Top 5 racing sims?

Old December 7th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PW

Default Top 5 racing sims?

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 04:08:18 -0500, Chang Liu
> wrote:

>PW wrote:
>> On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 03:51:42 -0500, Chang Liu
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> How can you consider CMR a sim? Its arcade at best...

>> what is CMR?
>>

>Colin McRae Rally.

Oh Well, I ordered any way from GoGamer and it's on it's way. I'm
sure I will have some fun with it.

Thanks,

-pw
Old December 7th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Vectrex

Seriously, get Richard Burns Rally while you're at it. They are
different games, CMR is fun, which at first I couldn't say RBR was
'fun' exactly, but the smile on my face was mainly to do with how real
it felt and how unforgiving it was Basically if you try and play it
without doing the rally school section they warn you because it really
doesn't dumb it down one bit. CMR the roads are wide and it's very
easy, in RBR the roads are crazy thin and the damage model is brutal
(thankfully you can turn it off). Put it this way, it took me a long
time before I could make it through a single stage without rolling and
smashing even down a straight road! While this makes it sound
annoying it's not, because when you're going fast it actually feels as
fast as it should. Whereas CMR you're going flat out all the time with
no danger so there's no seat of the pants feeling, good to play while
eating a sandwich though
Btw CMR 1 still has the best in cockpit view ever.

Old December 7th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Vectrex

As for FF, I think the only game I've played who's FF actually felt
real and truly enhances the game is Richard Burns Rally. I'm still
amazed by it, I feel completely connected to the road surface.
rFactor's is terrible, LFS is ok and worth having but still not great.
In RBR the only thing that ruins it a bit is my MOMO simply can't turn
fast enough without the FF motors 'biting'. I had a go on a G25 and
that thing can spin flat out so I can't wait to try RBR with a G25.

Old December 7th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

Dave F enlightened us with:
> I didn't say it's JUST you, I said....it's you.....not the sim. Big
> difference.
>
> You and any the others who have these complaints aren't doing
> something right, but are blaming the sim instead of correcting the
> mistake. A 129.2 at Suzuka in CTDP F1 is simply impossible if the
> game engine forces the cars to be loose at the limit.

<<<politely snipped>>>

BULLLLLLLL****.
that makes about as much sense as saying you are fast in Mario Cart. that
has little to do with the sim coding/behavior as well, you've learned (or
unlearned) how to cope with shortcomings that the rest of us dummies cant
(apparently), and you DONT think it is the sim?

For arguements sake, my son can kick all our asses on playstation games, yet
cant turn a lap above half throttle in realistic sims on the PC. He's 12,
and has about 10 hours of country road REAL automobile driving experience
(not alone but with me in there). He can drive the **** out of GT3, and
Need for speeds and ATV vs MX LOL, but I dont plan to sleep while he is
driving.

Gaming reflexes don't mean driving reflexes neither IMHO.

Old December 7th 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jason moyer

Larry wrote:
> Gogaming (or gogamer, i forget) .com. I got it there for like $20, and it
> came on a single DVD in a snap-case, no copy protection I'm aware of, and
> doesn't require the disc to be inserted to play.

The game shipped with copy protection which was removed in a patch
after the initial buying period. I wish more companies would follow
SCI's example, especially considering that copy protection companies
(even Starforce of all people) recommend removing the protection once
the initial heavy sales period has concluded.

Old December 7th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Mine actually came with it removed. No key or anything.

-Larry

ups.com...

Old December 8th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PW

On 7 Dec 2006 06:36:19 -0800, "Vectrex" > wrote:

>Seriously, get Richard Burns Rally while you're at it.

That is the one I ordered. Don't know how we got on the subject of
CMR. I guess I screwed up.

-pw

Old December 8th 06, 06:25 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

No ever mentioned mobil 1 rally- an EA release from 2000; very advanced
for it's time; exciting and immersive gameplay and really a lot of fun.
I know it didn't sell well, but I'm sure someone here has tried it and
care to offer an opinion on it.

Old December 8th 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Dave F

"jason moyer" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Dave F wrote:
>
>> Please answer the following question with something logical and factual,
>> and
>> I'll quit sim racing forever.
>>
>> "Now how can I or anyone do those times, and they look like they do in
>> replays, if the sim feels and drives like you say??"

