I'll NEVER buy another VW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old October 8th 06, 06:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Mike Smith

Default I'll NEVER buy another VW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt B. wrote:
> "Mike Smith" > wrote in message
>> none2u wrote:
>>> Audi DSG is good, All others suck . Single clutch DSG transmission, Not
>>> as smooth as an automatic ,and not as involved as a manual.

>> How can a supposed "DSG" have a single clutch? The "D" in DSG stands for
>> *Dual*. If you mean other auto-shifting torque-converter-less manuals,
>> like BMW's SMG, then I agree, they're not nearly as good.

> well actually the 'D' stands for "direct"
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ds+for%22+audi

Well, spank me and paint my ass purple. OK, then. But still, even
"D"-for-"Direct" implies that the shift is just that - *direct* from one
gear to another, rather than having to clutch-shift-declutch, which is
what makes the DSG so much smoother and quicker than, say, SMG.

--
Mike Smith
Old October 8th 06, 06:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Mike Smith

Richie wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 11:56:53 -0400, none2u wrote:
>
>> Audi DSG is good, All others suck . Single clutch DSG transmission, Not as
>> smooth as an automatic ,and not as involved as a manual.
>> "Mike Smith" > wrote in message

> They are all DUAL clutch and the tranny is fantastic.

All VW/Audi DSGs, yes. But not all auto-shifting gearboxes. BMW's SMG,
for instance, uses a single (multiplate, perhaps?) clutch - it's
basically a conventional manual tranny where the actual moving around of
gears is automated.

--
Mike Smith
Old October 8th 06, 12:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Peter Parker

In article >,
Lost In Space/Woodchuck > wrote:
>Many of the newer VW's have auto trans made by ASIAN(SP) from Japan. The
>Touareg uses such a unit as I'm sure also the New 05 Jetta & 06 Passat.
>Don't have my info books here now.

It's about time. If you can't beat them, join them. The Toyota AT is what
I would call the best automatic tranny. This tranny can to the distance
like a manual transmission.

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old October 8th 06, 12:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
William Longyard

"Mike Smith" > wrote in
> All VW/Audi DSGs, yes. But not all auto-shifting gearboxes. BMW's SMG,
> for instance, uses a single (multiplate, perhaps?) clutch - it's basically
> a conventional manual tranny where the actual moving around of gears is
> automated.

I believe the lowly, and humble, Saturn auto tranny works that way, too. My
local tranny expert says the Saturn box is great.

Bill Longyard

Old October 9th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Mike Smith

William Longyard wrote:
> "Mike Smith" > wrote in
>> All VW/Audi DSGs, yes. But not all auto-shifting gearboxes. BMW's SMG,
>> for instance, uses a single (multiplate, perhaps?) clutch - it's basically
>> a conventional manual tranny where the actual moving around of gears is
>> automated.
>>

> I believe the lowly, and humble, Saturn auto tranny works that way, too. My
> local tranny expert says the Saturn box is great.

Which Saturn are you referring to? The Saturn LS2 I bought in 2000 had
a plain ol' GM automatic. You may be thinking of the CVT that Saturn
uses in some vehicles (like the VUE, IIRC). AFAIK no GM car in the US
uses a DSG or other computer-controlled gearbox like SMG.

--
Mike Smith
Old October 9th 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
William Longyard

I'm talking about the SL series. I was told it was pretty much a manual box
with hydraulically controlled shifter.

Bill Longyard

Old October 9th 06, 06:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Mike Smith

William Longyard wrote:
> I'm talking about the SL series. I was told it was pretty much a manual box
> with hydraulically controlled shifter.

I've certainly never heard anything like that. Google doesn't give any
such information, but it does turn up this page:

http://www.autopartsfair.com/saturn-transmissions/

which makes it pretty clear that it's a traditional autobox with
planetary gearset and torque converter.

--
Mike Smith