that is a good time to make tax free
> capital investments. Ford is spending billons on a half dozen new
> products and modernizing its plants.

and spending billions in paying off 50,000 slacker union workers to quit

Old January 26th 07, 02:57 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.trucks.ford
Hawk

"Ford Tech" > wrote in message
> OMG that site is such HORSE****!! They are siting Fords efforts to become
> more diversified by adverstising in gay magazines and stuff??? Um, lets
> see where does ford advertise for jobs? The answer to that is clear. They
> advertise everywhere!!
>
> I can not believe anyone would take stock in that website, or that Ford is
> either for or against homosexual activities..
>
> Let's be honest about this for a moment though. What is the fastest
> growing group of people in the United States today? Its homosexual people,
> and what do they buy? Cars... Who makes those cars? FORD.
>
> Ok so now that we have that out of the way. Now, yeah they are advertising
> diversity in their workforce, but at the same time they are gaining
> another view on their vehicles. What do you want them to just forget about
> that group altogether? I wouldnt. If you ask me its just smart
> advertising.
>
> Those freakin homophobes with that website need to pull their heads out of
> their ass. Homosexuality is here to stay, might as well just get used to
> it. Some 50,000 or 100,000 people in America out of some 300,000,000
> people boycotting one auto maker is not going to make that big of a
> difference in their profits for it to matter who they support, or
> advertise with. In fact they wouldnt do it if they didnt think it would be
> profitable for their business.
>
> Lets discuss that for a second. On one hand you are ****ing off about what
> maybe 1,000,000 radical homophobes, and on the other hand you are pleasing
> about 5-6,000,000 homosexuals? So where is the downside to supporting
> homosexuality? From where I sit, there isnt one.
>
> Ford Tech

you must be a ford fag,

Old January 26th 07, 03:22 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.trucks.ford
News Skimmer

....and dog gonnit....people like me.

Treat people as human. WTF? They treated me like **** when I figured out I
had a burned valve in my 32v navigator while still in warranty and they
declined to help me.

Maybe I should have worn a skirt.