> Because you're using a driving style that works for the sim. You've
> mentioned being smooth without sawing away at the wheel like people do
> in GPL, yet if you look at half the guys on the grid in F1 they're
> anything but smooth. If you tried to use a technique like Schumacher
> does in any ISI open wheeled sim that I've tried, i.e. early throttle
> application and using the wheel to keep the car on the edge of the
> traction circle, I doubt you could make it through 2 corners without
> losing the rear of the car. I can drive F1C and rFactor just fine if I
> try to drive overly smoothly, but that's not my style. A good sim,
> regardless of the subjective "realism" factor, should be able to cater
> to a diversity of styles just as real cars do. Not everyone drives an
> F1 car like Prost, but his style is pretty much the only one that works
> in ISI open wheelers.

When I say "smooth", I'm referring to how the car appears to a spectator. No
one saws at the wheel in real F1 like we would in GPL. Depending on the
circumstances (track/corner/chicane/cold tires/hot tires/worn tires) there
are times when I have to really work the wheel like F1 drivers sometimes
have to do. As for Schumacher's techinique that you described, that's
exactly how I drive. I brake deep into a corner and then early throttle.
Often overlappling the two. If I make a mistake and the rear end kicks out,
I can pull it back. Even when the car goes into a full slide, it can
sometimes be saved. No difference from the real thing. Other types of cars
require a different approach to the F1 cars and I have no problem with them
either.

I ran the Megane mod at R.A.C.E.R. recently and mistakenly chose the wrong
ff option in the upgrades section. The car felt disconnected from the road,
and I was 2 seconds off the pace at WG Long. Later I went back and changed
the setting and the car felt great and I found those two seconds and a
little bit more immediately. It was MY fault that the car didn't feel right
and I was struggling, not the sim.

Whatever is necessary, the sim allows it. Thousands of others agree
apparently. The only place I've read these complaints are here at r.a.s. by
the same handful of guys who've always said the same thing about ISI sims. I
race at R.A.C.E.R. and we just completed an F1 season. 20 drivers on the
grid, 10 team owners and at least 15 test drivers. About 45 alltogether, and
never once did anyone ever say they were struggling with the car and try to
blame it on the sim. My teammate and I both used the same setups, but he
uses a non-force feedback wheel and I use a DFP, and yet our results are
close to identical.

--
David G Fisher

Old December 8th 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Dave F

"Plowboy" > wrote in message

> Dave F enlightened us with:
>> I didn't say it's JUST you, I said....it's you.....not the sim. Big
>> difference.
>>
>> You and any the others who have these complaints aren't doing
>> something right, but are blaming the sim instead of correcting the
>> mistake. A 129.2 at Suzuka in CTDP F1 is simply impossible if the
>> game engine forces the cars to be loose at the limit.
>>

> <<<politely snipped>>>
>
> BULLLLLLLL****.
> that makes about as much sense as saying you are fast in Mario Cart. that
> has little to do with the sim coding/behavior as well, you've learned (or
> unlearned) how to cope with shortcomings that the rest of us dummies cant
> (apparently), and you DONT think it is the sim?
>
> For arguements sake, my son can kick all our asses on playstation games,
> yet cant turn a lap above half throttle in realistic sims on the PC. He's
> 12, and has about 10 hours of country road REAL automobile driving
> experience (not alone but with me in there). He can drive the **** out of
> GT3, and Need for speeds and ATV vs MX LOL, but I dont plan to sleep while
> he is driving.
>
> Gaming reflexes don't mean driving reflexes neither IMHO.

Funny post, doesn't relate to me at all, but it's amusing. BTW, you seem to
think you are somehow speaking for all serious sim drivers, but you are not.
An awful lot of top sim drivers are running this sim and praising it. Maybe
they should switch over to Mario Cart.
--
David G Fisher

What racing sims have really large cties to just explore? Jon Purkey Simulators 10 June 29th 06 06:05 PM
How many racing sims? gse Simulators 7 December 27th 05 11:11 AM
Where are the new open cockpit racing sims? nathantw Simulators 4 November 22nd 05 05:51 PM
Mustang Returns to Sports Car Racing Grover C. McCoury III Ford Mustang 0 January 29th 05 05:39 PM
TrackIR and Racing Sims? BRH Simulators 4 December 21st 04 12:20 PM