What racing sims have really large cties to just explore?

Old June 22nd 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default What racing sims have really large cties to just explore?

One of my favorite racing games is Midtown Madness 2 because it has
two large cities that I can just explore in cruise mode.

I have not been keeping up with the latest in racing simulators/games
because my old computer wasn't up to the task. But now that I have a
new computer I would like to buy another racing game or two. And the
main thing I'd want is really large tracks/cities that I can just
explore without racing. I'd also want to be able to drive anywhere
without invisible boundaries blocking my way. Racing, such as circuit
and checkpoint races, is fun too, but I don't want it to be a
necessity to drive.

Any suggestions? The bigger and more detailed the cities are the
better.

Old June 22nd 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> the main thing I'd want is really large tracks/cities that I can just
> explore without racing. I'd also want to be able to drive anywhere
> without invisible boundaries blocking my way.

If you're willing to accept the depression-era setting, fictional
(although based on real-life) depression-era cars, and a fictional city,
"Mafia" might be one to check out. The main game (which is very, very
good, BTW) is a hybrid of first-person shooter + mission-oriented
driving, but there's also a free-driving mode where you can tool around
town as you please in period vehicles.

The city is quite extensive, with different neighborhoods, bridges,
stoplights, traffic, pedestrians, etc. -- plus you can drive a little
ways out of town into the surrounding hills, as well.

The physics modeling, while not exactly hardcore sim, is certainly not
horrible, and for my money, it's at least on par with MTM.

- Doug
Old June 23rd 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> main thing I'd want is really large tracks/cities that I can just
> explore without racing.

World Racing 1 and 2 have complete 3d terrains, that allow you to
drive anywhere, not just on the roads, but world racing 1 is hard to
find these days.

Need For Speed: Underground 2 has large city areas that you can
roam around in. Need For Speed:Most Wanted also has large city areas,
but if you're roaming, you're bound to pick up cops that will chase you.

Some videos:

World Racing 1:

http://jeffareid.net/wr1/wr1nv5.wmv

http://jeffareid.net/wr1/wr1c14.wmv

World Racing 2:

http://jeffareid.net/wr2/wr2it3.wmv

Actual off road "course" in World Racing 2:

http://jeffareid.net/wr2/wr2gl.wmv

A track in NFS:Underground 2:

http://jeffareid.net/nfs8/n8ob.wmv

Outruns in NFS:Underground 2:

http://jeffareid.net/nfs8/n8or.wmv

A pursuit in NFS:Most Wanted:

http://jeffareid.net/nfs9/n9fprw.wmv

Old June 23rd 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

GTA Vice City or GTA San Andreas come to mind.

Old June 23rd 06, 09:20 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Gil" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> GTA Vice City or GTA San Andreas come to mind.

Those don't count as "racing" games Gil.

Old June 24th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 17:44:37 -0700, "Jeff Reid"
> wrote:

>World Racing 1 and 2 have complete 3d terrains, that allow you to
>drive anywhere, not just on the roads, but world racing 1 is hard to
>find these days.
>
>Need For Speed: Underground 2 has large city areas that you can
>roam around in. Need For Speed:Most Wanted also has large city areas,
>but if you're roaming, you're bound to pick up cops that will chase you.

Thanks. Yes, NFS Underground is a game I was already considering. I
will take a look at the other NFS gane and World Racing too. I'll
check eBay if I can't find any of them new.

I have bookmarked the videos, but may have to wait until I get FIOS
before downloading some of the largest ones. Still on dial-up right
now.

Old June 24th 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 19:24:05 GMT, Doug Olsen
> wrote:

>If you're willing to accept the depression-era setting, fictional
>(although based on real-life) depression-era cars, and a fictional city,
>"Mafia" might be one to check out. The main game (which is very, very
>good, BTW) is a hybrid of first-person shooter + mission-oriented
>driving, but there's also a free-driving mode where you can tool around
>town as you please in period vehicles.
>
>The city is quite extensive, with different neighborhoods, bridges,
>stoplights, traffic, pedestrians, etc. -- plus you can drive a little
>ways out of town into the surrounding hills, as well.

Sounds like fun. I will check it out. A good storyline can be fun. But
often I just want to drive and explore, which is something I can't do
for real because of my eyesight.

Old June 24th 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

That is why the GTA games are so great. You can just drive and explore
3 huge virtual cities. Lots of stuff going on in them, too.

Old June 25th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Gil" > wrote in news:1151168286.740054.22020
@y41g2000cwy.googlegroups.com:

> That is why the GTA games are so great. You can just drive and explore
> 3 huge virtual cities. Lots of stuff going on in them, too.

Supposedly you can even take a 4x4 pickup into the surrounding hills and
find Bigfoot.

dh
Old June 29th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

On 24 Jun 2006 09:58:06 -0700, "Gil" >
wrote:

>That is why the GTA games are so great. You can just drive and explore
>3 huge virtual cities. Lots of stuff going on in them, too.

Thanks. I'll be sure to add the GTA games to my list, even if the
comment about bigfoot is not true.

Projector for racing sims Zuben el Genubi Simulators 11 January 19th 06 02:30 AM
How many racing sims? gse Simulators 7 December 27th 05 11:11 AM
Where are the new open cockpit racing sims? nathantw Simulators 4 November 22nd 05 05:51 PM
Mustang Returns to Sports Car Racing Grover C. McCoury III Ford Mustang 0 January 29th 05 05:39 PM
TrackIR and Racing Sims? BRH Simulators 4 December 21st 04 12:20 PM