Intermittent no start when hot 2004 Mustang

Old January 23rd 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jessica V.

Default Intermittent no start when hot 2004 Mustang

I have a 2004 Mustang, with about 11k miles, with an intermittent no
start problem. It began after it got cold outside and I began running
the heat in the car, I had no problems in the summer or through
mid-fall. What happened was that on cold days, after the car warmed up
a quick stop at the store would sometimes mean that the car would not
start when I went back out to start it as few as five minutes to as
many as forty-five minutes later. I'd push in the clutch, turn the key
and it wouldn't even try to turn over, all the auxiliary components
work, but silence from the starter and engine.

There's been no consistency to the problem. But it only happens when
it's cold outside, the car is warm, and has only been off briefly. It
is under warranty, the dealership had it for a week and it never did it
while they were trying to reproduce the problem, nor does the computer
kick back any error codes. Has anyone had a similar problem, and if so
how was it resolved?

Thanks,
Jessica

Old January 27th 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
nospam

It seems unusual for this to happen to an '04, BUT, the same thing happened
to me back in '80 with a '71 mustang.
It turned out that my started motor was getting weak. When the engine is
warmed up, it has higher compression, therefore, it's more work for the
starter to turn the engine over.
I had to leave the car running when I went to the store, etc. unless I'd let
the car cool way down before trying to start it again.
Turns out, I had to replace the starter. Once that was done she started
right up every time!
Hope this helps,
Dave

oups.com...